Butlerian Jihad, Outlandish?

TMA_1

So many things that Kevin J and Brian have written in the Dune universe seems just a little rushed and not soundly thought. Though I love their books and have no qualms of them writing new things in the dune universe, it seems that so many things they make seem amature and regular. The thing about Franks writings is he was subtle. I dont feel that from brian and kevin. The setting of Butlerian Jihad for example. It doesnt click. It just doesnt feel like the same universe that frank made. Cymeks that were once universal powerhouses, dethroned by Omnius, a super computer. It just doesnt make sense. I always read and thought that it was real humans, not cybernetic humans, who were masters of machines and gained total domination by their power. Controlling robots, making androids, ships that could think on their own. Even people like Ibrahim Holtzmen who emplanted his brain to the ship. that is what the DE talks about. Does anybody get what I mean? Dont you think that there is just something that causes a rift between Franks works and brian and kevins? Dont get me wrong I love all the books they have written them and try my hardest to keep them canon. its just so hard.

exactly, and even the intrigue was like star wars episode 1 intrigue. "naboo is under attack, the trade federation for no reason is taking us over!"

then the jedi, "Ahh we cant sense the dark side anymore... danr it." lol

I mean they are good books, just not as sophisticated I guess.

I believe the best way to decide whether or not Brian and Kevin are really writing Dune books is to take GEOD and ask yourself: Do you truly believe that they could write something as cerebral, philisophical, and multilayerd as that?

I never understood why people think Messiah is the worts of the sequels. To me, it's just as good (and depending on my mood) better than the original. The tragic nature of it all.... If Shakepseare had lived in the 60's and wrote sci-fi, he'd have written Dune Messiah.

Can't say that I've read any Shakespeare :-

It's really sad that Herbert never managed to finish Dune 7 before he died. Brian and Kevin have the notes, and perhaps even enough to know how FH would have finished it, but it just wouldn't be as good as the way it was intendend.

Plus, since we probably will never get to see his notes, we'll never know if FH intended everything to be around the AIs, or if his son and Anderson all just made that up.

Well dune messiah is almost a total requirement. It is the link to children of Dune and holds much importance. I think the reason why people dont like it as much is because it is so short ocmpared to franks other books. That is just an idea.

Hmm, I accepted from the beginning that it wouldn't be so good as Dune. But I liked the books. I can read it without confusing myself with the Duniverse of Frank. And what I was reading was the vision of BH and KJA on this Duniverse.

About the sequels. I think I'm gonna read them again, I've must have missed some things when I read it years ago.

I like the entire Dune series but I agree Dune Messiah is almost too short when compared to the other novels in the series. I do not really care for the prequels because they are not as complex or intruging as F. Herbert's previous work. Original series 1 Prequels 0.

To be honest, I prefer the sequels to FH's books with the execption of Dune which i think is the best book

I beleive the prequels are very easy to read compared to FH others books. (took me 1/3 of GEoD to understand what was going on, and same for Heretics Dune.)

but i would prefer to read the sequels, more to figure out and think. I think that Kevin and herbert son, explain things too simple and repeat stuff to much.(like my heart ached for Serena, blah blah blah)

hehe that was a good episode acriku. :)

It is from House Corrino I do believe. Remember when Rhombur found out that his half brother who was also shaddam's half brother was killed by none other than shaddam himself? he was very angry and at the end of one of the chapters said "and this time its personal". kinda silly.lol