Hardrive problems?!?!

You are all flawed.

i have a 80gb also and it says 70.1gb. not sure why, my best guess it the conversion between gb and bytes or something. you know when there is 1024 bytes in 1 kb..something like that.

it is a piss off how it does that. also false advertising in my opinion

Every hard drive ever made stated xxx megs ... that number is before the drive has been formatted ... the formatting of the drive will eat into the xxx megs -- as to how much; it does depend on a couple of factors ... 1) hard drive size; 2) type of formatting used (currently there are 3, which depends on your operating system).

Guest Eric E.

Hello duneguy,

You could have the following problems:

-You got rigged and bought a lousy Harddisk

-You have a virus

-The OS you are currently running Could take about 4 Gb max. (Including all the updates) So you might have installed some other software that you are currently Un aware of

-You could have some programms that don't appear in the ''Software'' Section Due to lousy Programming.

I hope this will help you out

Until next post,

Eric E.

Well i know its not a virus... check that one off of the list...

yeah that helps.. is it possible that the space was lost when the initial product was installed : currently XP...

just an idea

XP home takes 4GB. it says its taken up when you buy it, though.

It has to do with what is actually a Megabyte (or GB) in mathmatical terms or by prefix definition. A real Megabyte is 1,048,576 bytes(2 to the 20th power). In the storage industry they go by 1,000,000 ( bytes as a Mb (1 million bytes) The computer Industry accepts both definitions although the first one is really the correct one in my opinion. Either way, your drive is being designated by 1,000,000 bytes per MB, and the OS and BIOS see it in terms of 1,048,576 bytes per MB. I wonder if the Industry will ever come together on one specification!

Its also a matter of marketing. The bigger the "marketing" size, the better. Right? At one time, vendors spec'ed their drives in "raw data" capacity. Formating reduces that to a useable formated size. Then as noted above there is the Mb and MB differance. Vendors tend to pick the number that makes them look better (untill you use it). Some utilites will give you both sizes. But by convention (and because programs are written by programmers who understand hex and the 256 multiples), the 1,048,576 bytes per 1 MB is used.

And let's not forget that the different formats, ie FAT16, FAT32, NTFS etc. waste some space. It's a fact of life (unfortunately).

Doesn't matter what you have, either way there's not much we can change about it. The only thing you could try is to find a 3rd party program that let's you partition and format your harddrive and get's closer to the harddrives full capacity.

It's just that software and hardware manufacturers are working according to different standards, resulting in the problems outlined above.

• 2 weeks later...

oh btw nyar, i have this strange HD problem... it not a harddisk crash (for gods sake no)... i just have a lazy harddrive... when i start up my pc my comp checks if everything is working and usually it is ok.. but sometimes (perhaps 1 out of 10 times :) ) the HD just sleeps.. after like 15 seconds it starts waking up but then the computer quits controlling and gives me a warning... when i reboot it's all fine.. it's just annoying

and since a week or 2 it sometimes also makes funny noise and when i reboot like 2 times or something the noise is gone

yes, perhaps. i did think about that. but the strange thing is, is that the noise only stops when i reboot the system...

but i guess you're right.. i'll check my pc from the inside.. perhaps i can find something there (probably a spider corpse hanging around in my fan)