Birds of a feather

We're the biggest fish in the pool

No traces ever

Of whatever we smoked at school

• 2 weeks later...

And this sums up the future one:

osborne-bullingdon.jpg

Hehe.

Blair was just as bad, though- IIRC the previous lord chancellor whatshisname was his flatmate from his college days, and I'm guessing he's not the only one.

As for Thatcher, I'm not sure I would have voted for her if I were a contemporary Brit...but some of the stuff she's now reviled for was necessary and would never have happened under a labour government. For example, she banned the closed shop practice. Before that, unions forced employers to hire only unionised workers. This is even more galling if you realize that part of your mandatory union fees would, in most cases, be funneled to the Labour party in election time.

That said, I don't like either Labour or the Tories much. I'd probably vote Lib Dem, even if they don't stand a chance in my constituency.

• 3 weeks later...
As for Thatcher, I'm not sure I would have voted for her if I were a contemporary Brit...but some of the stuff she's now reviled for was necessary and would never have happened under a labour government. For example, she banned the closed shop practice. Before that, unions forced employers to hire only unionised workers.

And what exactly was wrong with that? Closed shops are the best safeguard against union-busting employers. They ensure high wages and may even reduce capitalist exploitation to a tolerable level.

Besides, banning any kind of agreement between employers and unions is a use of state power to restrict freedom of contract. And I thought you liberals supported freedom of contract as a matter of principle. Or is it ok for the state to intervene in the economy as long as it's on the side of the capitalists?

This is even more galling if you realize that part of your mandatory union fees would, in most cases, be funneled to the Labour party in election time.

And part of the mandatory "fee" that you pay to your boss - the value he extracts from you in order to make a profit - is often funneled to the Tory party.

That said, I don't like either Labour or the Tories much. I'd probably vote Lib Dem, even if they don't stand a chance in my constituency.

Ever the loyal liberal. :)

"Lib Dems aren't really liberal in the continental meaning of it though."

Depends. They're certainly more like the D66 than the VVD in Dutch terms. Mind, they're often happy to push privatisation when they can't score political points off opposing it. On the other hand, even the Orange Book wing aren't the rabid free-marketeers you get in the continental liberal parties, and there is still a clear social-democratic strand to their politics, which is sadly being brushed aside by the present leadership. That's a mistake that'll cost them, I feel.