Iraq Issues

Don't woory about the war. When the Americans reach Bagdad

and it's final rersistance they'll just head right to the oil fields.

(as they meant to all the time ;D)

and what they are doing now.Possibly because Bush has oil fetish?Who knows?LOL.

But anyway USA basically just want to invade the oil fields,maybe even before they reach baghdad,they would have captured all oil fields and then stop the war there. :)

Well they get some food and water. :)

Basically they will probably be sent to camps until the war is over at which point they will probably be allowed back depending on their level of involvement in past events.

The US has said numerous times the oil is the Iraqi's. If they don't follow through on that then I suspect there will be a lot of backlash.

ATM I don't believe much of what I hear in the news as both sides prolly would only tell what benifits them the most.

However I just heard that Turkish military is entering northern Iraq, where must of the people are Kurds, let's see how they will react.

Furthermore I didn't like the picture of Stars and Stripes waving from an Iraqi city, that would make it look like an invasion not a liberation of Iraq, not very thought through in my opinion.

These are just some ideas I've had, besides that I think that until now it has been very well organized and the no. of civilian deaths very low wich is positive.

Good link Nema, here are their updates from today.

Group shows Iraqis welcoming U.S.

An article about a group of human shields who left Iraq after finding out about the regime. According to the article he has, "uncensored video, all shot without Iraqi government minders present, with Iraqis eager to tell of their welcome for American troops."

What I've heard directly from an Iraqi article and also from an American media (NY Times) is that they ARE happy to get Saddam out. So it most of Islamic world (so am I). BUT some are mad that it's the American that are doing it because they are sure US will stay for petroleum and so on. Those who aren't mad are highly sceptical.

Isnt subway Canadian? or do I live too far in the country side?

How can a canadian food chain "bring a touch of home" to U.S. soldiers? Other than its a food chain, personnally I'm sure MacDonalds would "bring a touch of home" closer.

Hm. Of the 24 British servicemen killed so far, only 5 have died from enemy fire, and 5 have been killed by the Americans. Two have been killed when one British tank shot another, and most of the rest lost their lives in accidents (like the helicopter which crashed in northern Kuwait).

Let me comment the "1 in 3 french backs saddam" article.

About the crime cited in the article: no doubt this is the act of some isolated arab extremists that are exited by the recent muslim calls for jihad. That has nothing to do with the vast majority christian french population. These arab fanatics just refuse the french nationality. Considering that arab population living on french territory counts in millions, you can only acclaim the work of french security administration, that made all the necessary arrests so that anti-american and anti-jewish acts can be limited at such a low level (whereas the hatred can be high among arab population).

About the poll (the exact figure is 35% said to be pro-saddam): that is typically the deplorable result in west-europe when politics let the pacifists lead the opinion. The pacifists quickly get manipulated by communists and old pro-soviet reflexes reappear. That is only really an epiphenomenon, uncensored pictures of iraki civilian horrors are seen on french TV screens and communists exploit them for interior politics. Don't worry about that. The french opinion is quite versatile. France and frenchs will quickly align again on more traditional US-friendly positions, being proud of the Statue Of Liberty and commemorating the sacrifice of allied soldiers in WWII. Do you remember the GATT and the nuclear tests (ironically you were the pacifists)? Such tensions between France and England/Germany/US are common and never survive very long. They will permanently affect neither EU unity nor transatlantic friendship. Chirac may be wrong in many of its decisions but he is correct in remarking it has always been like this in the past. Otherwise we would eternally argue about the witch trial of Jeanne Of Arc. The current argument is simply overestimated. Not very long before France and US are partners again, this is how politics works.

It was a compliment. I know many French-speaking people. My school is 3/4 French immersion students. I know many Quebecers. However I only know one person from France (and he's a wee bit of a nutjob). But that's not who I was referring to.

French politicians don't make sense. Chirac makes no sense. The UN rep makes no sense. The protesters seen on TV make no sense. It's refreshing to see contrast.