Yarrr! Don't sail off the coast of Somalia, matey

Edric O

For all those who thought that piracy was something only found in the 17th century and in Disney movies, fear no longer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7358764.stm

Pirates are not only alive and well in Somali waters, but apparently their numbers are increasing fast. It must have something to do with Somalia's lack of a government and hence its lack of a coast guard. Yarrr!

Piracy exists in other places, most take advantage of national waters to hide from the pursuing ships. Simple Example would be like this: A pirate ship could attack a ship near waters of country A than when country A sends its navy to catch it, pirate can go into national waters of country B. Country A's navy can not enter without authorization waters of country B.

Do all waters belong to one nation or another? I imagine the best piracy points would be ones where trade run through and along borders where one one side lie the waters of a country that would take offense (and make a big fuss out of) trespassing in its water (regardless of the reasons) but doesn't have much of a navy of its own with which to stop your privacy such as your typical regime held country.

As far as crime goes, it actually sounds like a relatively safe and efficient way of making money. Wouldn't mind being a pirate for a while myself if its as good as it looks at first glimpse to be honest... so long as the actions required didn't become too unethical.

Do all waters belong to one nation or another?

Offshore waters, yes, but there are also international waters out at sea that belong to no one... speaking of which, I wonder what happens if there is a crime committed in international waters. Who has jurisdiction?

Offshore waters, yes, but there are also international waters out at sea that belong to no one... speaking of which, I wonder what happens if there is a crime committed in international waters. Who has jurisdiction?

In International waters any fleet can capture pirates.

And yes pirates do prefer areas where there are few countries nearby so that they can pass form one territorial waters to another, but more preferred is the places where those territorial waters are disputed.

It depends on the destination of the ships, the departure points, and where the vessels are registered, as well as the closest territorial waters.

''Well, where's the buried treasure?

Couldn't country B go on to nab them then? It's what always happens when countries cooperate to nab criminals.''

That's why the wise pirate makes sure country B is one without a real navy, set of laws, e.t.c.

Couldn't country B go on to nab them then? It's what always happens when countries cooperate to nab criminals.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  Or rather, Country B might be glad there are pirates in Country A's waters, for some reason or another.

Similar to bucanneers (is that the right term for those given free reign by their country to pirate another's waters?), but in a more under the table fashion.

I think those are called corsairs, though I could be wrong.

Corsair:

NOUN:

1. A pirate, especially along the Barbary Coast.

2. A swift pirate ship, often operating with official sanction.

Buccaneer

NOUN:

1. A pirate, especially one of the freebooters who preyed on Spanish shipping in the West Indies during the 17th century.

2. A ruthless speculator or adventurer.

Oh, and you're welcome. *smiles shamelessly*

No, I don' think so.  He wasn't really a pirate, just a privateer.  In other words, he'd only really attack Spanish vessels.  He was in the Royal Navy too, when we defeated the Spanish Armada.  There's a statue of him down here, and a shopping centre amongst other things named after him.