Any advice or tips for the last mission?

Brutus

I just got to the last mission as Atreides. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I accidentaly (sp?) discovered the harkonnen (what ae they doing there? I just destroyed them! >:( ) base while scouting, so they attacked me even before i had trained anything except scouts. I think i can handle it but it makes things a little bit more difficult. Anyway, does anyone have any good strategies, tips or advices for that mission? :)

When you start out, be careful not to come to near to the Harkonnen base on the left. If you do, you'll be rushed with a large force. They will still eventually rush you, but you should have ample time to get some defences in place (Fedaykin, Kindjal Infantry, turrets, etc.) In a nutshell, to win, all you have to do is build a force of 6 advanced carryalls and 6 sonic tanks. Take them down the left side of the map (as close to the edge as you possibly can), and fly down to the rear of the worm. Now fly to the head of the worm, set the units down, and attack. That's basically all there is to it. ::)

K, thanks for the tip. :) But is the NIAP flyers (sp?) really something to bother about? Ca they do real damage? And should i bother trying to capture the guild base and megacannon? Also, will the harkonnen launch death hand missilies?

No, the Harkonnen don't have a Palace. Neither do the Ordos.

NIAP flyers have NO weapons whatsoever. They're just for decoration.

What you should really worry about is the Mega Cannon. Capture it or destroy it...

I completed the mission in a different way: I just build a huge amount of Fedaykin and sent them to the Emperor Worm, making sure they don't get discovered on the way.

And one more thing: You were wondering what are the Harkonnen doing there, since you've just destroyed them on Giedi Prime. Well, those aren't really the Harkonnen. It's the Guild using their technology and units that they have abandoned on Arrakis.

Yes but what you should remember about the Mega Cannon is that capturing or destroying it will IMMEDIATELY set off a timer (I think it was 15 minutes). So unless you are prepared to attack the Emperor Worm right away, I wouldn't do anything to the Mega Cannon. At least not until I was ready. Using the strategy that I mentioned just before, my Sonic Tanks took out the Emperor Worm so fast that the Mega Cannon didn't really do much damage to them. However if the Mega Cannon starts attacking your base, then you should do something about it quickly.

Oh, thanks for the warning. :)

Also, as of now i have got three reinforcements. Will there be more, and if so, do they keep coming once in a while, or is there a limit on how many you get? (those smuggler quads saved my day! and that projecter too)

Will the guild cannon attack me if i dont do anything with it, just move my forces around it? Thanks for any answers (and for those already given) :)

Capture the Guild Cannon. Destroying it is far too hard. Trying to destroy the other bases is far too hard. To succeed, just defend your base, capture the Guild Cannon, and attack the Worm with only Fedaykin (12 should be more than enough) You *must* capture the Guild Cannon before you attack the Worm or it will not work.

Couldnt i just capture the mega cannon and use it against the worm, then?

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I just finished the mission, really cool ending movie :)

I was in the process of shuttling minotaurs and sonic tanks over (keeping them in the air, it takes a bit of micromanaging to keep them from landing, but it went ok) when a countdown on 30 minutes started (i am slow, i makes sure that my base is properly and very well defended before i go on the offensive :-[ ;) :) ) so i just built some more tanks and advanced carryalls, and sent a few more over. While some where on their way some guild tanks (NIAB?) teleported in, so i just landed what i had and attacked. I managed to get two infiltrators and a few frement through to the worm too, which helped a bit. Anyway, the worm went down fast and got destroyed before the guild could destroy my forces, so it all ended well. :) I dint try to capture the mega cannon, since there were so many living turrets around. The only carryall i sent over got shot down pretty quick, so i didnt try with more carryalls.

I think i will have a pause now and then maybe start on the Harkonnen campaing (sp?), or maybe try Kwisatz Haderach :)

For any further reference if anyone else needs it, I found it easiest to build up defences as much as possible, not attacking or scouting at all. Then I send some engineers in apcs in Adv Carryalls to a spot about 5 squares southeast of my base, then fly them straight for the guild cannon, without stopping. Once captured, I will get rid of it, and use the same carryall method (same starting spot to avoid turrets) to go all the way to the worm, with some minos and sonics. Once there, the forces won't be molested by enemies.

