Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Guest Duke_Leeeto

"Well I am starting to loose my patience with Westwood tech support. They say that the K6-III processor is not supported and my multiplayer lock-up problem is because of the processor. I have sent an email to AMD to ask for their opinion on this matter."

Finally, you decide to listen to my voice! Listen, don't waste your time with ww tech support, honestly, I wonder if they are the any bit qualified for anything. . .

They blamed my motherboard, saying I needed updated drivers, yet there are no updated drivers for that motherboard. Beleive me, I looked everywhere for them! Then they refused to help me when I told them that, they haven't awnsered back to me in over a month!

Let me get this straight, a multiplayer/network bug is caused by your K6-III processor yet the rest of the game works fine??? LMAO, ww tech support!

Don't mean to break it to ya westwoodie, but WOL is a real *****! Sometimes when I play multiplayer it connects, sometimes it doesn't and I get the classical "handshake failed", and other times a match loads for an eternity!

I don't see how a K6-III processor would cause this, kinda reminds me of when they said Emperor wasn't working on me because I didn't have Windows Media player 7.1, which was also a laughable excuse. This seems to be lazzyness by the tech support more then anything. A K6-III processor is better then a PII in many ways, and heck, if my 64MB Prophet, state of the art, card perfectly supports a K6-III, then why the heck can't Dune???

I'm still have a lot of question marks about the operation of this game. This new card has stoped the freezing, but as I said, sometimes the game takes VERY long pauses, then resumes. . . My guess is with my old card those pauses would be freezes. I don't know what causes this, memory leaks, plain old lag, god knows what it is, but it freaks me to death (cuz I think it will freeze) when I am on a far off mission attacking the Harkonen capitol!

Guest YahooGuy

Hmmm.... Just out of curiosity, has anybody noticed if their campaign freezes when deploying either the MCV or placing a building? So far, that's where mine always seems to freeze.... but it's random as to which time it freezes.... Logic would dictate that the sound caused by the placement is a possible culprit, but even with the physical removal of my SBLive! card, it still randomly locks on building placement....

But I can still play the game--in all its brilliant glory--just fine. But it always irks me that it locks when I'm not in a "save-every-five-minutes" mood. ::sigh:: Oh well. I'll just keep on reseting and reloading until somebody suggests a way around it (and I am a firm believer in ww, and think that they coded this game just fine....).

Guest alley_cat

-X-ray is not dead, I'm sure.

I know him from forums in a gaming site from Israel, and I saw him a few times in the last day. He is fine.

Guest Dan-WS

"Ok, I think I have sufficient proof that the Emperor CDs are DEFECTIVE! Why you ask?

I just downloaded a program called Nero CD speed, which is supposed to test/read your CD and increase it's spinning speed, causing games to stop freezing as well as increase their performance. . .

Well guess what? I ran the test on the Emperor CD and it failed! It said, "Read error at 00:15:50 (code 031100)" At first I thought it's because it was junky software, it is freeware after all, then I tried it on my other CDs and the test worked! The CDs were able to run no problem and the speed was much better! My guess is the Emperor CDs are defective somehow and this could greatly effect some ppl's systems while not others, and this is a programming error if that is the case. I find it weird how a software problem can't even read the Emperor CD but can read many others, something tells me the CDs for Emperor are defective. . .

Is there anyway I can debug the CD to make sure?"

Nero makes CD copying software. The Emperor CDs use safedisk to prevent copying. I suspect that rather then being a defect, the safedisk software is functioning exactly as it was designed to.

Dan

Guest Dan-WS

"Any updates on the SB Live! problems Dan?"

I can tell you that we have one of the suspected cards (mine, actually!) in the test bay being put through it's paces.

So far, that's all the information I have.

Dan

MrShadow, read my previous posts about GeForce drivers. Looking at your output, I would say your case votes in favor of my theory...

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1241

In short, get the drivers from your card manufacuteres site (latest), or search www.download.com in the driver section.

Keep us updated ! :D

Nyar...

Guest keriku

Hello all,

I have a couple of things I'd like to say.

First about the not being able to read the cdrom with the "test"program. I believe the latest protections use a technique that put the lead in of a cd out of reach for the laser of a cdrom player or burner. Thats probably why you get the error...

