Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Guest hankhank

I believe my problem is the Geforce 2 pro. I get lockups all the time;however, very randomly.

When using my laptop, inpiron 5000e with ati rage 128 mobility, I've never had a lockup. Similarly, with an intel i740, i don't get any lockups.

My desktop system:

633 celeron o/c to 950mhz

256 cas2 ram

abit be6 motherboard

13.6gib ibm 7200 rpm harddrive

leadtek geforce 2 pro with 5ns 32meg DDR

using nvidia 12.41 official drivers

win2k with sp2

My laptop:

dell inspiron 5000e

700 PIII

win2k with sp2

5gb harddrive

ati rage 128 mobility M3 16meg

using latest ati mobility drivers

Duke_Leeeto,

Why do you keep insisting that the code is poorly written, when most people do not have the freezing problem? The world does not revolve around you. You are one person, who gets upset too easily in my opinion. Every time someone suggests something to you, you come back saying this system is your fathers and you can't do this or that. Sounds to me like you need to get your own computer. If you are unwilling to do what it takes to try everything that tech support and people here suggest, then you have no right to complain. The video card you have, I am sorry to say it, is a piece of crap and is known to have all kinds of problems. It's not enough to say that all the games on your system runs fine. Does that mean you have all the games ever made for the PC? I don't think so. If none of the drivers from ATI fix the problem, it may not be your video card causing the problem, but it does not eliminate the video card as the problem either. You need to update your BIOS on your motherboard and it's not Westwood's responsibility to tell you where to get that. I feel sorry for the tech support people that have to deal with you, because you are so close minded and quick to make judgements. The game isn't perfect, none are, the point is that all PC games have problems like this. Most people don't ever notice these problems because the majority of people use their PC's to surf the net and do more productive things which don't require 3D acceleration. Your system sounds like it's in need of a tune up, but you are unable and unwilling to do what is required.

You are so quick to attack that which you have no real understanding, that's what really burns me up. Sell or give the game to someone else and stop complaining. The game is fine, your system is not.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Number6, how can you say that when I have tried EVERY single driver available and NONE of them worked? Trust me, I have donated more then enough of my time doing this. I can't access my BIOS, so what? Most ppl wouldn't even dare touch that for a game! And if I had enough money to get a new comp, I would, but because I am a poor student and young ppl are treated like so much **** in the job market nowadays, I'm not left with much options. . .

I can't afford anymore then 1200 dollars for a comp. If you can name me a comp at that price, that would work well with Emperor and many other games, that has a good graphics and sound card, then go ahead. . . Right now I can't afford a latest update for a comp as it is simply out of my budget being a poor student with student loans and all. . .

Duke_Leeeto,

Guess what, I don't have a state of the art system either. You can easily pick up a decent system for $1000 if you look around online. Here is a company in Ohio that I have dealt with in the past that have very good deals and allow you to configure everything :

www.micropro.com

That's where I got the system I have now.

Here's an example of what you can get:

Pre-configured AMD Thunderbird/Duron Computer System

ATX Mid Tower Case with 250 Watt Power Supply

Elite K7VZA Motherboard with sound

1 4X AGP - 5 PCI Slots - Ultra33/66/100

Heavy Duty Heat Sink and Fan Assembly

1.44 MB Floppy Drive

104 Keyboard, Mouse

Millennium Gold Service Plan on any system we assemble!

Processor Thunderbird 1 GHz CPU

Memory 256MB PC133 133MHz DIMM

Hard Drive 5400 RPM 30 GB Ultra/100

CD ROM 56X CD-ROM drive EIDE (ATAPI)

Video Card GeForce3 64MB AGP with TV Out

Upgrade Sound Sound Blaster Live! Value (OEM)

Modem 56K V.90 Voice

Monitor KDS VS-7i - 17 Inch - 0.27mm 1280x1024 NI

Operating System Windows Millennium installed and on CD

You can pick up speakers cheap at a store, all of the above for : $1085.00 With shipping and handling that would bring you to $1200. Not bad in my opinion. This system would be more than adequete for E:B4D. Go to that website and look for yourself.

Your right most people will not upgrade their BIOS, but the majority of PC users don't play these games. Most people buy consoles to play games.

[This message has been edited by number6 (edited 07-30-2001).]

