A wonderful surprise!

Edric O

I know I haven't posted in about two months, and some of you may be wondering why I've taken such an extended leave of absence (of course, it's not as if I post very often anyway, but this was a particularly long period of silence). Well, it's because of the really wonderful and surprising news I received from my fiancée back in January: we're going to have twins! That's right, by the end of the year there will be two new little Edrics in the universe. Which means they should probably be reading Dune three or four years from now. :)

As you can imagine, this has also put a bit more pressure on us to get the wedding preparations done quickly... and it also means that I won't be able to increase my posting frequency for the forseeable future.

Edit: Just to clarify, this was an April Fools joke. And a pretty successful one, if I do say so myself. I thought that the traditional "I'm getting married" joke wouldn't cut it any more, so I decided to take it up a notch. Besides, I actually AM getting married this summer. But neither of us is pregnant.

(Oh, and the actual reason why I haven't posted for a couple of months is much more mundane: work...)

Edited by Edric O
April Fools!
  • Upvote 2

2 more commies to vote for obama! ;)

Congrats and I completely forgot about the date.

Ah, yes, speaking of the date... Well, thank you for the congratulations, everyone! Of course, you should probably know that in my current time zone, it was April 1, 2013 when I posted that. :p

I'm afraid I'm too new a guy here to understand all those marriage and children April's fool jokes.

I understand that this is some kind of tradition that goes back to the beginnings of the forums (I guess), but seriously, how much comedy potential does marriage and family planning actually have? I mean, how unrealistic or improbable is it to get married? Or to have twins? Or is it that the modern society has gone so far that a young married couple with children is no longer regarded as norm, but as an exception to point fingers at?

Sorry about being a buzzkill here, just my two cents...

I'm afraid I'm too new a guy here to understand all those marriage and children April's fool jokes.

I understand that this is some kind of tradition that goes back to the beginnings of the forums (I guess), but seriously, how much comedy potential does marriage and family planning actually have? I mean, how unrealistic or improbable is it to get married? Or to have twins? Or is it that the modern society has gone so far that a young married couple with children is no longer regarded as norm, but as an exception to point fingers at?

Well back when the forums started everyone was much younger so getting married was a lot less likely. :) EdricO just one-upped the original joke.

Well, as Gob said, there is this tradition of making April Fools jokes about getting married, which started a long time ago when most of us were teenagers (and therefore highly unlikely to get married, so that the news of marriage would be shocking). I think Mahdi was the one who invented the marriage joke, about ten years ago.

Now, of course, we are all old enough to actually get married, and a few of us are in fact married (or soon-to-be-married, as in my case). So the old marriage joke isn't shocking any more. So I decided to go to the next level and joke about having children. I expect that after another ten years, that won't be unusual any more either, so we'll have to think of something new.

But since you mentioned it, it's also true that the average marriage age is a lot higher than it used to be in previous generations, and still going up (the numbers in the link are for the U.S. only, but the trend is roughly the same all across the developed world).

haha, good one! still, congrats on getting married. if you'll be home this winter i'd love to have a beer with you ;)
As a matter of fact, I will be home this winter! We just need to set up a time and place, then. :)

But since you mentioned it, it's also true that the average marriage age is a lot higher than it used to be in previous generations, and still going up (the numbers in the link are for the U.S. only, but the trend is roughly the same all across the developed world).
That's some interesting statistics (although I'm afraid unsurprising), thanks!

BTW, I think that the probability of getting identical twins isn't very low either. Identical triplets are much less likely, but a mix of mono- and polyzygotic twins in a multiple birth is generally not uncommon.

High orders of multiple births (three or more offspring in one birth) may result in a combination of fraternal (genetically different) and identical (genetically identical) siblings. The latter are also called super twins. For example, a set of triplets may consist of two identical siblings and one fraternal sibling.
I like the term super twins, sounds really cool ^_^

It is interesting that the median age of first marriage for men in the late 19th century was almost as high as today, then it went down a lot in the 20th century, and in recent decades it has climbed back up...

According to that table I linked, it was only in 1990 that men went back to getting married as late as they did in 1890.