Well, I thought I am the only one..

jamie

Usually the .mis file stores that.
Yeah tileset info is in the mis file.

What about skirmish maps? So if you adding new maps to game, you need patch exe or mis files? :)

reverse engineering??

Yea. When you writing program you're engineering. When you trying to understand how it was done — you're doing reverse engineering.

more info.

I think that for skirmish maps the game reads the tileset from the .map file, not 100% sure though.

To add new maps you need to copy the map file i the maps folder and then create an entry in text.uib with the map name. This can be done with Shai-Hulud or manually with the String Table Editor. Please have a look at my video tutorials for activating with SH. I'll add one with manual activating soon.

I think that for skirmish maps the game reads the tileset from the .map file, not 100% sure though.

I am reading tile info from original .map files, and I can say that they are not contain info about used tileset.

While was playing with passability, I realized that just changing tint color of sprites makes it possible to add 'night' mode to the game. Hehe.

post-19735-0-12570000-1364653269_thumb.p

It's just need to add light sources to units and buildings. This is not a problem I think.

• Upvote 3

You could have stormy weather too, with sand storms obscuring vision and damaging units out on the sand.

To have a good visuals for such complex weather effects, I need to have normal maps for every game sprite. It's a huge amount of work. But I am mad enough to do that.

athanasiosathanasios, I am changing tiles color in realtime.

To have a better understanding of how it looks like, check out this vid: 

http://youtu.be/DRyOvqkJx8Y

• Upvote 5

To have a good visuals for such complex weather effects, I need to have normal maps for every game sprite. It's a huge amount of work. But I am mad enough to do that.

athanasiosathanasios, I am changing tiles color in realtime.

To have a better understanding of how it looks like, check out this vid: 

http://youtu.be/DRyOvqkJx8Y

I was imagining more of a layering effect, normal maps might be a bit overkill ;-)

Oacm2iZ.jpg

• Upvote 4

Nice, also you should see if you can add support for really big maps like 258x512.

Maps definitely should be big. Because when playing with 800*600 as displaying resolution, you can feel that "8PLAY6.MAP" (which I am using for tests) is looked like it was designed for 1 vs. 1 battles.

I was imagining more of a layering effect, normal maps might be a bit overkill ;-)

Oacm2iZ.jpg

This effect looks good, however I had ideas about normals maps (and effects that can be achieved with it) in early 2011. It's definitely worth to try. But of course for early beginning of my project simple overlays/effects will be enough.

• 4 weeks later...