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Only one problem, I live in Canada so 1200 bucks American is like 1800 Canadian. That has been the main problem for me, my income is in Canadian dollars and seeing that most computers are made in the US and imported to Canada, they are quite expensive here. The best deal I found in my area was a PIII 750MHZ, with Geforce2, amplified sound, 5 slot motherboard, 2 speakers, 56K modem, and NO monitor and that was around 1000 bucks. Add on the monitor (which is the most expensive thing for a comp it seems) and the terrible tax rate we have of 15% in my area and it costs around 1500 bucks. So out here, in the cheapest store around, it costs about 1500 bucks for a lousy PIII 750MHZ.

Let me stress one thing: EBFD works great on a GeForce 3, no matter what someone tells me. As said before, I have an GeForce 3 and I have no problems with EBDF.

2nd, no matter what someone says, I refuse to blame all the probs on poor programming. I will adit that support could be better, but for me as well for many others, the game worked right out of the box. Sure, there will always be users with problems, Duke, even games that worked straight away for you, might caused other users problems => that's life.

This thread has been started to help users with Lockup issues, and I would say we've done a great job so far (Alley_cat's and Jemromeku's working now). If anyone feels, that he/she's been treated the wrong way by WW (or me for that matter), please create a new thread and post it there. The intention is to use this thread for suggestions only.

(btw, thanks for everyone's involvement !)

And Duke, we'll solve your problem, but you have to be a bit positive about it :)

Thanks !

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-30-2001).]

hankhank, are you using Nvidia drivers, instead of the Leadtek ones ? If so, go to the Leadtek site and download their latest driver (I think it should be 12.60).

Why => I've noticed that every GeForce user with problems, is using Nvidia drivers, instead of the drivers from their manufacturer. I'm using a GeForce and I'm useing Asus drivers (cause my cards from Asus). Besides that, all users with problems (as seen so far) are using driver version 12.41...

Nyar...

duke_leeeto,

You could get a cheaper video card like a geforce 2 (that would knock off over $200) and that would bring it closer to your price range. I think you just like complaining. Be greatful that you have $1200 Canadian for an upgrade. That's more than I can afford. I usually buy my system in pieces here and there.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Ok, I think I have sufficient proof that the Emperor CDs are DEFECTIVE! Why you ask?

I just downloaded a program called Nero CD speed, which is supposed to test/read your CD and increase it's spinning speed, causing games to stop freezing as well as increase their performance. . .

Well guess what? I ran the test on the Emperor CD and it failed! It said, "Read error at 00:15:50 (code 031100)" At first I thought it's because it was junky software, it is freeware after all, then I tried it on my other CDs and the test worked! The CDs were able to run no problem and the speed was much better! My guess is the Emperor CDs are defective somehow and this could greatly effect some ppl's systems while not others, and this is a programming error if that is the case. I find it weird how a software problem can't even read the Emperor CD but can read many others, something tells me the CDs for Emperor are defective. . .

Is there anyway I can debug the CD to make sure?

Guest Odysseus

so, Dev is convicted of murder. The Olsen Twin gholas are dead. The ....

oops, wrong thread ;)

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Well I just tested the theory, "it might be my soundcard", but that isn't obviously the case. I disabled the sound card and yet still, the game froze on me. Seems like memory leaks to me, as the game runs fine with good speed and all, then suddenly, it locks up. I know a memory leak when I see one, and that's what it seems to be. . . And don't start saying I am a minority, that is what ww claims, which is totally false. MANY ppl are having these lockup problems, just that ww is in pure denial! The reason why it doesn't seem like many are having this problem is because they gave up and returned the game already! And please don't tell me to be patient with WW, I gave them 2 whole god **** mother****ing months to come up with a solution to my problem, yet they have done absolute wank. . . BTW Number, why should I get a new comp when mine is already better then many in which the game works? Doesn't seem really fair to me, as I bought a game in which my system easily meets the minimum requirements and does not work. . .

duke_leeeto,

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda, Star Wars.

The more you try to prove you know what you are talking about, the more you make yourself look a fool. I am not going to respond to any more of your pointless posts. It seems to me that you like playing this endless game of finger pointing.

