Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Guest fallom

Nyar, I tried putting the cd cache back to default, crash. With it on low, the movies stutter and stuff...I tried putting the sound acceleration to max, crash. Seems to me they both work in conjunction...

How long has Westwood been aware of this issue?

Guest antonym

Thanks Nyar. I will try that as soon as I'm back at my home machine. I've downloaded two different sets of the 1.05.00 drivers and both tell me, upon install, something to the effect that my machine does not have the appropriate language or that it can't find the language that the driver is for. Those aren't the exact words but it's pretty close. Anyone else have this. BTW, this is a standard english install of Win98SE.

I'll try the 1.04.00 drivers as well. Maybe they will install properly.

One last thing... Has anyone had problems with other games when moving back to an older version of the Voodoo drivers?

Thanks again everyone!

Sure, tech support listens to me, my case is still open and they're still investigating and replying to my questions. Too bad the users of this board won't listen. I've asked several times to not put in this thread any grieve you might have with ww tech support...what can I say, just read through the last 10 posts or so and draw your own conclusion...

I said I would go to tech support and put your problems there, so I did.... updates:

Alley_cat: for me, they are still looking into te issue why driver version 1.04 works and 1.07 didn't. => they have updated me several times.

x-ray: They asked me if I could ask x-ray to check his ethernet card, due to the strange IP address. I also asked x-ray to update his video card drivers => where is he and his reply ?

Right now, I can't give tech support any answer, cause I have no updates for x-ray's issue...cool...trying to help people out, guess it's time I start to focus on enjoying the game...

You all know why I took the libarty of gathering all info in one topic, and why I've put it in a summary to tech support:

"In closing, if you honestly, truly, absolutely feel tech support isn't helping you, send me an email at devinoch@westwood.com with a complete log of your communications with tech support and I'll look into it.

Devinoch"

In stead of flaming ww tech support in this thread, why didn't anyone do the above and leave this thread for troubleshooting, like I asked several times ?

I really tried to help you guy's, but as said before, I'm still feeling the Spanish guy who faught windmills and I'm kinda fed up with that.

You all do what you think is best, and above all, especially do not listen to a fool who's fighting windmills...

:(

Nyar...

Guest nine12

Ok. My problem is as follows. When viewing the movies in Emperor (not all, but most), certain ones will lockup my machine. It's not a crash back to the desktop, it completely freezes my machine.

I've tried adding +w to the shortcut, but it didn't work. I've tried reinstalling twice, but to no avail. I've also tried e-mailing WW tech support but so far no answer.

My EAsy_EA.txt files (which I've conveniently uploaded to my web server as to not take up too much space) is at the following address.

http://www.leprekaunz.fragme.co.uk/EAsy_EA.txt

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Update: Please keep in mind that I close everything down when playing except Explorer and Systray.

[This message has been edited by nine12 (edited 08-02-2001).]

Guest alley_cat

Nyar, I'm sure you know I'm one of the most patient one here. But you saw their responses to me, and saw how wise and logical they were, and since I still have the problem (with the 1.07) for over a month, and the Westwood tech support is trying to feed me with bull**** (how else can you explain their statement about the voodoo drivers? Either they are really stupid or they just don't want to help me and hope I won't know what they are saying is not true). So now I am back and feeling tired again. And I think that this time I have every right to accuse Westwood. I didn't do it even once over the last couple of weeks where only you were the good soul who tried to help me. But now, it seems that they are trying to get rid of me since they don't have a proper answer.

Maybe you can try and continue talking with the tech team.

Did you get a helpful response so far from them? A response containing an idea that wasn't covered here in one of the threads? I will sure like to know. But until than, I'm really disappointed of Westwood. And I think that this time you should agree with me about this.

nyar,

I doubt Devinoch can do anything once they close an issue. I also doubt there is anything they can do anyway for my issue at this point. They say K6-III processors are not supported. It would have been nice for them to say that from the beginning though. Personallly I am tired of emailing people who don't do anything to help and don't provide technically accurate information. I have no confidence in their abilitites. I am sorry if you consider this a flame, I don't. I am just giving my opinion.

Alley, I promissed not to leave you in the middle of all this, and I won't. I will finish my comunication with WW tech support in a proper way and provide you with updates/results.

I know that most of you have been really patient, and that's not the issue here. What dissapointed me, is that several still used this thread to post their grieve with WW. I asked several times to not use this thread to post any grieves. This is not a question of me understanding your grieves, cause I do understand them, don't get me wrong there. But as far as I can conclude things (just like you do), I'm not being listend to, so why would I bother to continue (besides to continue with the case I have with WW tech support)?

Give me one good reason ? There isn't any..

And number6, I do not take that as a flame.

