Cant get online with Generals ? plz help me

Can some1 help me? I cant get online with Generals. :'( ???

If i press 'online' there comes 'checking for updates' ,2 minutes later it says : 'Unable to establish a connection with Command and Qonquer Generals servers.Please check your internet connection.'

:'(

Actually, graphics are great--except for the lego infantry. The game is definitely slower paced than Emperor, but it is fun. The tanks crawl like tanks rather than zip across the maps like buggies. The planes are really fast in comparison, as planes should be. The infantry are proportionally correct compared to the vehicles (unlike in Emperor, where there is no way an infantryman could fit into a sandbike, a buzzsaw or a dust scout--LOL), even if they are a bit funny looking. I have played two games online, and I won one last night. It wasn't laggy. The units are really cool, and the maps are great. I'm giving it more time before I say it's as good as Emperor, but it's at least better than RA2 so far. I think a couple of patches are going to make it a lot better.

Also, Gob, it is probably time to move all these Generals posts to the General forum, even mine that you have been so gracious to leave here in the Emp forum all this time. :)

The infantry are proportionally correct compared to the vehicles (unlike in Emperor, where there is no way an infantryman could fit into a sandbike, a buzzsaw or a dust scout--LOL), even if they are a bit funny looking.

U know its year 10 000+ in DUNE and the bikes/buzz/Dust are probably robots :) so need for infantry to get into them

Well, then those robots talk just like real guys when you move them. Anyhow, I just played another online Generals game. Very little lag. It was a quickmatch. I won. Two out of three now for the Taq man. LOL. I'm sure I will lose a lot more than I win, just give me time. The game was very, very cool. I was U.S. and the enemy was GLA. I've now played two games as China, one as U.S. I'm also on the fifth single-player mission.

Getting online was no problem after I took the advice from the guys on the Generals forum. Go there. Now. :)

The infantry are proportionally correct compared to the vehicles (unlike in Emperor, where there is no way an infantryman could fit into a sandbike, a buzzsaw or a dust scout--LOL), even if they are a bit funny looking.

U know its year 10 000+ in DUNE and the bikes/buzz/Dust are probably robots :) so need for infantry to get into them

well actually, there are no real computers in the dune universe, except for the Ixians. So they must all be controlled by simple humans

I just uploaded patch 1.02 manually. But where do i put it???

When i run the patch the message "could not find hklm.software/electronic arts/generals.installpath" appears.

I finally got the patch and now it even does not install. Not a great help at all ???

You really should be asking for help with this game in the tech support board here: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=4

or go to the generals official forum for help :

http://messagebrd.westwood.ea.com/cgi-bin/boards/gen/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6

Here is doc's own thread in the official forum:

http://messagebrd.westwood.ea.com/cgi-bin/boards/gen/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000171

Doc Nyar has been trying to help people there, but there are so many people posting all at the same time that it is hard to keep track of all of the problems people are having. As far as the 1.02 patch is concerned I have heard many people recommend that you do not download it yet. Apparently it is in beta form . This would explain the game not working for you rigel. You will now have to reinstall the game and use the 1.01 patch:

ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/eapacific/generals/generals/DownloadablePatches/

I was not able to connect to the link above. They may be having server problems at eapacific. I don't know. If I find a better link I will modify this post.

When i run the patch the message "could not find hklm.software/electronic arts/generals.installpath" appears.

I downloaded patch 1.01 now but with same results as above, with the result that the patch can not be uploaded.

When you download a patch manually where do we have to save it and what to do to make it work??

All you should have to do is save it somewhere on your harddrive like the C:TEMP or C:GamesPatchesGenerals ;) and then all you have to do is double click on the file you saved and it should install itself. All it will do usually is update the game executable and maybe some data files.

I finally could fix the problem and play generals online ;D

Go to "options" in generals and use the HTTP proxy of your internet provider to allow you to get online.

I am using "telenet" cable internet provider and in the box HTTP proxy i filled in the following: proxy.pandora.be:8080

This did the trick, i hit the online button , the program looked for updates and the patches were loaded automatically

Thanks brennq for sending me solution to get it fixed ;)

I finally could fix the problem and play generals online ;D

Go to "options" in generals and use the HTTP proxy of your internet provider to allow you to get online.

I am using "telenet" cable internet provider and in the box HTTP proxy i filled in the following: proxy.pandora.be:8080

This did the trick, i hit the online button , the program looked for updates and the patches were loaded automatically ;)

Thanks brennq for sending me solution to get it fixed ;)

Did this fix the problem for everyone in this thread ? If not, let me know.

well ok I got the proxy but it still wont work.

When I click multiplayer it says "checking for updates".

Im fully up to date so it then goes to the multiplayer box. I fill out my details (username etc) and click create account. It then stalls for a while and eventually comes up with a box saying words to the effect of "could not reach generals servers"

any help?