Mission File Discussion

mvi

It seems that it controls REINFORCEMENTS in my opinion it controls STARPORT KIND OF UNITS in O6V2 and O6V1 in yours it controls smuggler carryals reinforces(then my is 1st part of event i edited and i need to find ALL values and bytes{from what it starts and end etc.} in the event first to make fully researched event[starport kind of units]then yours is 2nd part of event you edited and you need to find ALL values and bytes{from what it starts and end etc.} in the event first to make fully researched event) but what mission u edit??

All of these are my thinkings what to do and what are done.

I've been making some modifications to my mission editor in regard to working out the event section:

missioneditor.png

Also if you're interested in what will be in the toolkit at the end of the month:

.MIS Editor, currently in the testing stage

General purpose .UIB editor which currently handles test.uib, samples.uib, menus.uib and colours.uib (campaign.uib currently unsupported.)

.R8 and .R16 editor

.MAP Campaign Editor

All these programs will require the .Net framework, and the campaign editor will probably require the XNA run-time libraries (which will be packaged with it.) In terms of other editors, I'd like to make a UIL menu editor and a tileset editor (including the related tileset .BIN files).

better  than  H2S04 IS Na0H

put  NA into  H20  you wil get  H2  and NA0H  and this  will burn  your eyes too.

if you look for total waste of water  get an  CuSO4  dispense in water and vuala. 

by the way  hows are going progress on  these editors?  maybe there will be way to play game in windowed mode?

The test version now also features AI copying, so that you can copy the AI from one player to another. (i.e. if you like the AI that player 3 has and want player 4 to have the same AI, you just copy from 3 to 4)

Okay, bytes 0x58 through to 0xEE17 are AI related, they are split into 8 sections, one for each player. Each section is 7608  bytes long. The first byte of each section is the side ID. So the first section's first byte is 00, second section's first byte is 01 etc.

So/

Player 1 starts at 0x58

Player 2 starts at 0x1E10

Player 3 starts at 0x3BC8

etc.

I just found the function that reads these sections from the .MIS? files.

Its attached to a loop that reads a function called InitAI() and after the 8th condition, it continues with the rest of the function where it calls LoadObjectives(), what this does i dunno.

I hope i can help out a little here, i dunno how at the moment

What tools are you using to (presumably) explore the dat file? This sounds really useful, if I can understand how the game loads in the files I'll have a much better understanding of these mission files.

The .dat is really just a renamed .exe; it even has an icon if you rename it to .exe

Exe files are scanned with disassemblers like IDA, which quite simply interpret the binary CPU commands in it and translate them to readable text. It's still very rudimentary though; the basics behind all programming languages. But if you're familiar with it, you can get a lot of information out of it, and even convert it to normal programming language (like some people are doing for Dune II). For a program like Dune2K that's not too likely to happen though. Would take years of hard work, and no one is paying us.

The .dat is really just a renamed .exe; it even has an icon if you rename it to .exe

Exe files are scanned with disassemblers like IDA, which quite simply interpret the binary CPU commands in it and translate them to readable text. It's still very rudimentary though; the basics behind all programming languages. But if you're familiar with it, you can get a lot of information out of it, and even convert it to normal programming language (like some people are doing for Dune II). For a program like Dune2K that's not too likely to happen though. Would take years of hard work, and no one is paying us.

Indeed, the point of the executable is that if the main app needs to be patched that it can do it.

I realise its not practical to convert Dune 2000 to its native C++ Lite, however there are parts of the game which it would be very useful to understand how it works, such as the way the game loads in parts of the mission file.

Indeedy;

IDA Pro 5.2 for dissasembly.

HexRays for IDA Pro to convert some code to C# for easier reading.

HexWorkshop for, hexing around! :P

Custom Assembly tool for converting ASM opcodes to byte opcodes.

Ah right, I'll have to dig out the programs I used before for disassembly and decompiling when I was working on the DAT file, since I can't remember what their names were. I tend to use XVI for my hex work, it's a nice lightweight but functional editor.

The test version now also features AI copying, so that you can copy the AI from one player to another. (i.e. if you like the AI that player 3 has and want player 4 to have the same AI, you just copy from 3 to 4)

To bad it dosn't work at all.....

don't know why, as the edits you did before work, but not ones done by the program.

• 1 month later...
Guest D.dioto

Ok boys and girls, ladies and germs, assembled Hermats... this is the mission discussion area to ask your fearless, if temporary, leader questions you have regarding the current mission and where said temporary, yet still fearless, leader will make announcements regarding the mission.

That being said, let everyone know Im going to try and keep things moving at a pretty good pace. If we get to going too quickly, please just let me know either in this thread or via PM and Ill slow things down.

Also, I like to try to keep things neat. So, Ive closed every completed JP thread and every OOC thread that has not been posted in this month. If you need any of them re-opened ye have to but ask and ye shall receive.