Gholas

Vanguard3000

Does anyone know the etymology (if any) of the word "ghola"? Is it Arabic, like many words in Dune, or Slavonic (Of which Galach is partially based on)? Personally, I always thought it was a play on the term "ghoul", referring to a reanimated corpse, which is very fitting.

And... Um... For those who were expecting a more interesting topic... Uh... what was your favourite Dune-related word or name? One of my favourites was Czigo. I also liked how many words had become truncated compound words, such as lasgun, repkit, crysknife, etc.

I like how every language used goes back to some dealings with ancient Terra. The bene gesserit use a lot of hebrew,latin,oriental languages and created many of their own. I like how Galach is based on almost a Cryllic or greek standard. thats what I have seen from the books. i also like how the fremen and other offshoots of the zenzunni such as the tleilaxu use a lot of eastern arabic language and religion. It is a perfect example of how future societies turn into a hodge podge of ancient language and culture.

TMA: I agree. I think it's an interesting interperetation of how things can evolve (or not, in some cases) over thousands of years.

Dust Scout: I've always though "pickle" was a pretty funny word.

So, I guess no one has any comment about my theory of the etymology of "ghola".

Well a ghoul is an evil spirit or demon who plunder graves and feed on corpses. Thats the closest meaning that I could find. But like y'all were talkin about before, words and languages do mix in the ministries because of the time period.