Secondly, as a frequent Everquest player, I have experienced alot of problems with that game. A lot of these problems resemble the ones you guys have with dune, lockups, black screens etc. It usually does prove to be hardware/software related. There are so many possible things that can cause a problem its not even funny. Lots of solutions have come up here that also are in the everquest tech forums, but I would point out to the tech forum of everquest anyway because there seem to be more information that could help you. Expessially about AMD chipsets in combination with VIA. just browse a bit through the tech help forum and see if you can find some info there.

Oh and I love Dune, and was very positively surprised to see it runs very smoothly on my pIII 450 with geforce mx2 and 192 megs! I was a bit worried about the specs when I bought the game, but even skirmish with 4 AI players runs ok :)

Good luck on solving your problems

Keriku

Here is the official reply from AMD about the compatability of the K6-2 and K6-III processors with Pentium processors:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center.

Compatibility

AMD processors are compatible with virtually all x86 hardware and software. Be sure to contact the product vendor to obtain the latest drivers or patches. To assure maximum performance from any processor, high-quality contemporary hardware is always recommended.

Best Regards,

AMD Technical Service Center"

Does this mean that Emperor Battle for Dune does not fall under "Virtually all" x86 hardware? I guess I give up. Tech support has closed my issue saying there is nothing to be done. So I can't play the game online. That really is annoying. I will upgrade eventually, but not to play this game online.

Guest alley_cat

I noticed that usually my game froze when I was scrolling in one of the directions. So the frame that the screen got stuck on showed the mouse pointer as an arrow pointing in one of the directions.

Guest keriku

Hmmmm just thought of something, its pretty obvious but I havent seen it mentioned here before.

Could some of the lockups be caused by overheating of the videocard?

keriku

Guest fallom

I crash about 1 minute into the campaign game, I havent tried skirmish yet....

Video Card : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1241

Sound Card : Creative SB Live! Value

Sound Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Driver Version : 4.11.01.0711

DirectX : DirectX 8

Operating System Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : justinor

BIOS Info

Name : Award

Version : Award Medallion BIOS v6.0

PNP :

Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1

CPU Type : 869 MHz GenuineIntel

6 8 3

RAM : 255 MB Total

105 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 1792 MB Total

1706 MB Free

Operating System : Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

Default Browser : Internet Explorer

Version : 5.50.4522.1800

Temp Directory : C:WINDOWSTEMP

Size : 6 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 1152x864 16

Refresh Rate (Primary) : Optimal refresh rate

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Video Memory : 32 MB

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv

Version : 4.13.01.1241

Provider : NVIDIA

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | | | |

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : Creative SB Live! Value

Manufacturer : Creative

Main Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Version : 4.11.01.0711

Provider : Creative

Description : HID-compliant game controller

Manufacturer : (Standard game device)

Main Driver : vjoyd.vxd

Version : 4.08.00.0400

Provider : Microsoft

Description : HID Game Controller: 2 axis 10 button gamepad

Driver : joyhid.vxd

Version : 4.88.00.0400

Attached : Yes

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info

Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info

DirectPlay Info

Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 1238 KB

Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

Free Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter B

Volume Name :

File System :

Drive Letter C

Volume Name : MAXTORDRV

Type : Fixed

File System : FAT32

Total Space : 28.61 GB

Free Space : 23.79 GB

Drive Letter D

Volume Name : EMPEROR2

Type : CDRom

File System : CDFS

Total Space : 459.50 MB

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : Plug and Play Monitor

Manufacturer : (Standard monitor types)

Max. Resolution : 1600x1200

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Dial-Up Adapter

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

IP Address: Obtained from provider

IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Manufacturer : NETGEAR

Driver : FA311ND3.SYS

Provider : NETGEAR

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : HID-compliant mouse

Type :

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description :

Driver :

Provider :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :

Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0

----Task List-----------------------------------------------

msgsrv32.exe

mprexe.exe

mmtask.tsk

Explorer

taskmon.exe

Systray

razertra.exe

loadqm.exe

Audio Headquarters

newsupd.exe

ctnotify.exe

msmsgs.exe

icq.exe

aim.exe

razerofa.exe

mediadet.exe

wmiexe.exe

iexplore.exe

iexplore.exe

ddhelp.exe

ez.exe

----Autoexec.bat--------------------------------------------

*empty*

----Config.sys----------------------------------------------

*empty*

X_CASE_START

X_CASE_DESCRIPTION:

