War will happen, WHAT'S NEXT ?

zamboe

No matter what happens, US and UK will invade Irak.

They will kill many military Irak forces and unfortunately many civilians die too. (There was been no war without civilians casualties)

Two open questions for you guys :

1. Do you think the war will be short or it will last a long time ?

2. How much do you think the way "most" of the world see the US will change after this ?

My view :

1. War will last very long. Hunting Sadam won't be easy, given the fact the US mission is to kill him. For a very long time we will have to suffer high oil prices and high inflation too (as a result prices of almost everything will sky rocket).

2. A few hundreds of Iraq refugees will return to Iraq to acomplish US and UK commands in a new non-democratic goverment. The hard feelings/hate against the US in all over the world will increase too much, people living in democracies, no-democracies, first/third world will increase with passion their hard feelings/hate against US policies, and others will begin feeling that way too. Small and medium level terrorist atacks against US interest all over the world will increase in about everywhere (like Hamas style), US citizens will feel less safety not only in his own country but more in dangerous when they are in any other country. For almost any muslim with hard feelings against the US and UK any citizen of those countries will be a potential target in almost any place. US will be in a permanent level of highets alert for many years.

Many goverments in the world wont support any more the US. And other will stop supporting them.

I don't even want to think, yet, what will be the reaction of the world if the US or any other country just pretends to start a war against Iran or North Korea after the war on Irak. I worry about the world after all this, war age seems to be coming back.

1. short, saddam will either be trapped, or all his forces will be taken out, and the US will try to hunt him for months, if not years to come but that is not realy a war, merely a hunt.

2. it depends, if iraq DOES have weapons of mass destruction, most people will support the US's attack... if iraq doesn't, they'll see Bush as a madman in a mad war against terrorism

1. War will last about two months for airstrike campaign and possibly first attacks of diversionists. Then not more (if there would be no real complications) than one will last march of US Army on Bagdad. Cleansing of last loyal Saddam's forces will take next half-year, if not, then less. Saddam will escape to Syria, or will be assassinated by US units, or his own. There is a possibility he will be lynched like Causescu or Mussolini, but that will come if ground attack will be slowed.

2. Same view as after attack against Milosevic or Afghanistan. Those who hate them remain with that, supporters would say "at last someone kicked his ass!" and neutral or isolationists would try to find every bad move in war.

2. Same view as after attack against Milosevic or Afghanistan. Those who hate them remain with that, supporters would say "at last someone kicked his ass!" and neutral or isolationists would try to find every bad move in war.

Not really the same view. Because firts it was Milosevic then Afganistan, now Irak. Hard feeling are increasing as events happens, at some point the balloon will explote.

1. Do you think the war will be short or it will last a long time?

A: No, it won't be long. Remember the Gulf War? Well, I think it'll be pretty much the same. Besides that, what does Iraq really have? Anyways, the war will not be longer than a year.

2. How much do you think the way "most" of the world see the US will change after this?

A: Bush can not afford having wrong. They WILL (AT ANY COST!) find nuclear, biological or chemical (forbidden to Iraq) weapons.

Not really the same view. Because firts it was Milosevic then Afganistan, now Irak. Hard feeling are increasing as events happens, at some point the balloon will explote.

Baloon will explode? There will be always opposition, but it is intelligent enough to not start a civil war ;) If the opposers were numerally major to supporters, than those wars wouldn't come, just media show only demonstrations. And pro-war demonstrations never were.

Here's an article about what could happen after the war. Namely, even more oppression of the Iraqi people:

Reports in the US press have said that the US administration is considering a plan to occupy Iraq and install a US-led military government as a way of avoiding the country's chaotic disintegration.

So much for democracy... Iraq will be occupied by foreigners and a "whitey" (as Emprworm would say) dictator will be installed to keep the people opressed. Any dissent will be labeled as "terrorism"...

OF COURSE! Look: Britons leaved China, which quickly fell into 20-year civil war with civilian casualties comparable to Europe's 1940s. They leaved India, causing creation of one of the most unstable states which three times fought with its former part and now, when both have nukes, they have no moral barriers to start fourth slaughtery. I know my imperialism would disgust you, but I think it's only way to make a stabile world. Euroamerican culture isn't as brutal in fight as those others. Some countries show a try to become a stabile and prospering. But should we wait until those, who try to prospere on their neighbours' property will cause a world war?

