Dune 2000:the era of war

THE AQIB

That picture is my best. I know my limits.

It has more of a dune2 feeling if you ask me :D Not suitable for dune2k.

If it comes to 3D modelling (I did try that in the UT editor 2) it looks like wooden building blocks.

My pictures are flat, simple and sharp, no shades, yet can have detail. Even dune2 has some "3d" in the pictures.

And it's just a step in between.

However, if you want this picture to use, I also got the body and the turret separate if you like.

And creating soldiers is for me a big NONO. Since they look like circles anyway.

@Quiet Snow: Nice asm - never got to this level - I mean I use pretty high-level languages - basic/C++. But I don't think you should consider the projetc a "miracle" - I mean it's nothing really that much - so I'd say it's feasible if the guy has the motivation required to learn and try making it.

@X3M: Btw it's not really as hard as u think - I mean making a program with tanks running around - here's a code I wrote in Blitz3D(though I haven't touched that thing in almost 2 years) in 15m:

Graphics3D 1024,768,0,1SetBuffer BackBuffer()SeedRnd 8Local playerLocal speed#=.3Local light_rot=1Type tankField objEnd Typecam=CreateCamera()MoveEntity cam,0,30,0player=campiv=CreatePivot()light1=CreateLight(1,piv)MoveEntity light1,50,0,0AmbientLight 50,50,50 light2=CreateLight()LightColor light2,255,0,0terrain=LoadTerrain( "media/height_map.bmp" )MoveEntity terrain,-128,0,-128TerrainDetail terrain,16000,TrueScaleEntity terrain,1,50,1grass_tex=LoadTexture( "media/mossyground.bmp" )EntityTexture terrain,grass_tex,0,1TerrainShading terrain,1EntityType terrain,2; Load meshgtank=LoadMesh("media/warrior.3ds")ScaleEntity gtank,.3,.3,.3For k=1 To 10t.tank=New tankt\obj=CopyEntity(gtank)PositionEntity t\obj,Rand(-128,128),60,Rand(-128,128)TurnEntity t\obj,0,Rand(180),0EntityType t\obj,1Next FreeEntity gtankCollisions 1,2,2,2While Not KeyDown(1)If KeyHit(57) Then light_rot=1-light_rotIf light_rot=1 Then TurnEntity piv,1,0,0EndIf TurnEntity player,MouseYSpeed(),-MouseXSpeed(),0If KeyDown( 17 )=True Then MoveEntity player,0,0,speedIf KeyDown( 31 )=True Then MoveEntity player,0,0,-speedIf KeyDown( 30 )=True Then MoveEntity player,-speed,0,0If KeyDown( 32 )=True Then MoveEntity player,speed,0,0update_tanks()MoveMouse 512,379 UpdateWorld()RenderWorldFlipWendEnd Function update_tanks()For t.tank=Each tankMoveEntity t\obj,0,-.2,0Next End Function 

Here's an image derived from this shit:

6sqoie.jpg

@AQIB: Why don't u try to find the sprites from the game (search in resource folder or something)? Also I'd advise u making the figures 3d first if u can't draw - here:

http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

http://www.blender.org/

http://www.wings3d.com/

Btw - I still think u should start with the mechanics of the game - I mean use some blank images for a beginning for the units.

@criver: i'm using dune 2k sprites for coding in game maker... tht is pretty good... will try wings3d for now... as I said it'll take few months before I actually start building the game... for now i'm setting the base for the game... basic ui,codes,designs for stuff etc.

@criver: i'm using dune 2k sprites for coding in game maker... tht is pretty good... will try wings3d for now... as I said it'll take few months before I actually start building the game... for now i'm setting the base for the game... basic ui,codes,designs for stuff etc.

Well it's good that u have some sprites - I guess u just wanted to make new? - u can try to edit the old ones btw - some color changes - photoshop editing etc (though I think it'll be kinda hard if they are really low res). 

"tht is pretty good" - didn't get what u meant...

"will try wings3d for now" - idk there are plenty of 3d modelers - u can try to find more (I mean I just suggested these because there simple and free - there're professional tools too - like Maya, 3dsmax, lightwave etc.):

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/

http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/

http://poser.smithmicro.com/

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/

http://www.maxon.net/

It's up to u - just find the one that suits u best - I mean u should probably start with something simple - in my case I started with anim8or and the eggplant tutorial, the last thing I actually made was a really high-poly dragon. Though I'd say that wings3d is maybe the best thing to start with - it has this professional touch while keeping things relatively simple. Well if u want a really pro thingy though - I'd say Maya and Z-Brush)they're kinda hard though.

Btw to make them as sprites - there's usually a function generate image in the 3d modelers - u can choose resolution etc. - I've actually done some silly movies with anim8or - though 3d modelling isn't really my specialty - but I still hope that helped u at least a little.