X_CONTACT_FIRST_NAME:

X_CONTACT_LAST_NAME:

X_GAME:

X_SERIAL_KEY:

X_OPERATING_SYSTEM: Windows 98 A , Version 4.10, Build 2222

X_PROCESSOR:

X_SPEED: 869 MHz

X_MMX: No

X_RAM: 255 MB

X_MANUFACTURER:

X_PRODUCT_ID:

X_VIDEO_CARD: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

X_DISPLAY_DRIVER: 4.13.01.1241

X_DISPLAY_DIRECTX: Not Certified, Hardware Support

X_DISPLAY_MEMORY: 5 MB

X_AUDIO_CERTIFIED: Not Certified

X_AUDIO_DRIVERS: emu10k1.vxd 4.11.01.0711

X_MODEM:

X_V_MANUFACTURER: NVIDIA

X_A_MANUFACTURER: Creative

X_CASE_END

Well it seems that now Westwood tech support will not answer legitimate questiona and I believe they are not telling the truth. This is the last response I got from them:

"The Athlon and Duron support the MMX and SSE CPU command sets. The K6-2 and K6-3 chips aren't supported for this game. This issue is closed."

This is a repsponse to my last email to them:

---- 08/01/2001 10:19 AM ----------------------------------------------

You did not answer my question. Does the game use processor specific

instructions(like SSE) or not? To date, I know of no commercial games that

are released using processor specific instructions. If the game used

processor specific instructions, then the game would not work on Athlon

processors. I believe I was told by you that the game is supported on

Athlon porcessors. Another thing, the K6-2 and K6-3 do support MMX

instructions as well as 3D now instructions. If the problem was truly my

processor I would experience the same problem on every online game I play.

I have not experienced this problem with Homeworld or Earth2150, both use

3D acceleration and I can play both of these games online. You have not

provided any real information as to why you think the problem is processor

specific, other than the fact that some of the people who have any kind of

lock-up problem also have this processor. That is not identifying a

problem, it's called guessing and I find that unacceptable coming from

technical professionals. It boggles my mind that Westwood would purposely

not support K6-2 and K6-III processors, considering how many people own

them.

>

I don't like the attitude at Westwood tech support. They don't seem to really try and help the customer that they are supposed to support. I asked a simple question and they say the K6-2 is not supported. Maybe they should have printed that on the requirements for the game. I am totally disgusted with the way they have handled this and I will not purchase another game from Westwood again.

Guest alley_cat

My discussion with WW tech support so far (now you'll see why I start to agree with Leto and number6):

Alley Cat: I sent you my quesitons a few times before and you hadn't answered yet, so I'm gonna try again.

I have 2 freezing problems:

* Most of the time when one of the movies in emperor appears, the game freezes after one second of the movies being played. It happens on all movies, even in the ones that are on the HD (ie. the house briefing movies).

* The game freezes during the campaign at random times after about 10-15 min. It seems to not happen on skirmish, as I played a skirmish game, after my computer working/operating for a long time, for about 30 mins without any lockup, exited emperor, did some more work, than reopened emperor and played a skirmish game for 45 min, still without a crash.

I have a link on the emperor message board which describes everything I tried to do to solve the problem. It is here: http://messagebrd.westwood.ea.com/boards/emp/english/Forum1/HTML/007109.html and a little later in moved to here:

http://messagebrd.westwood.ea.com/boards/emp/english/Forum1/HTML/007147.html

I would really appreaciate it if you will reply to me this time

Westwood: Title: Why does Emperor:Battle for Dune lock up or crash? Why do I receive Internal Errors?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Z1kwf2Pf&p_lva=&p_refno=010607-000295&p_created=991897927

Title: What are the Graphic Options for Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010604-002513&p_created=991711163

Title: Why does Emperor:Battle for Dune crash? Why do I receive Internal Errors?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010607-000295&p_created=991897927

Title: Are there any general single player skirmish tips for Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010605-000027&p_created=991713587

Title: Why does Emperor crash to desktop during install?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010614-002183&p_created=992553735

Title: Is there any Westwood Online multiplayer general information?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010604-002596&p_created=991712558

Alley Cat: I already tried doing most of these things. I uninstalled Emperor several times and did a lot more things that you may see if you go to the links I gave you. So those links to Q&A you gave me just don't help

Westwood: We have reviewed your issue. Due to the unique nature of your issue, we will need to research your problem further. We have a team continuing to examine your specific problem and expect to have an answer shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Alley Cat: I noticed that you sent me today again an e-mail with the exact same message (We have reviewed your issue. Due to the unique...). Why? Was something updated? So I just update my answer, in case you expect me to do so.

