Dune 2000:the era of war

THE AQIB

In some games you see missile tanks and rocket tanks, where the missile tanks are better against infantry and vehicles. The rocket tanks are better for dealing with tanks. Both are also often anti air, where the missile tanks finish the fast and weak air units because the missiles are fast enough. The rocket tanks have slower missiles to deal with the heavy and slow air units. C&C dawn has the best examples, MRLS (missile) and ReconBike/Stealth Tank (rocket)

Many people forget that there is actually a difference between missile and rocket.

Here's something that I have been missing in all RTS games. Perhaps you will be the first one to use it:

Now get both a missile soldier and a rocket soldier in your game. Thank you. :)

I saw u gt your own unit list but u didnt give much details about them. I wanna ask you: is your list balanced at least in theory? Bare in mind that all the stuff must be balanced at least in theory to be of any use :) to see this do what i did in my list: compare them, think about posible tactics for each house, see if a tank is not too overpowered or make sure that the player can counter a specific tank without to need to get the most advanced technology from the tech tree.

I agree, rocket soldiers are a must have for any C&C / Dune game. I actually think that the idea to have a rocket soldier and a missile soldier could be interesting :D

If in terms of damage. From anti Infantry to anti tank:

Rifle, Grenade, Missile, Rocket, Cannon

Please post all details, also such as how much health, damage etc. Let us know the very precise variables. :)

And the first step for balancing units, is making a table of classes. 1 side, Infantry, vehicles, tanks. The other side, anti Infantry, anti vehicle, anti tank. Some units might overlap 2 spots with weaponry.

I am sure you have taken a look at some stuff I posted in my board game thread. It is for 60% the same as any RTS.

Regarding your story line.

If it's your first, keep it in 1 piece. Branched is a bit harder and should only be applied if it influences the game play as well ;). Like a choice in mission gives you an unit as reward and/or an ally in another mission. But it's your choice.

Nope it's not a joke - in English rocket may mean missile - though the term rocket is broader than missile (check it in any dictionary you want - there are plenty of dictionaries online).

So this:

"If in terms of damage. From anti Infantry to anti tank:

Rifle, Grenade, Missile, Rocket, Cannon"

doesn't really make sense unless u define the difference u find between missile in rocket - otherwise people will assume rocket=missile - which doesn't make sense in this statement.

Rather confusing point we have here.

• A powered, guided munition that travels through the air or space is known as a missile (or guided missile.)
  • A powered, unguided munition is known as a rocket.

Says so, wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile

So 2 different wiki pages are saying different things?
Let's continue reading:
Missiles are powered by an engine, generally either a type of rocket or jet engine. Rockets are generally of the solid fuel type for ease of maintenance and fast deployment, although some larger ballistic missiles use liquid fuel rockets. Jet engines are generally used in cruise missiles, most commonly of the turbojet type, due to its relative simplicity and low frontal area.

So you could say that missiles can be rockets. That is partly true, the rocket is only a part then.

Now search ballista on wiki and become even more confused.
The ballista (Latin, from Greek βαλλίστρα - ballistra[1] and that from - βάλλω ballō, "throw"),[2] plural ballistae, was an ancient missile weapon which launched a large projectile at a distant target.

Summary:
Missiles can be rockets, and are always used as weapon.
Rockets can be missiles, but can also be used as transportation.

Edit:

The small list of 5 weapons: In most games it's in that order. Not necessarily always.

Edit2:

Missiles have more steps of travelling, energy etc. While the rocket just comes in. If the cannon can be dodged by infantry, so can the rocket. I think they where thinking in that direction. Further more, the missiles seemed to do more splash as well in most games, while the rocket was at one target.

Got the difference I think. But what fo u mean by this:

"Missiles have more steps of travelling, energy etc. While the rocket just comes in."

P.S. Your main point is that rockets are unguided while missile are (at elast contemporary missiles) right? - just asking to be sure there's no misunderstanding.

Can u give some example: like in battle for dune the mongoose missiles are guided - so they are considered missiles right? So what's considered a rocket there - the super weapon of the Harkonnen?

• Upvote 1

A rocket is straight to the point. It gets launched and then it's just going to where it goes. During launch and during travel, it has always the same energy output. It mostly travels in a "straight" line. When it hits, the remaining fuel helps in the destroying, but it is just BOOM! So 1 type of stage, the "it goes there".