So, we should leave Saddam let he reigns for next 20 years in your opinion. What's THEN next? Most possible is that he will choose a nice follower with same practics. Democratic revolution in eastern Europe had a chance to come from inside. There were a democratic dissent, i.e.many remembered what was between the WWs or where more educated. But third world must have its chance given from outside. Most of them accepted or at least tried to accept it. Just one showman tells "NO!" and is leading his people to third war.

So you're saying we should put a dictator in power and just TRUST him to do the right thing and work towards democracy? ::)

As for those 3 countries, notice that they received democracy DIRECTLY, not with an intermediate dictatorial stage.

So you're saying we should put a dictator in power and just TRUST him to do the right thing and work towards democracy?

As for those 3 countries, notice that they received democracy DIRECTLY, not with an intermediate dictatorial stage.

Edric, the US will oversee the rebuilding of Iraq. Do you think they just leave a bunch of soldiers and tell them to rebuild Iraq? The whole world will know of the rebuilding. Do realize that Saddam can do WHATEVER he wants with his people without anyone knowing it. If the US installs a leader there, he will have to report to the States in any case.

A question: How can I help an opposition group? Once more I tell you this: Give me the damn adress an I'll send as much money and whatever they need. The opposition has been there since 1979 if not longer, and where is the progress? It is clearly visible from the surrounding world that by the time the opposition gain whatever they need, there won't be anyone left fighting with them.

Take a good look at the world. Many countries can't revolve. Like they said in Black Hawk Down, either we (US) help the countries, or we see them burn to dust on CNN. Do you want to act, or do you want to wait until one million has died?

It is this that pisses me off. That the UN can't do anything. The UN is just a big bunch of men and women, talking endlessly what should be done. Act! Act! Act! They know themselves that the third world are collapsing. How many more should die until they realize that they can't sit down and talk anymore. How long before there won't be any countries left of the third world? Think!

Do you think they just leave a bunch of soldiers and tell them to rebuild Iraq?

Yes.

It is this that pisses me off. That the UN can't do anything. The UN is just a big bunch of men and women, talking endlessly what should be done. Act! Act! Act! They know themselves that the third world are collapsing. How many more should die until they realize that they can't sit down and talk anymore. How long before there won't be any countries left of the third world? Think!

The point is not to act, the point is to ACT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I'd rather do nothing than act and make the situation worse.

Why do you think the 3rd world is collapsing in the first place? Because a few centuries ago, our ancestors decided to ACT and "civilize" the "savages" by stealing their lands, murdering their children and selling them as slaves. The whole mess that the 3rd world is in can be traced back to the days of colonialism and the great colonial empires.

1) As little as a few weeks. As much as a few months.

2) Saddam will be removed and, as done with Afghanistan, the UN (Note: The UN, NOT the USA) will oversee the creation of a democratic Iraqi government. The world will send all kinds of foreign aid and help the Iraqis build their new, democratically controlled economy. I don't care what the Bullcrap Broadcasting Corporation says without so much as a reference no less. This is what has happened and it is what will happen.

2) Saddam will be removed and, as done with Afghanistan, the UN (Note: The UN, NOT the USA) will oversee the creation of a democratic Iraqi government. The world will send all kinds of foreign aid and help the Iraqis build their new, democratically controlled economy. I don't care what the Bullcrap Broadcasting Corporation says without so much as a reference no less. This is what has happened and it is what will happen.

This, I think, is the U.S.'s ultimate goal. I sincerely hope that this is the case, regardless of what those like Edric say.

ACE, as far as the occupation goes, like Miles I sincerely hope you're right. But I've looked in a lot of places, but could no where find that the US intends the UN to oversee the rebuild. In most of the articles that I've looked, it states Rumsfeld also made it clear the US will need to occupy Iraq after the war. I'm happy to read an article that states otherwise though.

Note: I do not know, or have any view yet of what's going to happen and who's going to ccupy what. I just want to point out that I haven't read anything yet that backs up ACE's story.

Ace, there's nothing I would like more than for you to be right about this. I wish the US would do as you just said... but I don't see that happening.

If the US does let the UN take over and the people of Iraq are better off in the end, I will accept that I was wrong.

But if the US army occupies Iraq and puts it under a military dictatorship, will you accept that I was right? Or will you still support them?