But also, I was able to fix my problem. But the solution is not an acceptable one, and not one that I can live with in the long term - when I downgraded my voodoo drivers to the 1.04 version, the freezings in the game stopped, and after trying to use the +w for the 20 time, it decided to work good for the first time.

But like I said, there is no way I'm going to accept me using an older driver to play this game. I also talked to the tech support on my country (telerom. In Israel) and they also agreed that a solution to my problem shouldn't be downgrading my drivers.

Westwood: From your EAsy.exe report:

"Primary display device

Description : Intel® 810e Chipset Graphics Driver PV1.1 (DC133)

Manufacturer : Intel Corporation

Video Memory : 1 MB

Main Driver : i81xdw9x.drv

Version : 4.11.01.1185

Provider : Intel Corporation

Secondary display device

Description : 3dfx Voodoo3

Manufacturer : 3dfx

Video Memory : 16 MB

Main Driver : 3dfx16v3.drv

Version : 4.12.01.0666

Provider : 3dfx"

This means that your computer is still using the Intel video with 1 Mb of RAM as it's display. Make sure the Voodoo card is the primary display adapter.

Alley Cat: Please, I gave you these two links for a good reason. They will show you that I ALREADY did make sure that the game uses the voodoo3, plus, do you think that the game will even run if the comp used the Intel card?

So I will ask you again to go to these links (mainly the first one), read what I already tried (many things) and it will save us both a lot of time...

Westwood: Go to start, then "run" and type "dxdiag" (without the quotes) then click "run". Go to each tab and run all tests. Attach the results to this issue.

Alley Cat: I posted here the whole thing from the dxdiag (after taking the test of course). You may notice that I took these tests using the 1.04 version of the voodoo drivers, but I can assure you that I past all the DirectDraw and Direct3d test successfully numerous times also with the 1.07 (4.12.01.0666), though without the AGP textures since I have a PCI card.

-Directx info here. I don't think there is a need posting it here-

Westwood: Your video driver is several versions out of date. Please use the link below and update them:

http://www.windrivers.com/company/3dfx/drivers/index.htm

If you have a Voodoo card, you may experience display problems due to texture compression. To disable the texture compression, you will need to add “ -c” (without the quotes) to the Target line in the game’s shortcut. If you've installed to the default location, the line should look like this:

C:WestwoodEmperorEMPEROR.EXE -c

Alley Cat: I really don't see why you choose to ignore what I say. Let me say this again:

The problems I was facing (game freezing + movies freezing) occured when I was using the latest version of the voodoo drivers - 1.07 (4.12.01.0666). The only way I was able to resolve these problems so far was to use the 1.04 drivers of the voodoo which you can see in my dxdiag report. But using an older driver of a hardware is not a solution and I expect to find a better solution using your help.

The -c command had no change when I used it or didn't use it. Besides, it's not the textures I have problem with since the game works perfectly fine up to the point where it freezes for no reason.

Again, I ask you to view the links I gave you, especially the first one, in order to see what I have already tried.

Westwood: Unfortunately, 3Dfx is no longer supporting their products, and at this point, it's sort of catch as catch can on which drivers work for which games, as there was never a driver release from 3Dfx to support DirectX 7 or later. If the old drivers work for you on your system, I recommend that you stick with them.

Alley Cat: WHAT??

Really, I don't know where you got that idea from.

All the drivers from 1.03 and up were created for Directx 7, and the 1.07 driver was created for Directx 8.

3dfx collapsed on November this year. Directx 8 was released by than.

I really don't want to sound what I think at the moment...

Nyar, if Westwood was kind enough they would at least spend their money on a decent tech support team.

Thats what the cat has to say.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

LMAO! Number6, that whole post made me burst out laughing! Beleive me, I know how frustrating ww tech support is, but I wonder who runs the ww tech support? A bunch of McDonald's employees maybe?