Guest hankhank

Nyarlathotep,

I've tried nearly every single driver that my video card will take. nvidia beta's: 12.60, 12.90, 14.20... and all the official drivers before 12.41 (to some extent). I tried leadtek's driver which is just nvdia 6.66. I also asked Leadtek to update their drivers. The never crashes on my laptop... but it's soooo slooooow. What's that driver output thing?

Guest jrauls

Duke_Leeto-

You said:

"Based on my experiences, Emperor seems to be very picky on system configurations. Just today I checked Dune2K.com and 1 out of every 10 messages on the "suggestions to improve Emperor" section, someone mentions a freezing problem. . . Even the webmaster who runs the site is having a freezing problem and hasn't given up on the game in 3 plus months!"

I'm at that message board all the time and I've never seen any of the stuff you made reference to. I just check the board in fact, and not only is there no "suggestions to improve emperor" topic, but the webmaster has several posts concerning playing the game and of the about 6 "technical difficulties" statements on their message board only one a a problem that even resembled yours. In fact, that's what I like so much about that board: it lacks a certain "computer illiterate" segment of society. And even on this board, there are hardly any more complaints on this board than there were on the Red Alert 2 board when that game first came out. In fact, there's currently an entire topic completely slamming Red Alert 2 and its movies in the Yuri's Revenge group.

What I'm getting at is that Emperor is fine, those bashing WW are wasting everyone's time.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Well, I think my freezing problem is fixed, but as a hefty price. Today I bought a new motherboard and video card (Prophet 3D 64MB) and installed them on the computer myself and my computer, aswell as the game, worked fine. My processor is still weak, and that might be of concern, I'll have to test this further. . . This cost me about 250 dollars.

Now, for those telling me I can't install drivers and that is the problem, then explain how I can install and entire new motherboard and video card no problem on my computer system? Trust me, I did everything I could with my current hardware to make it work, ww wouldn't admit there was no solution so they kept on giving me the SAME suggestions OVER and OVER I already thought of and did.

So now my freezing problem is over, I think, but I still have my doubts about this CD that runs Emperor. On my 3D 64MB Prophet, it runs fine, but sometimes it becomes very jerky in a game for about a min then returns to normal. Could be memory leaks, or just lag, or god knows what it is, but many programs I got that are meant to scan CDs seem to not be able to read the Emperor CD. Maybe this is top notch security, I dunno. . . Could a ww tech person tell me how to disable (somehow) the security features, so I can trully test if there is a bug?

Guest alley_cat

"Number6, if that was the case when it comes to CD speed, then why does it work on other CDs? I'm sure Dune2000 and both Homeworld games also have copyright protection"

You know, technologies do change over time (especially in the computers industry), And you can be quite certain that the CD protection that was built up on Homeworld by Sierra is really diffrent than the one on Emperor. I'm pretty sure Westwood used a new CD protection system here that the program can't read. I thought also that you had a CD problem, but if you say you bought another copy of the game than the problm is somewhere else.

hankhank, what I meant was the extraction from the EAsy_EA.txt reoprt, under primary display:

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv

Version : 4.13.01.1260

Provider : ASUS

As you can see, mine says "Provider: Asus".

Also in the beginning of the report, mine says:

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : ASUS V8200 Series v12.60

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1260

It reports the cardsmanufacturers name, in stead of "Nvidia GeForce". I do not know if it means anything, but so far, all GeForece users with problems, are having a Nvidia driver, in stead of their card manufacturers driver (just go through the several reports posted here).

That's what I'm trying to find out, if there's a difference between the Nvidia and card manufacturers drivers. Hence the post where I asked for GeForce users who are running the game fine, to post their driver details here. The only comparison I have now, is my own system and number6's system (which basicly helped Alley_cat to solve his problem).

Nyar...

Well I am starting to loose my patience with Westwood tech support. They say that the K6-III processor is not supported and my multiplayer lock-up problem is because of the processor. I have sent an email to AMD to ask for their opinion on this matter.

Guest MrShadow

Ive been having the freezing problem also. Im pretty sure I have all the latest drivers. I upgraded my motherboard bios and got the VIA 4in1 drivers and reformated. I also tried removing my SBlive card to see if something was conflicting with it. Ive tried running with no shadows, and turning off that graphics option in directx (forget what it was called).

