Dune 2000 mission map editor released!

Klofkac

Hello all Dune2k fans. I've played Dune 2000 several years ago and I always dreamt of editing mission maps (but I could only edit multiplayer maps with Shai Hulud or Domination). Now I started playing Dune again and found this web page. I found many interesting topics about mission files hacking and some fan-made mission maps. I also found some tools for mis file editing, but there was still NOT editor for mission map files. So I decided to make it (because I was little skilled in programming in Delphi) and now I'm releasing it here.

There is a screenshot:

screenshotr.gif

And here you can download it:

D2kEditor.zip

Note that you MUST copy tileset files into 'graphics' folder. You can download them here. Without them you cannot see the terrain.

Now something about the editor.

Very thanks for this topic, it helped me really lot.

It is a simple program that allows you to open/save maps and place buildings or units into them. I needed to save as much time as possible, so it has only the most important features, for example it doesn't support editing the terrain at all. You must use for example Shai-hulud for editing terrain. But maybe I will continue with programming and I will implement terrain editing and other features (for example resizing and shifting map, counting the energy etc). So if you like this program, I can improve it.

I also released source codes for this program, so that anyone can participate on it or implement a new feature.

Summary:

- Current version: alpha 0.1

- Programmed in: Delphi 7

- Programming time: two days

- Code size: 616 lines

- Should run with any windows

- Functionality: open map, save map, minimap, select tileset, place or remove buildings or units for 7 players, edit spice and spawn points, show grid

- Known bugs: status bar may disappear sometimes, all errors are unhandled

- No warranty!

Do not claim this program as your own, do not sell it etc etc.... This is free and open-sourced program made by a fan for fans.

Thanks for using this program, I hope it will help you making mission maps. I'm looking forward your replies and your maps.

PS: Please, if it is possible, place this editor into Fed2k editor download page (for example this), or some other page so people can find it better.

• Upvote 2

FINALLY D2K GETS AN OFFICIAL MAP EDITOR

THANK YOU DUDE

and what would go good with the Editor is Trigger editing like for example Reinforcements and Timer and changing Diplomacy during game and also editing units that will be in a Reinforcement for a specific house

Thank you all for downloading and replies.

Maybe I'll take a look into finishing the mission file editor in the next couple of weeks.

That sounds great! It would be great if mis file editor was finished or improved so that people can easily edit events, triggers, reinforcements etc.

Good job, would you be interested in adding this to d2k+?

I would also be interested in bundling this with the Gruntmods edition of the Dune 2000, with your permission.

Of course, I'd like to add my editor into d2k+ project. You can add it to Gruntmods edition too.

when i open map, it load normally but grapchics mess up. when scrolling , spice fields fill whole map

This happens when you do not load any tileset. If the program has problems with loading tilesets, try using Tileset -> Load from file. You must add tileset files (for example d2k_BLOXBGBS.bmp) into graphics directory.

Please note that this should not be the final version. I wanted to program it as fast as possible, so the program is very simple. If you are interested (and I have enough time and motivation of course), I can improve the editor and add new features.

There are some feature suggestions:

- editing the terrain (now you must use Shai-Hulud for it)

- resize and shift map

- energy counter

- half scale (tiles are smaller so you can see bigger part of map)

- better interface (shortcuts, undo&redo, etc)

You can suggest something too or even participate in programming.

Actually there is a simple copy function. When you middle-click at some unit or building (left top tile), you will get its special value.

Carryall has a simple "C in square" sprite because its sprite is too wide. And worm spawn, spice bloom etc have simple color sprites, but you can edit them in graphics/misc_objects.bmp file. You can make sprites for them and post them to me!

On 7/30/2011 at 3:33 PM, Klofkac said:

Actually there is a simple copy function. When you middle-click at some unit or building (left top tile), you will get its special value.

Carryall has a simple "C in square" sprite because its sprite is too wide. And worm spawn, spice bloom etc have simple color sprites, but you can edit them in graphics/misc_objects.bmp file. You can make sprites for them and post them to me!

By copy and paste, I mean in the sense that Shai-Halud allows you to, and when the terrain editing is implemented.

