Bene Gesserit

Gunseng_Harkonnen

At first I did not like them. The final two books though were where they really became good. They learned their lesson and try never to have another Kwisatz Haderach, and they must face the Honored Matres, a more evil version of themselves in order to save the Human race. We also see more into their politics in Heretics and Chapterhouse, as well as how much power they have after the initial Scattering. Another thing to note is that they fear any use of prescience, also linked to their fear of a Kwisatz Haderach. In all, I would say the Bene Gesserit are my favorite group in the Dune books.

I always saw the BG as possibly the most powerful force in the Dune Universe. But as you say, it wasn't until the last two books that they really came into thier own. There are only about three or four characters in the whole Dune series that I can really say I personally liked, but when it comes to power, the BG is so attractive. Not to mention the sex... :D

Dune could never be pt into one paragraph and really make sense. It's one of those things that has to be taken all, or nothing. Buy or loan from your local library the original Dune by Frank Herbert. Read it. Then talk about it here ;)

I dont think the bene gesserit are. They could have been the most powerful if they had a flexable massiah. Didnt work though and it failed. The most powerful I would say is the spacing guild.

Contrary to my character, I love the Bene Gesserit. I think that their training is really cool, and I think that, if they really wanted to, they could take over the Imperium. But they would rather be devious and less sutle. I would just like to prove their powers by refering to the first book, in which Jessica kicks the crap out of Stilgar, who was supposedly the strongest Fremen of them all.

Alia

I respect the Bene Gessert but I do not like them. My dislike for them is because of what they represent both the obivious and that which is not so obivious. As for them being powerful that is without question but in my eyes the Bene Gessert are foolish to an extent. As I said before I do respect them.

Foolish? Perhaps at first... But they seem to learn their lesson eventually (although personally I like them as plotting witches or witches trying to smash Honoured Matres). At representing the not-so-obvious... that's being 'subtle.' A wonderful thing if you can do it right. (It can, in certain cases, lead to backstabbing. Which shows self-preservation, or more specifically, preservation of the sisterhood.)

And whether you like them or not, it is a good idea to have respect for friends and enemies, so well done quondam72.

Maybe you misunderstood what stance I was taking so I am not sure what you ment by your post Dustscout. I know what subtle means I did not have a misunderstanding of that I just did not use words to state subtlety. The Bene Gesserit remain to be foolish which shows in how the Honored Mates start to hunt & destroy them before mergering with them. I would be hard presses to side with the Bene Gesserit I agree with the actions of Leto II and his father (Maud'dib) before him in there actions and treatment of them. The only thing remotely appealing about the Bene Gesserit are their 'special powers' take that from them and they are nothing but anicent history. The Bene Gesserit are alot more than what they seem to be and I chose not to be blinded by what they appear to be. There is not place for 'certains ones' within the Bene Gesserit this I understand. :-X

That is true Ordos45 but I think the Honored Mates are specifically targeting the Bene Gesserit (if I am not mistaken, correct me if I am). I have not read Dune ChapterHouse in quite some time but I think (again I could be wrong) the Bene Gesserit somehow gave birth to the Honored Mates (Bene Gesserit missionaries?). The Honored Mates are in a way an obscure sect of the Bene Gesserit that gain power and challenge the original order part of the basis of Dune Chapterhouse.

Wow, you summarized most of the book in a paragraph. Reverend Mothers and Fish Speakers in extremis formed them. They did come back to challenge and hunt the original Bene Gesserit, but they also came back because they, the hunters, had become the hunted. They were being persued by the Ones of Many Faces, Face Dancers not under the control of the Tleilaxu.

!Slight Chroncile Spoiler!Not only the Facedancers but also I think the Furturs (not correct spelling maybe) who were some sort of genetic experiment with human and animal hybrids. Dune Chapterhouse is interesting (to me) it shows just how weak the Bene Gesserit really are when dealing with an adversary they can not control. I mean cause persoanally they did not win against the Honored Mates(IMO) we (the readers) really have yet to see a victory it was more like a stalemate.