Earthlike planet found just 40 light-years away!

Edric O

That's right, an actual Earth-like planet - 2.7 times the size of the Earth, and possessing liquid water - has apparently been found by astronomers orbiting a small star just 40 light-years away.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/16/super.earth.discovery/index.html

I'm not sure what kind of star they are talking about, exactly, and I'm not sure if this planet would be hospitable for human life (the article says it may be "too hot", and there is of course the question of atmospheric composition), but this is a very exciting development. And it's so close to the Sun! If two Earth-type planets exist within 40 light-years of each other, this greatly increases the possibility that we will find others, as well.

Cool.

Well, er, no ... pretty hot, actually.

So, the conclusion is that GJ 1214b probably has a thin shell of hydrogen and helium for an atmosphere, and then a massive ocean above a silicate and iron core.

Depending on how reflective the planet's atmosphere is, it may have temperatures as high as 555K, or as low as 393K

So, the conclusion is that GJ 1214b probably has a thin shell of hydrogen and helium for an atmosphere, and then a massive ocean above a silicate and iron core.

Depending on how reflective the planet's atmosphere is, it may have temperatures as high as 555K, or as low as 393K

Wouldn't the discovery of an Earth-like planet make people even more careless towards the environment, knowing that if things get dicey, you can move on to another place?

Hmm ... Dante has a point.

And I remember the last time I moved just 5 light years. Was a royal pain in the ass. And the movers ... so RUDE! And they broke some of our best china!

;)

It's relative (what isn't these days?). It's more Earth-like than say, Mars or Mercury. Arguably.

Or a "hot Jupiter". Definitely.

Euphemism? As in don't turn your back on any swans or bulls, folks, and hide all yer purdy boys?

As curses go, anything's preferable to "Vermillion Hells!", no?

(snort)

I wonder if the Celestia simulator people have got this new planet into the database yet....

You're too kind. ;D

As a matter of fact, one of them did. In Tintin in the Congo a snake eats his dog, Snowy. I forget exactly what happens, but at one point Snowy's legs are poking out of the snake's side and running around with it. Trufax!