Dune Legacy News

TonyD

0.77b is now up! :D Please try out the networking and letme know how it goes.

argghh.. crappy icq page, its going on here now.

b2 slows starport arrival time significantly.

Try the later version posted next page.

Theres a bug on the clients side which will make infantry sometimes appear to run off in random directions. If wont crash game, but is more of an anoiyance, I'm trying to fix it now.

Fixed it, ill just replace the last posts attachment with b3.... And now finally I beleive this to be a good reliable version ;).

yes i did, it created 2 new folders, one graphics and the other temp34534451, the dos thingy says

*.pak

The system cannot find the file specified.

0 file(s) copied.

dune.pak is not from dune2 version 1.00

dont know why it wont work. I downloaded from the link provided at main page.

do I need dune 2 installed? because i dont at that moment.. :(

Ok I played a quick game. There seems to be some problems with credits when you are building a lot of stuff, sometimes it wouldn't take any away even though it should have been. Units in the air are able to overlap each other. The white text saying how much something costs and how many are queued is hard to read against those light images. I played as Atreides and couldn't build a barracks, I could build a WOR but not a regular barracks. I'm not 100% sure what caused this but when I went to the ingame menu to look at settings things slowed down a lot and the CPU usage went higher.

Some things I would like to see. Better movement commands, ie force attack and whatever else is in the more modern WW RTS games. A rally point for units coming out of buildings. Better information on structures, like power plants tell you your current power level and so on.

It uses 100% because it tries to get the highest framerate possible... I have no idea in respect to windows programming, but is it realy worth throtling the game so it only uses at most say 50%. If your playing this game you don't need to be doing anything else I would have thought. Its not as if its a "windowy windows application" or anything. I'll look into this though - I'll see what other games do.

Quake 3 arena, Jedi Knight both use 100% of cpu. I beleive this is common practice. Quake2 did not use 100% though. Only about 30-40%.

You can set gather points for buildings, just select building then right click destination gather point.

I have basically removed the barracks from the game and use only the WOR. I was thinking maybe of using the barracks graphic for a hospital instead.

The structure information stuff is planned.

Units in the air are able to overlap each other.

I am trying to fix this now by making it so air units can't move to an unoccupied cell. The problem with this is at the moment is that air units are not restricted to a grid, so its difficult to predict which cell they will occupy next and thus assign to before another air unit tries to. I have a patial solution now, which works but looks quite shitty.

I have removed the random movement of ornithopters which looked like shit and also made them very overpowered.

The problem with this is at the moment is that air units are not restricted to a grid, so its difficult to predict which cell they will occupy next and thus assign to before another air unit tries to.

I have written a game engine with a grid where it's very easy to check if the next cell is empty. You just need to jot down the direction of the object or something and then just check with the next cell... I have big time problems with pathfinding in my engine though.

I'm not making a dune2 clone I just program that engine for fun and to see if I am able to make anything at all.

Well cyborg...

The problem is that he doesnt gave that grind you are misulating in the air...

With a grind like that the units movement may crash with the ground units and not allowing them to fly over a land object...

So he need a completly new airpathfinding system

acually, I could very easily restrict the air units to a grid, but I prefer the free movement that results when they are not. All the ground units I have done are restricted to this grid as described but because air units will have far few less obsticles in the air to worry about, an advanced path searching alogrithm and thus grid restriction are not really required.

Well cyborg...

The problem is that he doesnt gave that grind you are misulating in the air...

With a grind like that the units movement may crash with the ground units and not allowing them to fly over a land object...

So he need a completly new airpathfinding system

Well, why not add a second grid?

A grid in my engine is just a variable like this:

Gridname(110) which will give you 100 gridspaces

You can just add a second grid which airplanes uses ;)

But this isn't my game so this doesn't matter really ;D

actually, at the end you need to determine where your aircraft is right? So you can do some calculation to know its cell position and thus also try to find a fellow aircraft there... if you can do that, you can prevent 2 aircrafts flying into each other.

In my game, i don't care about it, because they could be flying over each other in real-life aswell...