Everyone has his/her right to an opinion, I just wish it wouldn't be in this thread.

Again, my issue is not about how good/bad tech support is. It's about this thread being used as outlet for your grieves with tech support, while I asked you to not do so.... that's it...

Enough said... :(

Nyar...

Guest alley_cat

Nyar, I totally accept what you say. Maybe this isn't the proper place to talk about this. So where do you suggest we should put this complains (honest quesiton)?

Number6, Leeto, do you think we should open a new thread containing the expreience we had with the WW tech support? What do you think?

I agree that Nyar did a splendid job so far. Keep on doing so! :) I will respect what you asked, so number6 and Leeto, tell me what you think.

Thank you Alley. I would suggest you do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to Devinoch, as you clearly tried tech support and they couldn't/didn't help you.

2) Send an e-mail to customer service, I do not know what is does, but who knows. Look on the below link for e-mail addresses.

http://westwood.ea.com/html/techsupp/custserv.html

Opening a new thread would be a good outlet, but I doubt if anyone from WW will respond, or give you the satisfaction your looking for. As said, at least you're able to get rid of the grieve you have...

[Edit: As word of advise, make sure you do not curse in that thread, cause that might get it deleted....]

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 08-02-2001).]

fallom, for you, as well as for so many other users who are using the Nvidia drivers.... try the drivers from your card manufacturer. You're another example that works in favor of my theory.

As far as I can see now (thanks to no updates from users with GeForce cards that actually work), I'm the only one in this thread, with a GeForce and using my card manufacturers drivers...

Look at the differences:

Mine:

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : ASUS V8200 Series v12.60

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1260

Primary display device

Description : ASUS V8200 Series v12.60

Manufacturer : ASUS

Video Memory : 64 MB

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv

Version : 4.13.01.1260

Provider : ASUS

It has Asus all over it....

Now yours (and every others for that matter):

Video Card : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1241

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Video Memory : 32 MB

Version : 4.13.01.1241

Provider : NVIDIA

See ? Where's you card manufacturers name ?

As said before, I do not know if it means anything, but for now, all votes in favor of my theory.

Nyar...

Guest alley_cat

Duke and number6. I sent Dev an e-mail now, and I intend to start a thread too. I just you to make all your info about your discussions with the Westwood tech support ready, tell me you are ready, and than I will start a thread which would contain a copy of what I sent to Dev.

Sorry again Nyar. :)

MrShadow, did you try the drivers from your manufacturer ? If so, any change in your problem ?

Alley, if you talk to x-ray by any chance, could you ask him for an update ?

Thanks...

Nyar...

Guest MrShadow

"MrShadow, read my previous posts about GeForce drivers. Looking at your output, I would say your case votes in favor of my theory...

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

In short, get the drivers from your card manufacuteres site (latest), or search www.download.com in the driver section.

Keep us updated !

Nyar..."

I tried the drivers from creative and the NVIDIA microsoft certified ones and reinstalled DirectX. Emperor still crashes and I noticed it still says I have the 4.31 drivers.

MrShadow

Guest alley_cat

"Thanks Nyar. I will try that as soon as I'm back at my home machine. I've downloaded two different sets of the 1.05.00 drivers and both tell me, upon install, something to the effect that my machine does not have the appropriate language or that it can't find the language that the driver is for. Those aren't the exact words but it's pretty close. Anyone else have this. BTW, this is a standard english install of Win98SE.

I'll try the 1.04.00 drivers as well. Maybe they will install properly.

One last thing... Has anyone had problems with other games when moving back to an older version of the Voodoo drivers?"

Hah! Told you I wasn't my system fault for not being able to install the stupid 1.05 version :)

Anyway, I had the same problem with the drivers, so I tried to install the 1.04 drivers (on my current 1.07) and it worked fine afterwards.

Number6, since Dev already answered my e-mail (you don't want to know) it wouldn't be appropriate if I would be the one to start such a thread, but if one of you (you or Leeto) would start such a thread I will be happy to join in.

Guest Reaperman

Oh, god, I think I'm going NUTS after about eight hours trying to get the bugger to run properly.

I get a series of different problems, depending on what I'm doing, but all of them throw me out to the desktop without so much as an error message;

If I'm in Skirmish, I get about thirty seconds of playing and then out to desktop.

If I'm running the Tutorial, the helpful voice-over gets as far as mentioning that space is limited and then it all goes wrong.

The Atreides campaign, Mission 1: The main game engine loads up, zoom into the construction yard, the Mentat has time to say a few words and then the screen pans across to a spice field and it all goes wrong.

Harkonnen and Ordos campaigns: no sooner has the "loading bar" filled up than I am looking at the desktop once more. Don't even get as far as the game engine.