LMAO, ww tech support! Whenever there is a problem, they simply say, "we do not support your system." Kinda reminds me of the time they told me to install new graphics card drivers. I told them it made the game worse and won't use them, then they told me, "because you will not use these new drivers, we cannot help you. Our game is only supported with the latest drivers."

Then I eventually agreed to using the new drivers, even tho it made it worse, when I told them it then didn't work, they told me, "update the drivers for your motherboard, then we'll talk," but wait, there are no new drivers for my motherboard!

Number, try and figure out what computer hardware peice is causing the main problem and get a new one. I had a feeling that my Rage Fury Pro was the problem because many of my friends at school said they also had problems running games with that card, so I sold the Rage Fury Pro and bought a 64MB Prophet and even tho the game lags every now and then, cuz of my weak processor, at least it doesn't freeze, but WOL is still a *****! At least 1 in every 3 games I try doesn't connect!

Guest fallom

Update: The cd cache or the Soundblaster Live! acceleration changes seem to have fixed it...I will test further, seeing which one fixed it, but it's 2:30 A.M. right now...

-Fallom "An interesting phenomenon, what kind of testing did the game go through?"

Guest antonym

Not to add fuel to the fire ;) but...

In my case, the TTF (time to freeze) varies but happens without fail in the single player missions. When the game freezes, the in game music continues to queue and play merily along making believe this is not a "hard" freeze. Also I can generally press CTRL-ALT-DEL a couple of times and get the machine to reboot. The first press will mess up the sound, after a few seconds, telling me that I have interruped whatever program is running. The second press will generally reboot the machine. On one occasion I crashed back to the desktop. That has only happened once in about 20 freezes however.

I've tried so many things and spent so many hours trying to resolve the problem my head is spinning.

For what it's worth, my configuration is as follows:

Win98 A (4.10.2222)

Intel Celeron 333 (Running at 416Mhz)

ABit BH6 (motherboard)

256MB PC133 RAM

SBLive Value

3dfx Voodoo3 3000

A few of the things that I've tried so far:

Reinstalling the game (including reg wipe)

Upgrading with both "autoupgrade" and man

Lowering/disabling video settings in game

Various driver versions

- 3dfx (1.07.00, 1.07.00Beta, 1.05.00)

- SBLive (4.11.01.0711 Latest)

Disabling read CDROM read ahead cache

Removing all Win98 processes

While the above list is certainly not exhaustive, it does cover the majority of my efforts. The frustrating thing is that each change and retry can represent hours of time waiting to see if the game is going to freeze or not.

If anyone has found a solution or has any additional suggestions I'm sure there are many people who would appreciate your response. Thank you in advance!

P.S. Below you will find my EAsy_EA.txt file generaged from the "Emperor Battle for Dune_EZ.exe" on the install disk. My apologies for the size.

-------------------

Video Card : 3dfx Voodoo3

Video Driver : 3dfx16v3.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.0027

Sound Card : Creative SB Live! Value

Sound Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Driver Version : 4.11.01.0711

DirectX : DirectX 8

Operating System Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : antonym

BIOS Info

Name : Award

Version : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

PNP : Plug and Play BIOS

Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1

CPU Type : 416 MHz GenuineIntel Celeron

6 6 0

RAM : 255 MB Total

137 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 1792 MB Total

1714 MB Free

Operating System : Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

Default Browser : Internet Explorer

Version : 5.0.2614.3500

Temp Directory : C:WINDOWSTEMP

Size : 13 MB

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 1024x768 16

Refresh Rate (Primary) : Optimal refresh rate

Primary display device

Description : 3dfx Voodoo3

Manufacturer : 3dfx Interactive, Inc.

Video Memory : 16 MB

Main Driver : 3dfx16v3.drv

Version : 4.13.01.0027

Provider : 3dfx Interactive, Inc.

