Holidays in the UK

Dunenewt

I've been to Berwick-upon-Tweed.  A caravan park there with a decent arcade and evening entertainment.  I got to see Billy the Blue Power Ranger wrestle some other guy.  It was spectacular.

It was also 1998, so shh. :P

Other than that, I've been to... another caravan park / area in Oban.  Was a really nice time with a really nice person.  One of the happiest weeks of my life.

And now I'm all nostalgic.  Thanks, Dunenewt. ::)

Cambridge, Edinburgh, York, Bath. And London, of course. My trips to these places may or may not count as holidays depending on your interpretation of the term. I have to say that Edinburgh was the best from a tourist's point of view.

:O You've been to London and you prefer Edinberg???

But London is the greatest city of earth.

Well I've been to Inverness, Bath, the Peaks, the Lakes, Norfolk, Suffolk, and various Center Parks holiday. All very fun!

:O You've been to London and you prefer Edinberg???

But London is the greatest city of earth.

I'm sorry, but a large, well-preserved medieval castle on a hill overlooking the city = win. Edinburgh is definitely the better destination for a holiday.

On the other hand, London would be the better place to live, if it weren't for the insane housing prices. Or prices in general. I can't understand how anyone can afford to live here...

I been to London, Bath, Stratford, Oxford and Cambridge, Windsor, plus the Stonehedge.

I would not say that London is the best city on earth, it beats Paris for me but the pollution (which I could smell, better than Brussels where due to pollution I found it hard to breath) there and amount of cars and people on the sidewalks just drove me crazy for first 3 days. But than again I am spoiled by wide open spaces of Canada, and Russian Ural mountains.

I'm sorry, but a large, well-preserved medieval castle on a hill overlooking the city = win. Edinburgh is definitely the better destination for a holiday.

On the other hand, London would be the better place to live, if it weren't for the insane housing prices. Or prices in general. I can't understand how anyone can afford to live here...

To be honest no one really does, we all just go to discount shops.

I've been to the West coast and some of the Scottish islands, spent some time in Wales (Anglesey was wonderful), and has one or two trips to London. The latter was a nice place to visit (museums! MUSEUMS!), but I wouldn't want to live there.

I have spent some time in other parts of England, but I paid absolutely no attention to which bit it was. Somewhere in the middle with lots of fields. Was very sunny. I enjoyed it. Usually though England was just an inconveniently long stretch of time that had to be endured on the way to France.

I've been around most of Scotland of course, but I don't really count it as a holiday unless I cross a border or open water. Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, these are excursions, not holidays.

Yeah, I can see that. I like Edinburgh more than most other cities. Inverness tries to do something similar, but Stirling does it better. The castle on one side and the monument on the other, both surrounded by mountains and facing each other across the valley floor. Tis rather special.

And the monument acts as a very handy beacon for miles around. *cough* drunkflatmates.

Dragoon:

There is a curious apocryphal story that Berwick is (or recently was) technically at war with Russia. The story tells that since Berwick had changed hands several times, it was traditionally regarded as a special, separate entity, and some proclamations referred to "England, Scotland and the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed". One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". However, when the Treaty of Paris (1856) was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out. This meant that, supposedly, one of Britain's smallest towns was officially at war with one of the world's mightiest powers

I'd be interested to watch that.  I found an article on The Times website possibly about it.  I love this quote:

Ah yes, the car. Well, I was most impressed with the ride, but this, I think, has more to do with the quality of the roads down there in the West Country. Here, in England, we have to spend our money housing Albanian families while their breadwinner is away in a prison that we also paid for. Whereas in Cornwall they think Albania is some kind of skin disease, so they can afford to iron every ripple in every road every morning.

I can see Cornwall from where I live now, its a great place.