" as I said it'll take few months before I actually start building the game... for now i'm setting the base for the game... basic ui,codes,designs for stuff etc." - u really shouldn't press things(people usually lose motivation when they are under stress - believe me I got some experience with that) - I just meant that u'd rather work on the mechanics than the graphics - forget them for the end (or don't if u're having fun :D  it's always good to keep it fun). Here's a suggestion:

a good way to start would be to make the terrain first - I mean first u can have it flat - go and try making a grid for the terrain (so u can implement even a basic A* algorithm).

Also u should really decide if it will be 2D, 3D or 2D/3D. I mean 3d is not actually harder than 2d contrary to common beliefs (especially in a rts - in fact it even makes some things simpler).

Well that's all - just remember keep it fun (for urself).

well tht pic you posted up there is gud... I actually lost my interest in creating music few months ago but now trying to bring it back... im kinda gud singer my friends say so... well about the game its not me tht will make me loose hope on it... its this country... it tells people to be mechanic and do just one stuff... tht's why i'm choosing this path... it'll be hard because i've to face a whole country of melodramatic people against me... well still I go on with the hope this game will become a reality...

well tht pic you posted up there is gud... I actually lost my interest in creating music few months ago but now trying to bring it back... im kinda gud singer my friends say so... well about the game its not me tht will make me loose hope on it... its this country... it tells people to be mechanic and do just one stuff... tht's why i'm choosing this path... it'll be hard because i've to face a whole country of melodramatic people against me... well still I go on with the hope this game will become a reality...

The pic is not good (I'm feeling flattered actually - but it isn't good :P - and the code is messy ) - I mean I did this thing under 15 minutes - u can see by the length of code - there's not even 100lines of code lolz :laugh: . Though I should mention that blitz3d is kinda noob friendly - I mean usually u'd have 10x lines of code for something like this (unless u make ur own functions and use them - though still u're gonna have like 5 #include at least) on a language like C++.

And btw usually in rts music!=singing... so u can try to figure something out - but I'd advise u  left the music for the end (I mean leave the resources for the end as I've already said - try to focus on the mechanics).

"well about the game its not me tht will make me loose hope on it... its this country... it tells people to be mechanic and do just one stuff... tht's why i'm choosing this path... it'll be hard because i've to face a whole country of melodramatic people against me... well still I go on with the hope this game will become a reality... " - well I don't really know where u live (where do u live? :ph34r: ) but I mean u're generalizing - there are plenty of assholes and small-minded people everywhere - but they're not divided into nations - I mean people are unique - they're not really that defined by their nation , but enough with the philosophy babble - it depends on u (and maybe the people helping u) - what u can and can't do. You shouldn't really "go with the hope" - hope isn't really the best thing - just decide to do it or not - I mean if you know u tried your best u won't regret it - but make sure to have fun too. Also , even if the project doesn't come to fruition - I don't think that's really such an important thing - u don't "lose" if u don't manage to make it - u'll have actually learnt a lot of things from that (I mean I've dropped 100+ projects - it's a little different when this is your first project - but later u'll see that it doesn't really matter - as long as u gain something from this experience).

Well good luck - and most importantly have fun and don't lose confidence and motivation.

@X3M: Btw it's not really as hard as u think - I mean making a program with tanks running around - here's a code I wrote in Blitz3D(though I haven't touched that thing in almost 2 years) in 15m:

I just created 2 pages of why it is hard for me to understand programming language. But I deleted those pages to keep you happy instead of impending doom depression :).

Anyway, to make things short. There are even people who don't understand the difference between a circle and another round object. ^^ Don't , don't ever, never, tell them it's easy to understand.

Each person has it's own speciality.

(yes, I know of someone who doesn't know)

@ criver

We are all friends on this forum. :), despite our heritage or nation.

I hope we agree on that.

@ the AQIB

Is there a place to check out your progress? I mean, the game you are creating?

And do stuff that only you like to do. If others like it too, it's a bonus for you.

I just created 2 pages of why it is hard for me to understand programming language. But I deleted those pages to keep you happy instead of impending doom depression :).

Anyway, to make things short. There are even people who don't understand the difference between a circle and another round object. ^^ Don't , don't ever, never, tell them it's easy to understand.

(yes, I know of someone who doesn't know)

@ criver

I hope we agree on that.

@ the AQIB

And do stuff that only you like to do. If others like it too, it's a bonus for you.

I kinda didn't understand everyhting you said ??? ... well whatever:

"I just created 2 pages of why it is hard for me to understand programming language. But I deleted those pages to keep you happy instead of impending doom depression ???

"

(yes, I know of someone who doesn't know)" - it doesn't matter what somebody doesn't understand as long as he is willing to understand it - it just requires some effort and motivation - for one thing programming languages are like learning a new (speaking) language - though a programming language should be easier - considering it's fully based on logic (there are no logical exceptions like in speaking languags - I mean in my native language you can have double positve equal negative: +*+!=- ; but well that's how it is - and there are no 60k+ words in programming languages). So I mean it's not as hard as people tend to view it - but whatever - I mean if u don't even try u won't know.