I've been through Westwood Support and tried everything they suggested (they were very helpful BTW... no flames here) but still no dice. The Avance site has a couple of broken links at present, so I'm a bit worried about the sound card, but the thing is the little of the game I see has sound and graphics working just fine...

Anyway, I'm approaching my wits' end. Not a long way to go, of course :-) but if anyone can help me, I'd be wildly appreciative. This is driving me nuts. I've tried getting the latest drivers for the TNT2 (and yes, I reinstalled Emperor afterwards) I played around with the CD cache and everything. Nothing. Sob....

Oh, incidentally, menu screens and movies work fine.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Reaperman

Here's the EAsy_EA txt file;

---EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

Sound Card : ALS4000 Audio Device (WDM)

Sound Driver : als4000.sys

Driver Version :

DirectX : DirectX 8

Operating System Windows ME 4.90.3000

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : REX WILTON

BIOS Info

Name : Award

Version : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

PNP : Plug and Play BIOS

Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1

CPU Type : 478 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD K6-2

5 8 12

RAM : 63 MB Total

0 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 1984 MB Total

1878 MB Free

Operating System : Windows ME 4.90.3000

Default Browser : C:COMPUS~2cs.exe "%1"

Version :

Temp Directory : C:WINDOWSTEMP

Size : 23 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 800x600 16

Refresh Rate (Primary) : Optimal refresh rate

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Video Memory : 32 MB

Version : 4.13.01.1241

Provider : NVIDIA

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | | | |

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : ALS4000 Audio Device (WDM)

Manufacturer : Avance

Main Driver : als4000.sys

Version :

Provider :

Description : Wave Device for Voice Modem

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Main Driver : serwave.vxd

Version : 4.90.00.3000

Provider :

Description : Gameport Joystick

Main Driver : vjoyd.vxd

Version : 4.08.00.0400

Provider :

Description : Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer

Main Driver :

Version :

Provider :

Description : Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer

Main Driver :

Version :

Provider :

Description : Thrustmaster Flight Control System

Driver : msjstick.drv

Attached : No

Description : 2-axis, 4-button joystick

Driver : msjstick.drv

Attached : Yes

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info

Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info

Certified : Certified

DirectPlay Info

Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 214 KB

Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

Free Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter C

Volume Name : DOS400

Type : Fixed

File System : FAT32

Total Space : 9.53 GB

Free Space : 2.68 GB

Drive Letter D

Volume Name : PETROC'S

Total Space : 286.83 MB

Free Space : 195.86 MB

Drive Letter E

Volume Name : DAD'SAPPS

Total Space : 2.74 GB

Free Space : 1.69 GB

Drive Letter F

Volume Name : EMPEROR1

Type : CDRom

File System : CDFS

Total Space : 639.69 MB

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

Drive Letter G

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : Ergovision 760 TCO95/TCO95-S

Manufacturer : Taxan (Europe) Ltd.

Max. Resolution : 1280,1024

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Dial-Up Adapter

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Provider : Microsoft

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

IP Address: Obtained from provider

IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : AOL Adapter

Manufacturer : America Online

Driver : aolmac.vxd

Provider : America Online

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

Description : AOL Dial-Up Adapter

Manufacturer : America Online

Driver : aolmac.vxd

Provider : America Online

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

Description : Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

Description : Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter

Driver : netpptp.sys

Bound Protocols

NDISWAN

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : HID-compliant mouse

Type :

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description : Motorola VoiceSURFR 56K Internal PnP

Driver : Motorola VoiceSURFR 56K Internal PnP

Provider :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :

Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0

----Task List-----------------------------------------------

msgsrv32.exe

spool32.exe

mprexe.exe

mmtask.tsk

Explorer

taskmon.exe

Systray

tsadbot.exe

msmsgs.exe

wmiexe.exe

ddhelp.exe

wcs2000.exe

internat.exe

msimn.exe

pstores.exe

autorun.exe

emperor battle for dune_ez.exe

----Autoexec.bat--------------------------------------------

SET COMSPEC=C:WINDOWSCOMMAND.COM

SET windir=C:WINDOWS

SET winbootdir=C:WINDOWS

SET TEMP=C:WINDOWSTEMP

SET TMP=C:WINDOWSTEMP

SET PATH=C:WINDOWS;C:WINDOWSCOMMAND;C:DOS

SET PROMPT=$P$G

----Config.sys----------------------------------------------

*empty*

Reaperman, for you the same as for all Nvidia users in here. Please try to get the latest driver from your video card manufacturers site. Check the previous page for my posts as of why :)

[Edit: btw, you hav a funny browser...

Default Browser : C:COMPUS~2cs.exe "%1"]

Nyar...