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | | | |

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : Creative SB Live! Value

Manufacturer : Creative

Main Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Version : 4.11.01.0711

Provider :

Description : Microsoft SideWinder game pad

Driver : MSGAME.VXD

Version : 3.00.00.0000

Attached : Yes

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info

DirectSound Info

DirectPlay Info

Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 214 KB

Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A

Volume Name :

File System :

Drive Letter C

Volume Name : NIKNAK

Total Space : 19.52 GB

Free Space : 2.10 GB

Drive Letter D

Volume Name : FUBAR

Total Space : 2.64 GB

Free Space : 594.29 MB

Drive Letter E

Volume Name : EMPEROR1

File System : CDFS

Total Space : 639.69 MB

Drive Letter F

Volume Name :

File System :

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : Iiyama MT-9017E/T, VisionMasterPro

Manufacturer : Iiyama

Max. Resolution : 1280,1024

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Dial-Up Adapter

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

Description : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC

Manufacturer : Realtek

Driver : rtl8029.sys

Bound Protocols

IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol

Frame type:Auto

IPX Address:0

TCP/IP

IP Address: : 10.1.1.22

IP Mask: : 255.255.255.0

Gateway: : 10.1.1.11

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Type : PS2

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description : Courier V.Everything EXT

Driver : Courier V.Everything External Plug & Play

Provider :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :

Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0

----Task List-----------------------------------------------

msgsrv32.exe

mprexe.exe

mmtask.tsk

Explorer

taskmon.exe

Systray

point32.exe

wmiexe.exe

rnaapp.exe

tapisrv.exe

ddhelp.exe

iexplore.exe

msmsgs.exe

emperor battle for dune_ez.exe

----Autoexec.bat--------------------------------------------

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

SET CTSYN=C:WINDOWS

C:PROGRA~1CREATIVESBLIVEDOSDRVSBEINIT.COM

set VIM=C:UTILVIM

----Config.sys----------------------------------------------

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE

X_CASE_START

X_CASE_DESCRIPTION: Question Reference #010801-000442

---- 08/01/2001 01:35 AM ---------------------------------------------

Dear Technical Support:

Every since aquiring the game I have experienced random freezing when playing single player missions. The machine will freeze solid. Sometimes I can CTRL-ALT-DEL several times and get it to reboot. Other times I have to reset. On one occasion it crashed back to the desktop. Even though the game is frozen, it would appear that it is still able to properly queue up the audio from the CD. In other words, the sound does not freeze. I have only tried the Atreides so far. I have been unable to determine any pattern to the freezes.

I have spent several hours following the message board threads but have not been able to determine anything definite. I have tried some of the options listed in the threads (turning down details, disabling video options, removing everything from adtray and memory that was not necessary, most recent drivers for video and sound hardware etc.)

I have the latest SBLive drivers currently loaded. As for the Voodoo3 drivers, I have tried 1.07.00, and 1.07.00beta as suggested by administrator Chris in the message boards. I have downloaded 1.05.00 and will try them as well.

I have verified that DMA is disabled with my CD-ROM, and will be experimenting with the minimum read ahead cache in hopes to minimize the frequent spin-up/spin-down pausing caused by accessing the music on the CD-ROM drive.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Mont Erickson

---- 08/01/2001 10:48 PM ----------------------------------------------

I apologize for not being specific enough in my first post. I have tried all of the suggestions in the links that were included in your reply (re-install, clean registry, upgrade through auto update etc). I would have not sent a question to support otherwise.

I will also be submitting the problems with the "Emperor Battle for Dune_EZ.exe" and will make reference to the "Question Reference" number in that submission.

The second attachment with this message is the output from the "Emperor Battle for Dune_EZ.exe" located on the install disk of the game. The first attachment, again, is the output from the plain vanilla "ez.exe" that is downloaded from your support site. I hope this provides the information that you need to give a solution.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Answer

Title: Why does Emperor crash to desktop during install?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010614-002183&p_created=992553735

Title: How does a disconnect work when playing Emperor:Battle for Dune?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010416-000906&p_created=987460527

Title: Are there any Command Interface general tips for Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010605-000114&p_created=991715110

Title: Why does Emperor:Battle for Dune crash? Why do I receive Internal Errors?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010607-000295&p_created=991897927

Title: What does "Cannot Create 3D Device" mean? How do I fix it?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010612-001561&p_created=992382264

At 08/01/2001 02:31 AM we wrote -

Title: Why does Emperor:Battle for Dune lock up or crash? Why do I receive Internal Errors?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Z1kwf2Pf&p_lva=&p_refno=010607-000295&p_created=991897927

At 08/01/2001 02:34 AM we wrote Why does Emperor:Battle for Dune crash? Why do I receive Internal Errors?

