Graphics glitch

I thought DirectX8 came on the Emperor Install CD and was installed before the game was!! Well if my version of DirectX isn't up to date, where can I get the latest version? :-

You are right, directx 8.0 came with EBFD. But since you're experiencing problems, I'd suggest to upgrade to 8.1 (especially with the new hardware).

why dont you try swapping the current video card with the voodoo.

1. I don't know how.

2. Wouldn't that bring the performance of Emperor on my Athlon down?

3. I had to adjust the graphics acceleration on the old computer just to get Emperor to run, and I'm not sure whether that was due to the old Voodoo II.

Well ok, doesn't look like I have much choice. Any idea when there will be new display drivers for my graphics card? :-

I would say check Nvidias website for games with known problems, but I just checked and found nothing. I think you need to contact Nvidia or the manufacturer of your video card and let them know about the problem. If you are the only one having this problem I doubt it has anything to do with the Nvidia drivers. I have not seen your specific problem before. You said you did a reformat and a complete reinstall. Did this reinstall include updating your chipset drivers (Via, Intel, etc) ? If you have then I am leaning towards a hardware problem. Do other 3D games on this system exhibit the same behavior? If so then I would say send the video card back if you still fall within the warranty period and get a replacement card. Unfortunately problems like this require you to do some research to resolve. The easiest test would be to try another video card like aox0m0xoa suggested (i.e. the old Voodoo card). If the problem goes away, then that eliminates the motherboard chipset as the problem (unless the old video card was PCI and the new one is AGP, in that case you really need to swap with a different AGP). Eliminating the chipset is an important first step I think. Good luck with your research and let us know your findings. :)

You said you did a reformat and a complete reinstall. Did this reinstall include updating your chipset drivers (Via, Intel, etc) ? If you have then I am leaning towards a hardware problem.

The reinstall did not include updating the chipset drivers, frankly I don't even know what chipset drivers are or where to get them or update them. :- :-[

Do other 3D games on this system exhibit the same behavior?

No, this is the first time I've encountered a problem like this, and no other 3-D games exhibit the same behaviour.

Unfortunately problems like this require you to do some research to resolve. The easiest test would be to try another video card like aox0m0xoa suggested (i.e. the old Voodoo card). If the problem goes away, then that eliminates the motherboard chipset as the problem (unless the old video card was PCI and the new one is AGP, in that case you really need to swap with a different AGP). Eliminating the chipset is an important first step I think. Good luck with your research and let us know your findings. :)

Getting a little technical (sorry I know very little about hardware mumbo-jumbo ???). I don't know how to transfer video cards. My motherboard is a K7S5A type motherboard, the motherboard on the Pentium II is a different one.

You said you did a reformat and a complete reinstall. Did this reinstall include updating your chipset drivers (Via, Intel, etc) ? If you have then I am leaning towards a hardware problem.

The reinstall did not include updating the chipset drivers, frankly I don't even know what chipset drivers are or where to get them or update them. :- :-[

Do other 3D games on this system exhibit the same behavior?

No, this is the first time I've encountered a problem like this, and no other 3-D games exhibit the same behaviour.

In your last post you mentioned that you have a K7S5A which is made by ECS. I looked around the ECS site and found this link:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/driver_vga_m.htm#sis630730_208

Go to that link and do a find in your web browser on "K7S5A". They have an SIS AGP driver (version 1.10) for your chipset that is dated 2002/06/20. I would suggest you download (for the correct OS) and install this driver since it is related to video performance issues. This could very well be the problem.

In your last post you mentioned that you have a K7S5A which is made by ECS. I looked around the ECS site and found this link:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/driver_vga_m.htm#sis630730_208

Go to that link and do a find in your web browser on "K7S5A". They have an SIS AGP driver (version 1.10) for your chipset that is dated 2002/06/20. I would suggest you download (for the correct OS) and install this driver since it is related to video performance issues. This could very well be the problem.

I noticed that the zip file contains no instructions on how to install the driver. To install the driver you have to unzip the file to an empty directory. There should be an .inf file called "sisagp.inf", right click on that file and select the "install" menu option that pops up. Hope this fixes your problem.

Where would I be without the help of #6 ;D

Feels like old times on the old Westwood forum :)

It's amazing the problems that people have been having with this game.

I guess Ixian's problem is really minor in that he can still play. I know

the graphics glitch he mentions would drive me crazy also.