Hedonism and its effects.

Well I am going to try this again. I am sorry for blowing up all of you. There is no excuse. Some personal problems have really effected me lately.

so keep this clean. I really think this is an interesting subject because a lot of my friends and I have talked about it.

Well I have done heavy research on the subject. I have noticed a rise in cult and occultic activities. These cults usually either are offshoots of other main religions or basic ideals of eastern thought or even peganism from Europe.

Many basic philosphies of these cults and small religions is "You can do all you wish as long as you dont harm anybody else." Well I am not saying they have no right to do this, but isnt this just a tad scary? nihilism and hedonism is rising faster and faster. Not only is this a problem but also "four squares" or ultra conservitive christians and muslims come into play with their evil thoughts and judgements upon men, doing the work that God is supposed to do, acting like Satan himself. Evils have seemed to start attacking on both sides. Both Legalism and Lisiviousness. Both lust and prude attitudes. Those who are middle ground even are weary and falter to one side or the other.

So, western christianic philosophy, based on Jesus Christ, was in not "doing tolerantly to others", but "doing helpfully to others". Tolerance is a primary value of eastern religions, hinduism and buddhism. Every time you train yoga, remember it. You are opening yourself to eastern infiltration! And who knows, who really leads them? Brahma - the creator - is in these religions showed as "obsolete" god, which was replaced by Vishnu, but soon will come Shiva - the destroyer, who will bring the new world. So de facto they are worshipping Satan.

Buddhism is a meditative religion, which wants you to fully open your mind. Maybe Buddha wanted people to stop worshipping "evil gods", but I see that it is only the shortest way to gain their believe. When you have cleared your mind, you are ready to mess it with new believe - without your natural barriers. Understand? Scientology is based on it and I believe it's much more dangerous than occultism.

"You can do all you wish as long as you dont harm anybody else."

TMA, why is that so scary? It's the basis for the modern ideals of freedom. In fact, for a law to be a law, it has to fit that criteria. Unless you are hurting someone else, what youa re doing cannot be illegal. I think is was John Stuart Mill (Or was it JohnLocke? I always get the two of them mixed up) who said that.

I can't say I did much research on the subject myself, but it's an interesting subject. Some cult may be immoral or even disgusting in some ways, but what are you going to do about it? You can't really do anything about a cult unless it violates the law, otherwise its taking away religious freedom.

good post mahdi, but I guess I should have said it was wrong like this. There are responsibilities to others and to self. And I am not saying anything in a legal sense I am talking about morality. That somehow we have lost control of ourselves through the lack of control in society. that make any sense? hope so.lol

Lack of moral control is usual in today's urbanized world. You know too much people and you have too fast and risky life to control others. But, also, much bigger problem is when you haven't time to even think about it. About rise of occultism, it is possible only between atheists. They are lacking spirituality, or just finding unbonded "fun". So they are trying anything.

Why solution? Atheists are now "reborn". First, with primitive occult religions. And soon, they will find Christianity again. Open eyes, it's going to reneissance! But I think there IS a problem, which can be solved very hardly. Christianity has, not good it is destructive, an opponent. I think rise of scientology and western hinduism has been stabilised, but we must be aware. Look at India or Bangladesh, and you'll see what bring these religions.

christianity is going down hill. I must admit that. Thats a good sign though to some believers. Also good point Caid, many of these people who are into the occult are looking for a lost sense of spirituality.

These days, people are worshipping a new god. It is rectangular, thin, green and with the face of George Washington on it... Money, the god of Greed.

Yes, the biggest enemy of Christianity is Moneyism, the religion of Greed.

But Moneyism is only the modern form of the ancient philosophy of Hedonism, literraly "the philosophy of pleasure". Personal enjoyment and pleasure, at the expense of everything else. It has infested our culture to its very core.

We pursue in vain the shallow pleasures of life, and therefore our existence is devoid of depth. We search for happiness in wealth and luxury, but no amount of material wealth can fill the deep, black void left in the place where spiritual fulfillment should have been.

So is it any wonder that so many of us cannot find a purpose in life? Is it any wonder that we cannot find inner peace, when we search for it in all the wrong places?

Every religion has its time. Well maybe the Jedi Knight religion will remain forever! ;)

Edric, when the ability to function well in society deals with money and the management of it so much, it's no wonder money is a big issue in one's life. Atleast in America and other capitalist countries. Wanting money isn't necessarily greed, depends on what we use it for.

And some of us do not require spiritual fulfillment to be happy...Some of us can live up to the fact that dying isn't a bad thing. It's necessary, so live with it! Believe(hope) there is something afterwards to give yourself security for your remaining years, it's up to you. And me. And everybody.

And some of us do not require spiritual fulfillment to be happy...Some of us can live up to the fact that dying isn't a bad thing. It's necessary, so live with it! Believe(hope) there is something afterwards to give yourself security for your remaining years, it's up to you. And me. And everybody.

You don't seem to understand. I'm not talking about the afterlife. I'm talking about spiritual fulfilment in this life. I'm talking about a meaning and a purpose to this life.

And what does Christianity bring to the table in terms of spiritual fulfillment? And I don't think it should be called spiritual fulfillment, suggesting something that goes beyond our understanding, but maybe self-fulfillment. Well call it what you want, but you can get it from a lot of places, maybe those who can't find it do not understand what they are looking for?

Acriku:

And what does Christianity bring to the table in terms of spiritual fulfillment?

Love. Christianity is the religion of Love.

maybe those who can't find it do not understand what they are looking for?

That is exactly what I said 2 posts ago. People these days look for fulfilment in all the wrong places. Wealth can only give you a shallow, empty "happiness".

Vigil:

The purpose of life is death.

That is only your opinion...

He pointed it out so you would know that it isn't his opinion as well, so he disagrees.

And how does Wicca/Daoism/Taoism/etc not give you love? I have a friend who is a Daoist and loves the earth, his country (oorah he joined the Marines), and his family and friends.

Vigil: Besides what Acriku said, it was because you made it sound like you considered it some absolute truth... at least that's how it seemed to me. Well, never mind. :)

Acriku: Of course anyone in any religion can love, that is part of being human. But there is only one religion that puts more emphasis on Love than anything else. There is only one religion where the two most important commandments are to love God and love your fellow man. Christianity is that religion.

And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments [is], Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment.

And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

- Mark 12:28-31