Link: http://westwood.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/westwood.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010607-000295&p_created=991897927-

File Attachments

• EAsy_EA.txt

• EAsy_EA.txt

X_CONTACT_FIRST_NAME:

X_CONTACT_LAST_NAME:

X_GAME: Emperor: Battle for Dune

X_SERIAL_KEY: ---

X_OPERATING_SYSTEM: Windows 98 A , Version 4.10, Build 2222

X_PROCESSOR: Celeron

X_SPEED: 416 MHz

X_MMX: Yes

X_RAM: 255 MB

X_MANUFACTURER:

X_PRODUCT_ID:

X_VIDEO_CARD: 3dfx Voodoo3

X_DISPLAY_DRIVER: 4.13.01.0027

X_DISPLAY_DIRECTX: Not Certified, Hardware Support

X_DISPLAY_MEMORY: 5 MB

X_AUDIO_CERTIFIED: Not Certified

X_AUDIO_DRIVERS: emu10k1.vxd 4.11.01.0711

X_MODEM: Courier V.Everything EXT

X_V_MANUFACTURER: 3dfx Interactive, Inc.

X_A_MANUFACTURER: Creative

X_CASE_END

You know what makes me really mad about the whole situation? They dragged me through several hoops and hurdles with drivers and calls to my ISP and then when none of that worked they say it's my processor. If it was truly the case that K6-2 and K6-III processors were not supported they should have said that from the begining and explained why that was the case. I would have accepted a reasonable answer up front, but not after all the emails and steps they made me endure. Either they didn't really look at my easy report (which I sent to them several times) or they purposely made me waste my time, just to make me angry. So Westwood tech support are either:

1) Incompetent

2) Vengeful and sadistic

I don't think I am out of line with my assessment, and I really think it is number 2 that applies. They basically lead me on a wild goose chase for some sort of kick and I think that is really immature and unprofessional. I am placing a call to customer service soon.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Yeah Alley, that reminds me so much of my experiences with ww tech support, they simply choose not to listen to you. I don't know how many times they keep on telling me to send them an Easy_EA report, I send one almost routinely every 2nd day, yet they still ask for an easy EA report.

And the classic line, "due to your unique problem, we are working on it, please be patient" is a classic business delay tactic, they are hoping you will be satisfied with that awnser and they use empathy for your situation. They eventually hope you will forget abou the whole thing. . . The truth is, they don't have an awnser, I doubt they are working on it and they are too lazzy to try and find a solution for your unique problem.

All this, without mentioning, that they make up facts about K6-II processors and voodoo cards, hoping that you know little about computers, and because they are tech ppl, make you think their "awnser" is right. Don't mean to break it to ya ww, I am studying computers right now in college. While I'm just a rookie, it doesn't take an expert to figure out Windows Media player 7.1 has nothing to do with a game working properly, that K6-II processors are quite acceptable, in fact, better then most processors for gaming, and that voodoo is a great card, which is widely used and has been widely used by many ppl, for many years, with many different computer systems, old and new.

WW tech support, you disgust me! I hope someday your boss pretends to be one of these many customers, and once he sees how poor your service is, he fires the whole team on the spot! That is, unless, Mr.Westwood doesn't care anyway, which is probably the case. . .

Guest -X-ray

OK, after many many tests, i've reached a conclusion- SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER!

On april everything worked just fine!

i've played a few RA2 games on May and there were a few problems. Then, E:b4d gave me hard life, and i've tested Starcraft which worked perfectly last year and it didn't work too! I put my sister's video card in my computer (After E:b4d worked on her computer) and the game still freezes!!

maybe i'll install windows ME.

Guest alley_cat

They close my issue. THEY CLOSED MY ISSUE AND WITHOUT ANY REASON (actually, the reason appearently was that there is no voodoo driver that supports DX7)

Nyar, could you please talk to them or something cause it seems you are the only one they are listening too. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH PATHETIC TECH SUPPORT IN ALL MY LIFE! And if one of the administrators who told me all the time to talk to tech support happens to cross by, than I'll tell you this: Westwood tech support sucks. There is nothing you can say about it. If they say there is no voodoo driver that supports Directx7 and than close my issue with me still having problem, they deserve all humiliation I can give on them. On you know thats true. I am so mad at this point. I reallt feel like killing someone.