"

I hope we agree on that." - that was pretty random - but I think u just misunderstood my prev post( otherwise I can't get ur point in writing this - I'me even getting the feeling that u misenderstoo that I tried to offend somebody - and I'd say no it isn't the case ??? ) - I was trying to tell the guy not to get depressed over his people (cause he said:  "its this country... it tells people to be mechanic and do just one stuff... tht's why i'm choosing this path... it'll be hard because i've to face a whole country of melodramatic people against me..." ) - and I got a little phylosophical and wrote that it doesn't really matter what "our heritage or nation" are - cause a person is unique and can't be generalized on base of nation/country etc - so not all the people can be melodramatic - different people have distinct ideas - people are not a mass but consist of different individuals(who have different ideas etc - so they can't be all meloramatic). But yeah we're all friends ??? ).

And here just for u I'm gonna analyze my code to show u that it isn't really that hard(the languag is Blitz3D - some kind of Basic language - with some additional features and an integrated 3d engine - has  really good command reference in it - so the usage of every function can be checked there):

Graphics3D 1024,768,0,1

Basically this is a function that should look something like this Graphics3D(window_width,window_height,color_depth,mode) - the function opens a direct3d window with the specified parameters in windows: window_width being the width in pixels of the window, window_hieght - the height in pixels of the window http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution, color_depth - how many bits of color usually 16/24/32 or 0 to use current Windows color_depth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth, and mode tells how to open the window - full-screen/winowed.

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

- basically it's setting up in which buffer the vga writes - we choose the backbuffer - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff604993.aspx , http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/backbuffer-r1128, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framebuffer

SeedRnd 8

- ever played minecraft - it's basically the rnd seed when u have a map - it's a seed for my rand() functions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_seed

Local player

Local speed#=.3

Local Light_rot=1

Defining some variables(the first is an int, 2nd float, 3rd int) - all of them are local and not global -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_variable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_variable

Type tank Field obj End Type

A simplified version of the struct or class in C++: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struct_(C_programming_language) , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_classes

cam=CreateCamera()

MoveEntity cam,0,30,0

player=cam

Well that's really simple - CreateCamera() - creates a camera in 3d space and returns a handle to the indentifier cam; MoveEntity cam,0,30,0 - moves this camera up with 30 (x=0,y=30,z=0);

player=cam - assigns the handle of cam to player.

I'm gonna stop here for now - but I think it's enough to understand that it's not that hard - I mean u don't really need to know what is a BackBuffer actually or how the seedrnd works or other trivial things to get the program running - u just need basic notions such as variables, functions, statements, identifiers, global/local scope etc. - and I don' think there's anything more self-explanatory than a function like CreateCamera or LoadMesh or CreateLight or RenderWorld etc.

I know I can be vague. Especially when I am drunk. Look at that time :D

And I do understand the programming to some extent that you are posting.

They are different then the ones I know. If I for example, want a dice to work on my calculator:

rand(6)

Drawing a line between 2 points:

line(5,8,3,9)

That's my level of programming.

- ever played minecraft -[/unquote]

Yes, and therefore my avatar.

Anyway, to get back into programming, I think I have to start at the first step again. And I am slower then others, even though I understand what I have to do. Of course I also have to choose a language to work with.

If you are wondering, why I am not doing that? I simply don't have the time for it. Nor would I like to spend time on it, since I don't have much free time. I rather spend it on shooting my cousin in a game. ^^

Of course I also like playing other games, and I am curious of what AQIB is making.

By X3M:

"Of course I also like playing other games, and I am curious of what AQIB is making."

@X3M: I'll soon post screenshots if possible... Well gamemaker makes it easier to program but still got to sit and program...

@criver: India... Nation sux at understanding new stuff... anyways leave tht its waste of tym... Game is slightly on hold... Using few other guys code as hints to my own code... Ofcourse in programming i need tym which i ain't got now... so taking suggestions here for what to include in game and what not to...

By X3M:

"@ the AQIB

And do stuff that only you like to do. If others like it too, it's a bonus for you."

@X3M:Well i'll be putting up a site outside also you can view my progress there and also in this post... or should i start a new post just for updates??

I said I wouldn't help u with coding but whatever (I don't know game maker - but I'll figure the code I guess) - can u post the code u're having a problem with and what exactly - I'm gonna take a look and try to help u. Just tell me what exactly (what part/mechanic of the game) are u trying to code now and post the code where u're now.

I guess I am the only one who noticed him stating that he soon would be putting it on hold because of personal reasons.

For keeping track of your progress, you could

- keep a blog here in a new thread.

- or give a link in your signature to the site you where referring to.

Ah, it looks like it's the latter. Good, will check it out.

• Upvote 1

I guess I am the only one who noticed him stating that he soon would be putting it on hold because of personal reasons.

For keeping track of your progress, you could

- keep a blog here in a new thread.

- or give a link in your signature to the site you where referring to.

Ah, it looks like it's the latter. Good, will check it out.

Nope u weren't the only one - and he said he'll have exams like 5 times - so yeah I knew he'd stop the projects for some time.

@vota dc : can you explain the gla unit???

In generals you could build a weak turret (useful against infantry) that could be used for moving troops: if a soldier enter he can exit from any turret of the same type even if it is built on the other side of the map.

• Upvote 1