I made a quick and dirty edit in paint so you can use the sprites from Shai-Halud with the editor.

I made a quick and dirty edit in paint so you can use the sprites from Shai-Halud with the editor.

Thanks for help. I wanted to use SH sprites too. I will use the image in next release.

found bug - cannot place modified outpost bulding

Not a bug, its specific to house harkonan.

Alright. Modified outpost can have only Harkonnen, Ordos and Smugglers. Same with Sietch (Fremen and Emperor only) and House specific tank.

what with mercenary heavy factory?

--------------

problem with saving the maps, when i modify maps with this editor. some changes dont save. i.e i add starport to atreides mission 8 for atreides, , the starport dont appear on mission

Exacly when i open map and want to save it, it defaultly trying to save as first mission. would be nice to have enchanced save option like autosave evry 5 10 or 15minutes.

another nice would be tileset auto-switch to map. editor shall detect what map uses tileset so when that map is loaded, it will set correct tileset for that map

what with mercenary heavy factory?

--------------

problem with saving the maps, when i modify maps with this editor. some changes dont save. i.e i add starport to atreides mission 8 for atreides, , the starport dont appear on mission

Exacly when i open map and want to save it, it defaultly trying to save as first mission. would be nice to have enchanced save option like autosave evry 5 10 or 15minutes.

another nice would be tileset auto-switch to map. editor shall detect what map uses tileset so when that map is loaded, it will set correct tileset for that map

Auto save is damn annoying, and theres isn't anything wrong with the editor. Try not saving directly to the missions folder.

Thanks for awesome carryall sprites, I will use them. But there is one problem that colors in your bmp messed up. Can you please send me 24-bit bmp with carryall sprites only?

The editor is working without any problem to me. Mercenary factory is ok and saving too.

Tileset autodetection would be VERY hard to implement. Even Shai-Hulud doesnt support it. The only way to detect tileset is to read it from .mis file.

Thanks for awesome carryall sprites, I will use them. But there is one problem that colors in your bmp messed up. Can you please send me 24-bit bmp with carryall sprites only?

The editor is working without any problem to me. Mercenary factory is ok and saving too.

Tileset autodetection would be VERY hard to implement. Even Shai-Hulud doesnt support it. The only way to detect tileset is to read it from .mis file.

Sure, try this.

I had to color them myself, so you if these ones are still wonky you need to fix them up. The smuggler one is the default I used as a base.

Wow, thanx dude ! :D I've been waiting for such a program for years.. Now it's really easy to add units/buildings.. But if you will improve it, it would be nice if you could add a fature that would let us to put for example the Harkonnen palace being owned by ordos. And any other buildings that only other Houses have to be able to be placed for any Houses (at least the primary three). :) this will be great! And also, if someone will finish the mission file editor we'll have a very good stuff to work on completely new missions :) (being able to modify triggers, reinforcements etc.)

Wow, thanx dude ! :D I've been waiting for such a program for years.. Now it's really easy to add units/buildings.. But if you will improve it, it would be nice if you could add a fature that would let us to put for example the Harkonnen palace being owned by ordos.

Not possible.
And any other buildings that only other Houses have to be able to be placed for any Houses (at least the primary three). :) this will be great! And also, if someone will finish the mission file editor we'll have a very good stuff to work on completely new missions :) (being able to modify triggers, reinforcements etc.)

MVI is working on the tools, and I am helping him a bit. I am also the one who will write tutorials for how to use them properly.

MVI is working on the tools, and I am helping him a bit. I am also the one who will write tutorials for how to use them properly.

Ok, but can you aproximate the time that it will be ready? and btw one of them works, that one which allows you to change index, starting money, diplomacy and tech level but has no events and conditions. I used this to edit _PRAC.MIS and some of the campaign mission files.

Oh, and about the tutorial, if would be great if it can be a video tutorial, maybe on YouTube xD (it's just a suggestion)

And another problem: it's horrible that I can't turn the AI to active or passive if it was not done by the developers.. I can't add a functional house or subhouse in a mission that didn't have it because it won't do anything. I hope that such an option will be in that .MIS Editor xD (I heared that with HexEditor this can be done but I really don't know to work with that..)