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1241

Sound Card : VIA PCI Audio Controller (WDM)

Sound Driver : viaudio.SYS

Driver Version :

DirectX : DirectX 8

Operating System Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : A2J1G0

BIOS Info

Name : Award

Version : Ver 1.64

PNP :

Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1

CPU Type : 799 MHz GenuineIntel

6 8 3

RAM : 127 MB Total

55 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 1920 MB Total

1920 MB Free

Operating System : Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

Default Browser : Internet Explorer

Version : 5.0.2614.3500

Temp Directory : C:WINDOWSTEMP

Size : 838 KB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 1024x768 16

Refresh Rate (Primary) : Optimal refresh rate

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Video Memory : 32 MB

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv

Version : 4.13.01.1241

Provider : NVIDIA

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | * | * | | *

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : VIA PCI Audio Controller (WDM)

Manufacturer : VIA Technologies, Inc.

Main Driver : viaudio.SYS

Version :

Provider : VIA Technologies, Inc.

Description : Creative SB Live!

Manufacturer : Creative

Main Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Version : 4.11.01.0711

Provider : Creative

Description : Wave Device for Voice Modem

Manufacturer : Conexant Systems

Main Driver : serwave.vxd

Version : 4.10.00.2222

Provider : Conexant

Description : Microsoft Kernel System Renderer

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Main Driver :

Version :

Provider : Microsoft

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info

Version : 4.08.01.0579

Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info

Version : 4.08.00.0400

Certified : Not certified

DirectPlay Info

Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

Version : 4.08.01.0579

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 1238 KB

Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

Free Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter C

Volume Name :

Type : Fixed

File System : FAT32

Total Space : 19.07 GB

Free Space : 15.02 GB

Drive Letter D

Volume Name :

Type : CDRom

File System :

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

Drive Letter E

Volume Name :

Type : CDRom

File System :

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : ViewSonic A90-2

Manufacturer : ViewSonic Corporation

Max. Resolution : 1600x1200

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Dial-Up Adapter

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Provider : Microsoft

Bound Protocols

PGPnet Virtual Private Networking Protocol driver.

Description : PGPnet Virtual Private Networking driver

Manufacturer : Network Associates Inc.

Driver : PGPnet.vxd

Provider :

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

IP Address: Obtained from provider

IP Mask: Obtained from provider

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Type : PS2

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description : Conexant HCF V90-56 PCI Modem

Driver : Conexant HCF V90-56 PCI Modem

Provider : 3-25-1999

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :

Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0

----Task List-----------------------------------------------

msgsrv32.exe

mprexe.exe

mmtask.tsk

Explorer

Systray

point32.exe

wmiexe.exe

rnaapp.exe

tapisrv.exe

pstores.exe

ddhelp.exe

iexplore.exe

darkspacefull.exe

ez.exe

----Autoexec.bat--------------------------------------------

C:PROGRA~1NETWOR~1MCAFEE~1SCAN.EXE C:

@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

SET CTSYN=C:WINDOWS

C:PROGRA~1CREATIVESBLIVEDOSDRVSBEINIT.COM

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:PROGRA~1MCAFEEPGP

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:PROGRA~1MCAFEEMCAFEE~1

----Config.sys----------------------------------------------

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE

X_CASE_START

X_CASE_DESCRIPTION:

X_CONTACT_FIRST_NAME:

X_CONTACT_LAST_NAME:

X_GAME:

X_SERIAL_KEY:

X_OPERATING_SYSTEM: Windows 98 A , Version 4.10, Build 2222

X_PROCESSOR:

X_SPEED: 799 MHz

X_MMX: No

X_RAM: 127 MB

X_MANUFACTURER:

X_PRODUCT_ID:

X_VIDEO_CARD: NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

X_DISPLAY_DRIVER: 4.13.01.1241

X_DISPLAY_DIRECTX: Not Certified, Hardware Support

X_DISPLAY_MEMORY: 7 MB

X_AUDIO_CERTIFIED: Not Certified

X_AUDIO_DRIVERS: viaudio.SYS

X_MODEM: Conexant HCF V90-56 PCI Modem

X_V_MANUFACTURER: NVIDIA

X_A_MANUFACTURER: VIA Technologies, Inc.

X_CASE_END