Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Guest hankhank

I do have to say one thing bad about this newsgroup though. The admins are sure deleting a whole bunch of messages that they don't like. There's still a few out there ... but I've seen messages come and go. I posted one today,... saying how I liked the game and was selling it on ebay... guess what.. it disappeared. It'll probably reappear mysteriously after this message though... or ... this one will disappear!

Guest Duke_Leeeto

download it at: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ alley cat. I suggest number6, at least gives it a fair shot before he goes criticizing again. . . Just simply unzip the file, run CD speed, then click on the start box once you insert a CD. It should then run the CD no problem, however, if there is a bug, it will detect it, like it did with the Dune Emperor CDs, but not my Dune2000 CD or other CDs, it worked fine with them. . .

Guest hankhank

I wasn't able to test it yet. I'm still at work! I'll definetly test it out when I get home. One problem, Leadtek has very old drivers on their website. I'm talking... nvidia detonator 6.xxx ? I'm not sure I should use those? Where did you see the 12.60 specially for leadtek?

Thanks.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

I wonder, is there any way I can scandisk my CD-ROM drive? I went to scandisk and I can scan my C hard drive, my D hard drive and my floppy A drive, but I can't seem to scan my E drive, as it is not listed there. If I went to DOS and typed down: CHKDSK E:, would it check anything? I know checkdisk is not as good as scandisk, but at least it may be something. . .

A few more questions, because my knowledge of computer hardware is basic. I was wondering if a CD works much like a hardrive. If there are lost clusters, per say, in the CD, that would that cause read errors? Or does a CD even have clusters and stuff like that? Please help, I need some education on this!

Hankhank, this should be the site for you (if you're located in the US that is):

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/old/engeforce_2_proDL.htm

To updae you about the drivers..

I'm starting to wonder if diver version 12.xx isn't just meant for GeForce 3, but not sure. Main thing I want to try, is to have everyone use drivers for his/her GeForce from the card manufacturer, in stead of using Nvidia's driver.

Nyar...

Guest alley_cat

I tried testing both the Atreides and Ordos CDs. It gave me an error on both.

"Read error at 00:00:00"

both CDs run fine for me. Maybe it can't read safedisk or something.

alley_cat,

The Nero CD speed software probably won't run correctly with the game disks because the disks have copy protection built into them. I am guessing this speed software is trying to do something that the protection software is detecting.

Did any GeForce user try to download the latest driver for their card from the manufacturer site ?

I know hankhank is going to try when he get's home, but what about the others ?

Also, if there's a user who's running the game fine on a GeForce (besides me), could he/she post the driver details (first part of the EAsy_EA.txt file) ?

Nyar...

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Nyar, I tried that already. This is actually my second copy of Emperor, the first one had the same problem. I did buy both copies from the same store however. Basicly, whatever you say, I have tried, beleive me, I have tried everything, except upgrading my motherboard (because there are no upgrades for it) and changing my BIOS (which is a very risky business for the sake of a game).

The only option left, is new hardware. I'm debating whether I should bother buying a new comp, because in another year, I bet you that comp will already be too old for ww's next game. . .

Number6, if that was the case when it comes to CD speed, then why does it work on other CDs? I'm sure Dune2000 and both Homeworld games also have copyright protection.

I am just saying the CD could have a bad cluster or something, which isn't always fatal for some ppl, but it is for others. . .

Based on my experiences, Emperor seems to be very picky on system configurations. Just today I checked Dune2K.com and 1 out of every 10 messages on the "suggestions to improve Emperor" section, someone mentions a freezing problem. . . Even the webmaster who runs the site is having a freezing problem and hasn't given up on the game in 3 plus months!

Also, I've never seen a game with no many complaints, just simply scroll back several pages on this mb and see if you can find one page without some tech problem issue. . . And I doubt ww's claims that there are only 2 cases left unsolved, as mine has been unsolved for over 2 months, yet ww is still not willing to admit they don't have a solution. . .

*huge sigh*...Duke... enough about the question if it's game related/WW related or whatever. This thread is for troubleshooting.

I have said before, till a certain point I agree with you. Fact is, new games will require for us to have better, newer systems => it's a fact and nothing you can do about it.

"Based on my experiences, Emperor seems to be very picky on system configurations." => Based on my it ain't (tried it on 4 different comps and worked on all 4) => So where does that fit in ? You (almost) have never taken in considiration that for loads of people the game works.

