Scattering

Alexander_Ordos

The Scattering is a large historical event in past God Emperor times. But what's it exactly? And The Famine times? I think that Scattering was some kind of evacuation from something dangerous to the space beyond the known universe, but that's just mine opinion. Anyone knows what is The Scattering exactly?

I believe the Scattering was a result of the reality that the God Emperor would remain emperor for thousands of years. Leto ensured peace through his Fremen and later his Fish Speakers. Also his prescience ensured that he knew just about everything that was occuring. I believe that many of the powerful houses 'scattered' into the universe because Leto as emperor ensured that no one would be able to gain more power through any means. The only response to this was to flee into uncharted space.

I think it was this. Leto kept humans cooped up, and then upon his death they realized they were free. They ran, and took off for uncharted space. The Famine Times, probably when food became scarce, especially upon Arrakis with the new Sandtrout.

I think Leto was last Emperor. After him there was no ancestor, so whole civilisation has fallen into anarchy and famine was just a result. Also Leto usurped and centralized all power to himself, so after 3500 years mankind forgot how to reign itself. Here you can see little point to communist reigns, after Leto they just didn't know how to rule millions of worlds unitely.

The Scattering was what Leto II desperately tried to bring about. In the end he was successful.

Leto II wanted the Scattering to happen, so he made sure people also WANTED the Scattering. He locked everyone on their own planets so they really really wanted to LEAVE. When he died, everyone went "Yay, we're free! Let's get the hell outta here!" Voila, the Scattering.

The best way to make someone want something is to forbid him/her to do that something. That's what Leto II did...

What was it . .?

"people want what they can't get. That what lays just beyond there grasp. So I prohibit the right for them to travel, so inevetabely, to travel means freedom."

Well, something like that. . .

Maybe it is simplist (not, not maybe, it is)....

But, adding to the fact that leto emprisoned ppl on their planets, a curiosity factor....

I mean, looking what is outside their owbn planet.

But knowing that there is a population that lived in the outer limit of the imperium (honored matres, is that how it is spelled in english?) could make them curious about that can happen and they can see outside.

Of course, it's really "unique people" orientend, myself, I would more say that the reason gryphon said is better :D

Just a small comment, the HM didn't came from the edge of the Known Univers. They came from behind the edge. :)

Didn't the scattering started when Leto II was still alive ?

People started to move away, tried to get out of the grasp of his region. ...

Although no-one knew what Leto II could see, and he had some planets populated himself beyond the "known space" for most poeple.

But still he let some of the people get away.

And the entire plan [ Golden Path, but then mayby his Golden Path was just a part of his entire plan ] of Leto II consisted of much more then just the scattering.

He manipulated [ and adjusted ] humanity in such a intense way that, . .well you all know how far the God Emperor when with his plan.

:)

The origional title is "Nineteen eighty-four". The same .. . :)2+2=5, one of the questions Winston Smith has to answer in room 101. It had something do do with the number of Fingers O'Brien showed him .. Do you remember that !

So far...

1. The Famine Times - something when people loose their ruler and descend into anarchy...

2. The Scattering - Leto II's "prisoners" escaped into space beyond the known universe of the old imperium. There, they started the whole knew civilization and Honoured Matres originated from that uknown civilization.

Fair enough, but I still can't get the right answer...

There, they started the whole knew civilization and Honoured Matres originated from that uknown civilization.

That's not mentioned in the books is it ?

The people from the scattering just disapear. A few where heard of but mostly they didn't return nor did they know what happend to them.

And as far as the HM. Nothing of there origion [ or connection to the people of the scattering ] is known. Just speculation.

still, I personnally find it really hard to not make some links between the scattered and the HM.

Not saying they are the same, but at least that the HM are a driect cause of teh scattering.

Imagine how it would be easy to make an empire (every at far distances) from the houses that are scattered. They surelly needed a ruler, thus an empire to survive.