Gulf Oil Spill

Andrew

So this has been going on for around a month. And every day it seems to get worse.

Todays great unofficial news is that the seabed may have collapsed, and BP has stopped the video footage.

What the Hell is Happening with the BP Oil Gusher?

The media seems to be doing nothing. All those things used to gather oil aren't being used properly. I remember reading an article where the Coast guard prevented media from filming in a certain area.

“It’s BP’s Oil”

Another article states that it could be plugged by Wednesday.

So who wants to guess as to whether or not it will really be plugged or if they just say it is and ignore any other bad stuff?

The police quickly assist with giving the roundabout and preventing media access in general after the oil incident. Quick, organized, and efficient. When hurricane Katrina came around, service was decidedly slower and of less quality.

Heh, I guess they were too busy doing corporate dirty business to actually do their jobs. :D

'Nice' pictures. Thanks Andrew.

Specks of oil stick onto the foot of Maggie Grace Hurdle, 8
It reminds me of my feet at the same age. The same torture before lunch time: to clean them from tar. Back then (70's-80's) it took years for the beach we were going vacations to become clean.

The singing shark comic encounters oil spill

:(

La. scientist locates another vast oil plume in the gulf

Hurray. Now two large oil plumes known about.

Cowan said that the submarine traveled about 400 feet down, close to the sea floor, and found oil all the way down. Trying to find the edges of the plume, he said the submarine traveled miles from side to side.

>:(

BP Knew of Deepwater Horizon Problems 11 Months Ago

Also a bunch of BP people were supposed to show up to talk to congress or something, and none of them showed up (can't find source currently).

http://www.beowulfe.com/oil/

Awesome visual graphic that overlays oil spill onto where you ip address comes from (location).

From the looks of it, if this oil spill happened where I live, it would kill entire Maritimes fishing industry. With the fishing industry gone, it would also greatly harm tourism with no one wanting to own beach land (or visit oil polluted beaches). So there goes another industry. Yah, it would probably force us into a depression.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the reason why they try to control the media access because it jsut creates more noise, but there is enough noise already. What noise doesn't do is create a solution to the problem. Second reason is that the oil polluted areas are not exactly healthy for the humans and so letting media go there, get sick and sue you for getting sick is not the best thing to do.

In the end people love to scream about problems but got no solutions to offer, that is why BP is asking for ideas from the public. This is them saying: You think you can do better, alright give us your ideas.

Patently absurd.

No offense, but perhaps you would like to reconsider taking the stance that most supports the status quo on every occasion.

This ''Noise'' is what news is. People getting information. It is also necessary in some cases for a person or group to suffer some consequences for his ill deeds (as typical civilized society deems necessary).

As for people getting sick... give me a break. Talk about stretching it. Do I seriously need to even say anything?

''In the end people love to scream about problems but got no solutions to offer, that is why BP is asking for ideas from the public. This is them saying: You think you can do better, alright give us your ideas.''

Yeah. Taking a shit on somebody's floor and turning around and saying ''well, give me some ideas!'' when the guy screams somehow makes it wrong for him to continue being critical of your choice of defecation locations.

The people have the right to scream. That BP asks for ideas is slightly nice I guess (no big deal) but other than that.

This is very similar to someone abusing public property and asking that no one say anything.... After which some guy comes up and supports this saying that we should avoid pointless ''noise'', should keep the media away from the property for their own safety (with there being no real danger) and then criticizing the onlookers for criticizing the guy who broke the public property without offering any solutions.

The company that owned the rig (Transocean) is doing badly in stock pricing, worse than BP. My question is, was it a rig problem or a service worker mess-up? I'm still baffled by the lack of a competent contingency plan by BP.

Patently absurd.

No offense, but perhaps you would like to reconsider taking the stance that most supports the status quo on every occasion.

No not really, I am pretty happy with my stance right now.

This ''Noise'' is what news is. People getting information. It is also necessary in some cases for a person or group to suffer some consequences for his ill deeds (as typical civilized society deems necessary).

Yeah. Taking a shit on somebody's floor and turning around and saying ''well, give me some ideas!'' when the guy screams somehow makes it wrong for him to continue being critical of your choice of defecation locations.

Oh they are suffering, each barrel of oil out of that pipe is a loss that reflects on their income statements and so on their future dividends and therefore on their stock price. I am pretty sure the BP executives have a head ache right now or a migraine that won

Well I get you about news being shitty nowadays. No doubt about that. That they prefer making money to making news is the problem.

Well, isn't all the shouting and talking already an effect? Since BP doesn't want it's image ruined it provides discouragement for further such acts...

OK, let's be realistic BP won't give a shit. But now let's be even more realistic: There isn't anything the public can do about much of anything, short of changing government.

Some would say that the truth being revealed is in itself useful, but if you're going to ask for much more than that for legitimizing news, then most news will be illegitimate; It is rare that people have the capability to act on news (other than using it to form their opinions). All that can be hoped for is people giving a hue and a cry over it, and when has it been otherwise?

At the end of the day, there is nothing special about this news. It's as useful as the typical piece of news.

Through this way of thinking, most news ever should not have been broadcasted.

''So when people are all screaming how BP is being bad about everything my response is how do you know they are doing a bad job? ''

''Some interesting pics showing they are using small absorbent pads to try and clean it up.''

That doesn't strike me as a serious attempt at a cleanup. I don't have all the information but everything I've seen so far shows that this is no serious attempt, and that BP is not willing to incur the financial expense of a proper clean up, which isn't surprising seeing as how they were not willing to incur the financial expense to prevent it in the first place.

As for people ''screaming'', there's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. Take the new Dune books for example. There something wrong with people saying they're shit, even though saying so is not particularly constructive?

In summary:

This news is as useful as any other.

People are doing what they can: nearly nothing.

What's wrong with calling shit shit?

Well that picture with pads is not exactly telling anything (it is artistically a good photo). There is no back story to that picture and so we create one which is just like Grade 9 creative writing exercise. However, the truth could be that as the workers were leaving they were using these pads to clean up their cloths and hands and one of the boxes got overturned but nobody bothered to go pick up the pads that spilled since work day was over.

Are you for real?

If the security guard said "sure go ask and see if anyone wants to be interviewed" and then no one wanted to be interviewed... problem solved. But instead media are not allowed to even ask workers if they want to be interviewed.

It's really not uncommon for firms to prevent their workforce from talking to the media during tough times at a company so this really cannot be used against BP.

It's really not uncommon for firms to prevent their workforce from talking to the media during tough times at a company so this really cannot be used against BP.

But the president of the firm said there would be no media restrictions. So it is fair to attack them on this point.