I'll wait for them, keep us updated!

• Upvote 1

Ok, but can you aproximate the time that it will be ready? and btw one of them works, that one which allows you to change index, starting money, diplomacy and tech level but has no events and conditions. I used this to edit _PRAC.MIS and some of the campaign mission files.

Oh, and about the tutorial, if would be great if it can be a video tutorial, maybe on YouTube xD (it's just a suggestion)

And another problem: it's horrible that I can't turn the AI to active or passive if it was not done by the developers.. I can't add a functional house or subhouse in a mission that didn't have it because it won't do anything. I hope that such an option will be in that .MIS Editor xD (I heared that with HexEditor this can be done but I really don't know to work with that..)

I'll wait for them, keep us updated!

Our knowledge of AI is limited at the moment, though it is possible for us to enable basic AI on subhouses.

I have done both video and picture tutorials in the past, and photo tutorials are much easier and effective, although I understand the appeal of a youtube video and will keep it in mind.

As for when the tools will be done, who knows? We have been making good progress, but roadblocks do happen, and they are hard to predict. (In short, it will be done when it is done.)

Our knowledge of AI is limited at the moment, though it is possible for us to enable basic AI on subhouses.

I have done both video and picture tutorials in the past, and photo tutorials are much easier and effective, although I understand the appeal of a youtube video and will keep it in mind.

As for when the tools will be done, who knows? We have been making good progress, but roadblocks do happen, and they are hard to predict. (In short, it will be done when it is done.)

Can you give me a link for a tutorial for enabling basic AI? or just explain the process here. I presume that this require hex editing, so tell us the offsets xD

Is the basic AI = making him to be active? or basic AI = skirmish AI? I'd like the AI to be like in campaign(active) not like skirmish, so I'd like to know what to change to enable it.

and does somebody know how to make starport reinforcements for player? i saw in a topic a discussion about this but no one gave the answer. I could only take the Emperor's reinforcements from O9V2 and put them to me, but they stopped after the Emperor Starport was destroyed and if I received reinforcements, then the Emperor had no one (cuz I took his)

Can you give me a link for a tutorial for enabling basic AI? or just explain the process here. I presume that this require hex editing, so tell us the offsets xD

Is the basic AI = making him to be active? or basic AI = skirmish AI? I'd like the AI to be like in campaign(active) not like skirmish, so I'd like to know what to change to enable it.

and does somebody know how to make starport reinforcements for player? i saw in a topic a discussion about this but no one gave the answer. I could only take the Emperor's reinforcements from O9V2 and put them to me, but they stopped after the Emperor Starport was destroyed and if I received reinforcements, then the Emperor had no one (cuz I took his)

Its actually very easy to change regular reinforcements to use a starport instead, just change any regular event code for reinforcements to 01, and you will receive them through starport.

No tutorial at all until we finish our research, as I would need to keep changing it as we learn more. Just be a little patient ;)

Its actually very easy to change regular reinforcements to use a starport instead, just change any regular event code for reinforcements to 01, and you will receive them through starport.

No tutorial at all until we finish our research, as I would need to keep changing it as we learn more. Just be a little patient ;)

Ok, I'll wait but about the reinforcements.. Can you tell me the offset where I have to modify that? Cuz i didn't understand what you said above :D i made it just in O9V2 but were not my reinforcements, but Emperor's. i want to make my own so i don't need to overwrite others.

and about switching AI active, i'd like to know that too, if you can tell me the offsets and what i have to modify in them here :D thx a lot

Ok, I'll wait but about the reinforcements.. Can you tell me the offset where I have to modify that? Cuz i didn't understand what you said above :D i made it just in O9V2 but were not my reinforcements, but Emperor's. i want to make my own so i don't need to overwrite others.

and about switching AI active, i'd like to know that too, if you can tell me the offsets and what i have to modify in them here :D thx a lot

I don't really want to touch on those things yet, what did you even edit to receive the emperors reinforcements? The reason they stop is because a condition for them is that a starport needs to be on the map (for obvious reasons)