The World Wide U.S. Catch-22

I am going to build off a statement made in another thread that warrants a new thread since this post is way off topic of that thread.

I think we like to poke fun at the US because they know so little about anything but the US, ok ok we just like to make it look that way

This is a most common view shared world-wide by non-americans. When I lived in Germany for 2 years, I encountered numerous people that refused to talk to me simply because I could not speak their language. Many of these people knew English very well, but pretend not to simply because I could not speak theirs. I know this is common amongst europeans because my european friends told me about it. There is a resentment amongst non-americans that they are all fluent in English, yet Americans cant speak a lick of their language. They resent that they know all the major US politicians but the Americans do not know theirs. The problem is that this is a catch-22 and is a dishonorable standard for anyone to hold against an American. Since no individual American can possibly satisfy the worlds demands on him/her, its a no-win situation and an unfair one at that.

Illustration:

Lets use an example of an American named "Bob Smith" from Alabama. Bob smith decides to tour the world, and here are some of the people he met:

Hanz, a German: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak German and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

Petra, the French lady: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak French and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

Igor, the Russian: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Russian and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans"

Joonas, the Finn: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Kalo Finnihs Romani and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

"

Herman the Dutch from Holland (strange that people from the Netherlands are called 'Dutch' which is a Deutsche derivative, but thats beside the point): "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Gronings, Drents, West Frisian or even Dutch and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

Levent, the Turk: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Turkish and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

Michelo, the Croatian: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Istro Romanian and doesn't know who my leaders are, yet I can speak English and know who Bush is. Stupid Americans."

Yeruti, the Lady from Paraguay: "Stupid Bob, the American cant speak Maskoy Pidgin, Maca, Guana, Chamacoco, Paraguayan Guaran

it's Ankara, and I've also heard the story reversed, a friend once dated a girl who lived in the states for sometime, the people she met asked her if we had mobilephones over here, and they also wanted to "teach" her how to put on makeup and manicure course they didn't think this had reached Europe yet. I don't know what this say about the american girls.

I'm NOT anit American I just hate Bush and his imperialistic ideas, I don't say that americans should know about all the European leaders or capitols, most of them wont even comeover here. Another thing is that many Europeans don't know the geografi of Europe.

As for the language well not all European speak english, I work in a company where I have contact to foreign companies allmost everyday and believe me not all of them speak english.

You like to catagorize people don't you?

If you live in another country for several years it is only fit that you at least learn a bit of their language. It's not all about you you know. Besides, most people can read and write English well enough, but don't use it to speak often. I can read German and French but if some French guy comes over here and asks me something, I probably wouldn't be of much help to him.

And not the whole world is against America you know- we're just against your moronic president.

Yes its Akrana.....but should have stayed constaninople.......if istanbul would have stayed constaninople that is....dam young turks..

Emp worm. That is not true in every place on earth....take austrailan for instence....They speak English we speak American...its close enough we get along.....Who is the prime minister of Austriala i ask you?

Who is the prime minister of Austriala i ask you

Why should I know? Why do I care? I dont know much about the Australian government (or even if they have a prime minister), and why should i? What is the capital of Nambia? Do you know? Who is the president of Azerbaijan? Does it really matter that you know this? To the people of Azerbaijan, it means a great deal that you and I know about them. Go to http://www.azembassy.com/ and see how important it is to those people that you should know ALL ABOUT THEM.

I choose a few countries on this planet that I am interested in, and I focus my energy on those countries. No single, limited human being has enough resources both physically and mentally to devote themselves to study all cultures and all political societies of the world. As long as SOMEONE is interested in Azerbaijan or Australian government, I wont worry about it much.

Don't think it's just yourself. I've seen all sorts of people been ignored because they don't speak the local language. There are records of such behavious from since at least the Persian wars, 2500 years ago.

However, it is true that the Americans are asked more to know others more. But this is because they interest themselves everywhere. The US is such a big country - its economy, trade, especially, meaning that it deals with everyone. And it is common courtesy to learn at least some of the language of those with whom you trade. I'm not saying every American should learn every language. But if you would go to Germany, speak German.

My country also has a bad record for failing to do this - certainly in part due to the not-unfounded belief that there are always some people in european countries who can speak English.

"Everyone wants a piece of the US"

Azerbaijan, for instance would like the US media, when considering it, to consider not only the oil and gas they want, but a slightly more holistic picture - to look at a country from the point of "What can the US get out of it" will inevitably cause misrepresentation.

Note also the global problem of selective reporting - there is never a news story saying "All's well in Azerbaijan". Hence, people only get the negativce views of other countries.

This is more the case for news that is for profit... which is why the BBC has one of the best news services in the world.

He, everyone is against te USoA ?

It might have sliped your mind that I'm one of the few people on this forum who excually likes Bush.

And isn't Catch 22 a film ?

And you'r indead not the only one with that problem, so chill out. I can read German, but somehow it really sounds stupid when I try to speak it. [ I'm currently located just 5 kilometers from the German border ] If I'm there I just try my best and they don't care.

Liege is just some miles further then the German border, but when I'm there [ I can speak better Frensh then German, way better ;) ] they notice you'r not from there and in most occasions that gives you a lot of weird faces.

Ones I was in the Londen subway, speaking Dutch to the guy I was with until I heard a woman standing almost next to me say "stupid Germans".

But as a contradiction, in Amsterdam people who meet me often start talking in English because they think I'm Brittish.

And the best memory of that which I have .... sitting at a club, somewhere at a table in the back, trying to make sence of a conversation with a Arabic girl just by speaking Frensh and English.

Most of the time whe didn't have a clue what we where saying, but then we didn't care.

So what I'm trying to say.. . .don't get pissed of about this. It isn't worth it. A lot of people ignore others because the are different in ... whatever. Just be polite to the other and he usually helps you out. But don't start mokking into yourself about this, it's not worth it.

Just live your live and have some fun. Life's to short allready to bother about these things.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL

instead of starting racially-motivated discussions about who's stupider, enlightened people such as myself will relish in the fact that almost *everyone* is a dumbass

94% of people have an IQ below average

face reality: most people are idiots, don't matter what race you are. if you are an average person, chances are, you are a complete idiot

That hilarious Navaros. The IQ is the average. So an IQ of 100 is the average IQ. It's adjusted for age and through time. Given the fact that your IQ is 100 that doesn't mean your smart. Just that you'r just as smart as the avarage persone who is been tested with the same kind as IQ test as you have been.

Besides that, IQ test are not for intelligence.

hmm.... when you say 94% of all people have an IQ below average, it says more about you than the people who have an IQ "below" average.

ok I'm done with the language posting as I think we have reached something. Now not so long ago the Russian wanted to enter Georgia to get rid of some terrorist which the claimed was in the area, Bush said no.

Now we see the Israeli are sieging Ramalla because they claim Arafat is a terrorist but Bush condems (or does he) it.

now Bush and Blair wants to enter Iraq, the UN haven't set go yet but Bush and Blair doesn't care, hypochrasy if you ask me.

Personally I don't favor Saddam but I don't think there should be any reason to keep the UN if it's just an organ without any real power, who would have any interrest in that?

I do believe that Saddam have B and C weapons maybe soon even A weapons too and yes I would support a military action against him IF the UN supports it.

Let's lighten up the mood! ;D

I found this a loooong time ago on the net... can't remember where...

No offense to any Americans, of course. Just for fun. :)

ok Edric can i have my World Histroy book back plz?

I need it to study for a test this week ;D :P ;D