A missile gets guided during the launch, calculations are used as well by computer of before hand. the first amount energy is decided by where the missile has to land, and how it will land, sideways or on top. Then during the travel, this is done again, and this is also the stage where the missile can be steered as well, by computer and sensing equipments.

Hmmm, in EBFD, I think they all are missiles by category. Even the Harkonnen trooper rocket is guided, right? The atomic bomb is a ballistic missile. Perhaps the Kindjal Infantry? IDK.

In Dune2000;

Trooper has rockets (do not steer)

Quad has rockets (do not steer)

Missile Tank has Missiles (you see them steer and are a bit more effective against infantry (due to a lot of damage in general if you ask me))

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Dune_2000_%28units%29

It also says Dead Hand Missile and Missile Turrets.

Dune2000 is a very good example in these differences. And tech level logic also says that a Missile comes in a later stage then the Rocket. :)

Edit:

So THE AQIB if you name a tank, missile tank, it hits it's targets. If it's called rocket tank, make the rockets unguided and have a chance of missing.

Ehmmmm....

Dune 2; Missile Tank, misses. Rocket turret has actually hitting on target.

Odd..

Ok I got the difference. As for why

"The ballista (Latin, from Greek βαλλίστρα - ballistra[1] and that from - βάλλω ballō, "throw"),[2] plural ballistae, was an ancient missile weapon which launched a large projectile at a distant target." - it is because

"In a modern military, a missile is a self-propelled guided weapon system." - check the "in a modern military" part - before that missiles seems to have had the same meaning as rocket (as well as other meanings - :laugh: ) "An ordinary English-language usage predating guided weapons is simply any thrown
object, such as items thrown at players by rowdy spectators at a sporting event." So I guess this is the reason there's some kind of misunderstanding (even in dicitonaries- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/missile) - I mean obvioulsy missile still retains some of its old meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder-launched_missile_weapon - "A shoulder-fired missile, shoulder-launched missile or man-portable missile is a projectile fired at a target, small enough to be carried by a single person, and fired while held on one's shoulder. The word missile in this context is used in its original broad sense which encompasses all guided missiles and unguided rockets.". So I think this is the reason the missile tank from dune2 misses - u can talk about guided and unguided missiles using missile, while rocket seems to be used only for unguided (or for the "transportation" mean - rocket - which ironically is better guided than any guided missile lol :laugh: ). A lot of confusion with these terms - reminds u of something? :laugh:

It reminds me a lot of that other .... thread. :)

So would it be safe to say that the word missile has changed its meaning over the years?

Or is it so that it has a double meaning these days?

I think I have figured it out now.

According to history books, the archer shoots arrows, which are missiles.

Then according to this rockets are missiles, not missiles are the only rockets.

A type of rocket called missiles: Are guided rockets, not guided rockets are the only missiles.

It's like, Fire! and Fire!

1 way you warn for a fire spreading out. The other way you order to fire the guns.

What if a fire fighter yells Fire!? Did he find a fire that has to be put out? Or is he ordering to fire the water-gun?

Meanwhile in the BAT-cave, Robin checking the guided and unguided rockets. When suddenly the Joker attacks...

Batman: "Fire the missiles!"

Robin: "Which one?"

Batman: "All of them!"

Robin: "Be clear, all of the rockets or all the missiles?"

• Upvote 1

lol.... i also wanted to ask wht should be the resolution sizes for the game and wht abt widescreen??? what should i do about tht... best if you guys posted standard screen sizes to implement in the game... also forum at my site is up and running...

lol.... i also wanted to ask wht should be the resolution sizes for the game and wht abt widescreen??? what should i do about tht... best if you guys posted standard screen sizes to implement in the game... also forum at my site is up and running...

It's not up to us to tell u what resolution u should use - that would be retarded. Your game should check the resolutions available to the vga and screen and present them as options.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_display_resolutions

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/108386-25-what-resolution-gam

Basically ur game needs to get all the possible resolutions and depth for the system and present them as available options in settings. It's up to the player to choose hat resolution he'll use - it's not that it is impossible to make a game with a fixed resolution but it's really bad practice.