Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

-x-ray, now try to identify which one:

v7700, v7100, v6600, v6800 ?

btw, I looked on their site, and for mine, they've got even newer drivers, so I'll take the change and download these, see if it screws the game up for me as well.

Nyar...

Guest jeromeku

I just completed the 1st mission without a lockup. When I was having the Crash to Desktop settings I had tweaked my bios to have an AGP Aperature of 64meg. Anyway I backed it down to 8meg after seeing a post from June about backing it down to 4meg. 8meg Aperature didn't get me very far in windows, so I went back to 32meg. Windows loaded proper video settings at that setting. So again rebooted... backed it down to 16meg. This did the trick.

Of course I can't tell if the DirectX installs I did helped my situation at all.

oh well... I'm happy it appears to be working now. Who knows this may be another premature msg, but it is a breakthrough for me. Thanks for all your help on this thread. I will be checking back frequently to help others as well. As I now have lots of EBF4D debugging experience :).

With my crash-to-desktop I could usually play the first few missions without crashing or little crashing. Once I hit about the 8th mission or so the game was basically unplayable because it crashed in less then 5 minutes.

dune01, does the game work for you now, besides when you load a saved game ?

If it's just the saved game that put's you back to desktop, did you try to save a new game and load it again ?

btw, what drivers did you exactly upgrade ?

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-29-2001).]

sanjn, as said before, the game should work with a GeForce 3 (I'm having the Asus v8200 GeForce 3) and for me the game runs fine.

What I've noticed is that the GeForce (2 or 3) users with probs with the game, are running a Nvidia driver, while I'm running a driver from Asus itself. I do not know if it makes any difference, but try to go to your manufacurers site (sanjn, Hercules in your case) and download their latest driver (I think should be 12.60).

Besides the fact that all GeForce users are running Nvidia drivers, they're all the same driver, being 12.41. Coincidence ? facts don't say so :)

Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 07-29-2001).]

Summary of all the shortcut options:

* you can add "+w" (without the quotes) to the Target line in the game's shortcut. This will force the game to preload each movie into memory before playing.

* If you have a Voodoo card, you may experience display problems due to texture compression. To disable the texture compression, you will need to add "-C" (without the quotes) to the Target line in the game's shortcut.

* If you are running two video cards, the game may choose the video card you do not wish to use. You can force it to use your alternate card by adding "-ALTVID" (without the quotes) to the Target line in the game's shortcut.

* Also try the +v option. Still not sure what is does, but it helped out some before..

Nyar...

It would be advisable for everyone to give a small summary of the current exact problem. Also which of the suggestions still hasn't been tried. This due to the fact that the game works now for a couple of people. This way we're able to focus more on the probs currently at hand.

Thanks !

Nyar...

Guest -X-ray

Nyar, no. i've d/l the delux flash something...

the first driver for v6800

if you can tell me the specific driver i have to d/l it will be more than helpful.

Reading the readme fromthe driver I've downloaded, I would say, download that one (v8200). Note: Do read the readme how to install the driver and make sure that if something goes wrong, you have the current driver at reach !

Nyar...

Guest dune01

Nyar, I updated both my SB Live drivers and my video drivers. The funny thing is I loaded the "updates" with the same updates that I had installed previous to loading E:BFD. I don't remember the version that I upgraded my sound card with, but I loaded the Beta 3 drivers from 3dfx for my Voodoo3 3500. I can't get back into the game to resave a game at the point that I am at. I am replaying to try to get to that point. And yes, my single player campaign and skirmish modes seem to work. Thanks. Later...

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Gobal, thanks for mentioning that, but I have already tried that driver and every single driver by Rage Fury Pro 128. They all have the same result, Dune freezing in game! The best driver seems to be 6292 driver, it still freezes but after 30 min. I think I need to upgrade the driver of my motherboard. Many of those drivers I downloaded in the instructions they said I MUST get the latest drivers for my motherboard. Problem is, I went to intel site and I can't find any upgrades for my motherboard there!