Also for future reference, never try to use the Mega Cannon against the worm. It barely does any damage to it, and it's just too hard to protect the cannon long enough.

And don't forget about the Ordos campaign, Brutus. ;)

Capture the Guild Cannon. Destroying it is far too hard. Trying to destroy the other bases is far too hard.

If you can capture the Guild Cannon, you can destroy it. 4-6 ornithopters will do the job nicely. This is assuming you used an engineer drop via Advanced Carryall to capture it. If you could get engineers there, then destroying it will be even easier. The anti-aircraft defences there are non-existant, and once you get past the Tleilaxu living turrets, you should have no problem destroying it with aircraft. If you're talking about getting ground troops there without using Advanced Carryalls, then it is hard.

Capture the Guild Cannon. Destroying it is far too hard. Trying to destroy the other bases is far too hard.

The quesiton is: How to get past the living turrets. They are really good against aircraft, and there is lots of them. Anyway, wouldnt it work nicely just capturing it and then selling it too? :)

If you can capture the Guild Cannon, you can destroy it. 4-6 ornithopters will do the job nicely. This is assuming you used an engineer drop via Advanced Carryall to capture it. If you could get engineers there, then destroying it will be even easier. The anti-aircraft defences there are non-existant, and once you get past the Tleilaxu living turrets, you should have no problem destroying it with aircraft. If you're talking about getting ground troops there without using Advanced Carryalls, then it is hard.

The quesiton is: How to get past the living turrets. They are really good against aircraft, and there is lots of them. Anyway, wouldnt it work nicely just capturing thr guild cannon and then selling it? :)

You mean the Tleilaxu mission, Brutus? That's easy: Just build Dust Scouts. Lots and lots of them. They're great for shooting leeches off each other and for killing any Tleilaxu unit.

Yeah, i saw that in another thread. (how to deal with mass leach attacks). I will try to remember it if am going to play that mission again :) (right now i am busy with the Harkonnen campaing (sp?). :)

kwisatz haderach looks cool, but i think it lacks normal units, like normal Emperor (not a single normal combat tank!) (not complaining, but i dont like playing with units that is very special/have to be used in a very spesific way. (besides, Atreides is my favourite house ;)I wish you had removed Ordos instead :P ;) :) ). I will probably try it sooner or later, though (I have it innstalled). :)

I think i will have a pause now and then maybe start on the Harkonnen campaing (sp?), or maybe try Kwisatz Haderach :)

you could also try to play in multiplayer, its free!! ;D you'll probebly like it and there are lots of newbs. on too ::)

there are some links under my reply, those threads have nice tips for multiplayer ;)

you could also try to play in multiplayer, its free!! ;D you'll probebly like it and there are lots of newbs. on too ::)

there are some links under my reply, those threads have nice tips for multiplayer ;)

Nah, i suck to hard in "real" combat :) (the only few RTS games i have played have been in LAN and only with a few friends) I think i will stick to singleplayer for the time being ;) :)

(Yes, i saw those threads and read some of them)

I would :) But none of my friends have emperor :(

And as said, i am busy enough with singleplayer and other things now, i dont think i will go online anytime soon. For multiplayer i prefer FPS games (like Renegade) :)

The quesiton is: How to get past the living turrets. They are really good against aircraft, and there is lots of them. Anyway, wouldnt it work nicely just capturing thr guild cannon and then selling it? :)

There may be many living turrets, but they are not that good against aircraft.

1. They turn really slowly like all turrets.

2. They take some time to reload.

Just rush straight past them with aircraft. You might lose 1 or 2, but in most cases you can just rush straight past them without losing any aircraft, although they do get damaged a little.

However if you can capture the Guild Cannon and then sell it, that will probably work nicely as well.

Ah, ok. Anyway, i guess it will be some time to next time i play that mission. (well into the Harkonnen camapign and the sivil war now. Sided with Gunseng. BTW, do you know if he will use Death Hands against me?)