Dune Legacy News

TonyD

neonext: don't panic! I'm still here, I have been on a bit of a break from programming recently but I'm having a go at networking again atm, then I'll probably fix the build lists tech level issues and stuff.

carryalls: I was thinking that the user will have to click repair on the unit, much like in dune2k. The unit will head towards the repair yard and if/when there is a free carryall it will be picked up and it will also be returned unlike in d2k.

turrets and power issues: The problem here is in the original dune2 missions there was never enough windtraps to power the computers rocket turrets so they will have to cheat and not require power in the original missions. I am planning to make it so user turrets do require power and ai turrets will cheat only in original dune2 missions.

I like the idea of being able to prioritise power output to rocket turrets in emergencies because this is a little more relistic. Perhaps production speeds could be halved in all other buildings when emergencvy mode is activated as to allow rocket turrets to run in low power situations. This way would be easy to use too.

And why not add a production mode too?

It's so annoying if you just placed a building that used too much power and all the production is slowed down.

What if there were a button that disabled all the turrets and such so that your construction yard and other buildings could produce as normal? :)

And why not add a production mode too?

It's so annoying if you just placed a building that used too much power and all the production is slowed down.

What if there were a button that disabled all the turrets and such so that your construction yard and other buildings could produce as normal? :)

Meh. Then people would only build enough power plants to run one of the two, and easily switch when enemy units arrived. IMO, if you don't build enough power in advance, it's your own fault.

Hm. Maybe another idea is a button that lets you auto-kick any other player who attacked you? "Hippie mode". :P

Meh. Then people would only build enough power plants to run one of the two, and easily switch when enemy units arrived.

Well, you would have to watch teh base all of the time to ensure that the enemy didn't attack... People would still make plenty of power.

Meh. Then people would only build enough power plants to run one of the two, and easily switch when enemy units arrived.

Well, you would have to watch teh base all of the time to ensure that the enemy didn't attack... People would still make plenty of power.

Radar.

Have latency, so that it takes time for a structures functionality to kick in after being powered up. This way one can't just instantly swap power supply modes, which would otherwise be quite pointless.

Hm. Sounds like an idea, though I still dislike the whole "power modes" thing/

I think the best way is just to leave it as it was, ie no crazy power things.

inadequate power = no radar + no turret fire + maybe half construction speed? :-

Anyways networking is coming along nicely. Unit movements, and building now works. I'm trying to get the start multigame menu much like warcraft 3 has atm so u can quickly set team, house colour and add computers into the game. This will mean I'll have to adjust the map format but its possible i could have networking working well enough for release in maybe a week.

I am looking forward to getting this game completed so I can start on another fully 3d engine. ;)

I am looking forward to getting this game completed so I can start on another fully 3d engine. ;)

Can that 3dengine import 3dstudio max models? If so, I'd love to model all the models you might need ;D

Hmm, I'm not sure yet because I'm quite new to 3d graphics. I had a quick md2 viewer running before but thats about as much as I know u see. If you are up to the challenge of making an entire games or at least a significant amount of 3d models I would be interested indeed. :D

If you are up to the challenge of making an entire games or at least a significant amount of 3d models I would be interested indeed. :D

I would be happy to model everything you need. (that's modeling, not 3dprogramming ;D)

Ok then, well have to wait and see waht happens after this game is finished though.

I am happy to say networking now works, except for palace and starport functionality. The games do seem to stay in sync well and it no longer seems to crash. It does slow down abit because I'm sending to much data to keep it syncronised but I should be able to cut it down by alot. Soon we should be able to play 6 player dune2! :D

yes, it will be possible, but.. there's two issues that come up from making the jump from LAN to internet

1) Lag. No matter where the two people are in the world (even in the same city), internet games will always have more lag than LAN games. Networking code that runs great on LAN is not gauranteed to work good on the internet.

2) Firewalls. This includes all types of networking hubs and routers people use to share internet access. Firewalls make it especially difficult to host games, but there is also a chance you will not be able to join games as well, unless you properly configure your hub/router to forward the required ports, as well as any software firewalls set up that are preventing you from connecting.

Yes the problem with internet play is:

An internet connection(take mine for instance which is 2mbit/per second) and compare it to the slowest network available, which is 10mbit...

We run 100mbit switch network at my home so that would yield 50 times the speed of my internet connection(theoretically. Because the location counts too. In a lan, the difference in the players locations is not big, but over internet it may be huge and therefore you get lag automatically).

This is why network code is so extremely important. Games that has a bad network code simple never get played over internet.

At the moment I would call my network code crappy :'(, so there is still a bit of work to do on it. It definitely will work over the internet. Im not sure how well though, so it will be up to u guys to test.

I fixed the major inefficincy of the net code and it now runs very well, Ill just get the palaces and starports working then release the next version :)