Guest Duke_Leeeto

"Duke_leeto & dune01,

Try adjusting your AGP Aperature settings in your BIOS. I'm not sure what menu they would be under on your versions, but mine was under "Chipset Features" or something like that. This has been my experience...

you set it too low, and risk not being able to switch into higher resolutions for Windows. Set it too high and EB4D would break."

Can you please tell me how to do that in Windows 98. I'm sorry, but I do not know the exact steps on how to get there. I clicked on properties for my BIOS in the device manager, and I found nothing like that. So how do I get there?

Duke_Leeeto,

Like jeromeku said in his post these settings are in your system BIOS. The BIOS is accessible outside of Windows. When your system powers up you press a button like "Delete, F1, or Escape", it's different for each type of BIOS. Once you have found the right key to press during power up you will enter some kind of custom menu screen and in one of those menus is the setting for the AGP aperture size.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Number, I tried all 3 of those keys when my computer was restarting and NONE of them brought me to such a menu, I still went to windows. So how to I access my BIOS?

Guest alley_cat

btw, -X-ray, the tech support from telerom got back to me today.

They said that there are 3 common soluitons:

1) the 1.07 patch of the game

2) the 1.07 drivers of the voodoo3 (you probably thought that they meant to this as the cure for all ;))

3) Using the -c (doesn't make any diffrence to my game).

So they agreed that using an older driver is not a solution in the long term, and promised that they'll get back to me with answers as soon as possible.

Guest Duke_Leeeto

****! I managed to enter my BIOS by pressing the Del key, but now I need some stupid password to get in and I have no idea what it is! Now this is hopeless, I don't think my dad even knows what it is! And even if my dad did know, he wouldn't give it to me, because he would ask me, "why do you want to access the BIOS?" Then I would say, "To make Emperor work," like that would stand up well in a parent/son argument, risking messing up the comp for a game. . .

Guest jeromeku

wow... ppl actually password protect their BIOs :).

Duke_leeto - are you running a branded or home built machine?

--jk

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Well, is there any way I can get in? Or is it impossible? To be quite frank, I think this freezing problem is impossible to fix. I have tried every single Rage Fury Pro driver, none of them worked or solved the situation. The only thing left to do is to upgrade my motherboard, but I can't find any upgrades for it, so it seems like the only option I have left is to buy a new graphics card. Any suggestions on a graphics card that works well on this game?

Guest YahooGuy

I was having issues with the game locking upon initial deployment of the MCV in a particular mission..... so I updated all my drivers (I was due anyways), but it didn't help. So I moved the MCV one more spot or so away from the edge of the board, and it worked! Repeatedly, it worked. I don't get it, but if you move it close to the edge, it gives the "cannot deploy" icon... so I went to just where it would, and locked it. I spent all day on this, and boy does it irk me to know it was that simple.... Oh well, back to the game :-)

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : ASUS V8200 Series v12.60

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.1260

This is the updated version of the e-report.

Downloaded the latest drivers and ran a campaign mode. Finished it easily :D

No luckups. Small capture from the readme.doc:

ASUS Display Drivers Readme for Windows 98 and Windows ME

Supported Cards and Motherboards:

ASUS VANTA2000

ASUS V3800 Series

ASUS V6600 Series

ASUS V6800 Series

ASUS V7100 Series

ASUS V7700 Series

ASUS V8200 Series

ASUS CUA Series

This is the dwonload site:

http://www.asus.com/Products/Addon/Vga/asuse/enthusiast_drv.htm

Nyar...

Can't you just stop the g*d*mn finger pointing issue. I've about had it with people finger pointing. I've asked nicely to quit it here and if you feel the need to do it anyway, to post a new thread !

Duke, for once and for all, we're willing to help, so be positive about it !!! I've you don't want us to help you, just shut the f*ck up ! I've always been polite, but you've gone to far.

As last reply to your pathetic attitude, here's a fact:

1) Loads of people run the game just fine out of the box.

Nyar...