I have said enough and do not wish to discuss things further, besides troubleshooting. I kindly ask...better yet, I beg you, if it's not troubleshooting, to open a new thread and post your grieves there.

Thank you.

Nyar...

Guest unsummon02

But shouldn't a game be DESIGNED to operate on the majority of machines owned by gamers?

If you market the game only to high end or high spec games, then you lose market share.

Therefore, since Westwood wouldn't want to lose market share, then the game was most likely designed to work on common pcs. Yes! pcs with voodoo, geforce, soundblaster, because that is what the market IS. Since the game is failing for a percentage of gamers, there is a design flaw. If the game only fails in 5% of games out of 1,000,000 units old, how much money is Westwood losing?

I would think they would address this issue and recapture those lost sales.

I think Westwood is at fault, and if not, should discuss this via a letter on the main Westwood page.

Duke, it's not imposible to get in the BIOS, and neither resolving the problem you have. It appears to get in the BIOS, you'll need a password. The default setting for the BIOS is NOT to have it password protected, so a user must have set it to be password protected. You might want to check with family memebers who might have set it to password protected.

What you could try, is to use the drivers that came with Windows 98.

In Windows, click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Display. Click the Settings tab. Click the Change Display Type button. Click the Change button to change the Adapter Type. Select Show All Devices. For Manufacturer, click Standard Display Types.

From the list of models, select VGA. Click OK twice, and click Yes to restart Windows.

After the computer restarts, click the Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel. Double-click the Display icon. Click the Settings tab.

Click Change Display Type. Click Change to change the Adapter Type.

Select Show All Devices. For Manufacturer, select your card type.

From the list of models, select your card type. Click OK twice, then click Yes to restart Windows.

Nyar...

Guest hankhank

the leadtek drivers are 6.66! I've tried these because they are the default ones that come with my video card. They don't work well. Any more suggestions?

nyar,

I am sorry if I have stirred up an ant's nest in your thread. I am going to keep my mouth shut. Some people on this board jump from one conclusion to another with no sense of direction trying to explain things they don't have a clue about. I will only post responses to tech requests in this thread from now on.

Guest Roma Atani

Duke Leeto... do you read what you post here? You're willing to spend $1200 canadian on a new machine, but you won't even try to install the recommended motherboard drivers (which takes 10 minutes).

Can anyone who has done the 4-in-1 driver update from VIA, please tell the Duke how simple it 'really' is. I'm tired of his ****ing and moaning..

**ROMA**

hankhank, "work not well" => you do not see a difference with the game or what did you mean and could you post the driver output from the e-report (if you've updated the driver that is) ?

Thanks

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-30-2001).]

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Nyar, I tried changing the adapter to different things numerous times, didn't help, game still freezes! I have tried everything FFS! I have like 12 drivers for Rage Fury Pro, none of them solved my problem. In fact, the newer drivers were worse then the older ones!

Guest alley_cat

Quesiton: How did we came to the conclusion that Duke_Leeto's problem is caused by his video card? I mean he tried every possible driver and every possible setting. I REALLY think at this point that his problem lies somewhere else other than his ATI card. Try thinking in other directions maybe 8)

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Well to be quite frank, I am royally ****ed off!

I have spent 2 months trying to get this game to work on my machine, I have tried almost every possible hardware related troubleshoot, windows related troubleshoot, and DirectX related troubleshoot. Still, it insists on freezing.

At this point it's time to admit the obvious Nyar: WW POORLY PROGRAMMED THIS GAME!

Fact is, all my games work but Emperor, and even if it is some conflict in my hardware settings, I had no idea it was so hard just to play a stupid game. Now I hear that the game isn't working with Ge-force 3, will ww shift the blame on this company aswell? Or will they accept the responsibility this game may have memory leaks and such that are causing problems? (Honestly, I think that is the problem)

Fact is, I doubt anyone has tried as hard as I had to get this game to work. Name me one person that would give up every weekend they have for the past 2 months, playing around with settings, trying to get a game to work?

I suppose I could contact ww support again, but why bother, I would give them a list of 100 things I tried already and they will give me those same suggestions over and over that do not work. I think I need to upgrade the driver of my motherboard, ww support asked me to do that and I have been unable to do that, but ww provided me with no link to where I can upgrade my motherboard, so my guess is even they are left clueless if there possible upgrades for this motherboard, which I doubt that there are. . .