FED2k: The Game

Mahdi

Hey all,

I think that one of the reasons all these games everyone trys to make fail is because people are thinking too big.  So what about a game that can be made quickly, and easily?  A basic, low graphics, short levelled, side scrolling game?  Maybe one based on FED2k's history, as celebration of it's tenth year?  Each level can be made by a different person, who can take whatever liberties they want with them (assuming they still follow the fed2k forum rules...) and still follow the idea of a short, quick, easy to make game that takes an afternoon or two to program a level, not a lifetime.  The idea being more to just have fun playing a game in the FED2k verse than to make some groundbreaking incredible game.

Here's what I've knocked up so far.Very simple, basic side scrolling game.  At the start of each level/minigame there will be a voice over giving the history of the site as it applies to the level/minigame.  Levels will be released as they are finished, regardless of whether they are the next level or not.  Everything will be open source so anyone can create and add new levels.

Ideas:

You submit your username and become a new member of the site.  You rise in prestige and rank until you become the Maha Gobbie.  Levels include:

- Flame Wars.  As a new member you're young, impetious, and prone to flame wars.  So grab those flam throwers and fry your opponents before they fry you!  At the end of the level you recieve a 2 week ban for flaming.

- Fan Fiction (between Flame Wars and PRP):  You've decided to check out the Fan Fiction forums, but beware, it's full of zombies, opossums, and many other creatures straight out of the fan fiction pages.  If you make it to the end of the level you'll be crowned FED2k Survivor.

- PRP You've matured in your time away from the forum and realized the error of your ways.  Now, you're ready to visit that most dangerous of all forums, the PRP.  Avoid the lava, report the flaming posters, and dodge seemingly random goldfish that are rapidly growing in number

- Dodge the Goldfish.  Goldfish have infested the forum!  If you touch a goldfish you are hurt.  Touch too many, and you're dead.  Move too slowly and you won't make it to the bunker before Gob flushes them all downt he toilet forever.... 

- E:BFD.  No longer a newbie, you're now on your way to becoming a well respected member of the forum.  FED2k has been named the official E:BFD forums, and with this title comes a sudden influx of new members, each of whom are as bad as you once were.  Survive the onslaught of newbies and spam while collecting the few interesting and topical posts left.  Your goal:  Collect enough of those posts to be considered for the Landsraad, a new organization on the frum containing all the old, respected members.

- Gob's Gone (between E:BFD and The Landsraad):  Gob's gone for the weekend and FED2k is having a party.  It's your chance to make a name for yourself by stealing Mahdi's compromising photos while he and everyone else are busy having fun.  Avoid the goldfish, spam, and random Fed2k players and sneak around mahdi without being caught to steal his pictures and end his rule of tyranny.

- Defeat the Landsraad.  The Stapler was voted in instead of you, despite all your posts!  It's obviously a corrupt group.  You must get through the entire level, defeating several members of the landsraad, avoiding random surviving goldfish. and, finally, fight the big bad, the stapler.  At the end you will triumph and the Landsraad will be disbanded.

- View the Dungeon.  Now that the landsraad is gone, what about there special priviliges?  You must hurry to the end of the level, avoiding goldfish, spam, and joe blotinaik in a certain amount of time in order to earnt he privilige of finally being able to see what is in the dungeon.

- Escape the Dungeon.  Now that you've finally got in Gob's dungeon, it is time to escape it!  Escape from Gob's Dungeon while avoiding all the other members that are there trying to eat you.

- Forum Moderator:  It's time to select a new forum moderator, and to prove you're up to the job you must delete all the spam, ban all the flamers, hide from the Goldfish, and collect all the random topics and deposit them in the correct forum (you run around the level collecting topic that are general, game, duniverse, prp and then deposit them in the right boxf or each forum).  If you suceed in this mission you may well become the next forum moderator.

- Staff Member: With the announcement of the new Dune Movie Gob needs to select a new staff member.  You want the job, but to get it you've got to prove yourself.  You're in a race with a few other FED2k members to collect the most news articles in a certain amount of time while avoiding all the usual suspects (goldfish, spam, etc.)  If you win you'll be in!

- A Storm is Coming:  Not jsut content with being A staff member, you must become THE staff member.  That means it's time to take out the other staff members, one by one.  First up:  Nema. 

Bonus Minigames:

Each feature you playing as a member of FED2k.

Mahdi and the Quest for the Hat - Side scroller

-You are Mahdi and are on a quest to get the hat you are owed by Gob.  Along the way you must dodge goldfish, collect news articles, and delete spam. 

Tanks Vs. Infantry

A pong like game where you can choose to be either Edric or Shaddam.  Edric wants tanks to be in Arrakis2k, Shadam wants all infantry.  First to five wins.  Well, kinda.  It all comes to nothing becasue the game doesn't get made anyway.

Dante vs. the New Dune - Side scroller

You are Dante on a mission to destroy every trace of the new Dune Novels.  You spend the level destroying copies of each of the books and avoiding the new books defenders.  You have to destroy a certain number of the novels before you can fight the big bad, Dunenewt.  If you win the new dune novels are lost forever  If you lose they become more popular and better selling than the bible.

DuneNewt vs. the Talifans - Things falling from the sky and you must collect them game

You are Dunenewt on a mission to protect the new dune novels from the Evil Dante, who is intent on destryong them.  You must collect copies of each of them as they fall from the sky and deposit them in the nearest bookstore while avoiding "Talifans".  Once you collect enough books you must fight and defeat Dante himself.  Everytime a talifan hits you you lose a certain number of books.  If you lose too many books you lose the game and the dune novels are lost forever.

I've made a game before and my brother thinks it's really fun, we actually play it regularly.

Perhaps there should be different characters: (examples)

Gob - After his "gauge" is charged, he can eat an enemy and gain life.

KGA (IE. Me) - I can absorb enemies and blow out ghosts.

Dante - he is accompanied by dust scouts.

Sneakgab - he can become invisible for a short amount of time.

Remember people, these are just suggestions, So for example, if you don't like these abilities, make up your own.

Also, perhaps this should be a fighting game?

Then things are getting complicated again.  Things have to be kept super simple and easy.  Maybe that way it would avoid past problems.  But, Kirby, if you actually ahve an idea for a level (or minigame where you play an existing fed2k personage) no one will stop you from making it, as long as you keep everyone informed, especially teh person in it.  Maybe you could do a fighting game where you can pick what fed2k personage you want to be and fight others? 

I love the chronology, and I can think of several other important events that could be made into levels or could make cameo appearences:

1. The original announcement by Delphi that "a storm is coming" - the first hint that Emperor:BFD was in production - which quickly degenerated into a flame war between Edric and Shaddam on whether Westwood made good or bad RTS games.

2. The very first nostalgia thread about the "good old days." Now the thread itself is seven years old, much longer than the time between the founding of FED2k and the creation of the thread.

3. The "Top 1000 Ways to Tell You Are Too Into Dune" thread and its bizzare demise at the hands of faulty forum software.

4. The legendary Religion thread which led to the creation of PRP.

5. Dunesday.

6. Kwisatz Haderach and the beginning of Emperor mods.

7. The struggle between Navaros and the rest of the world, particularly pizza.

8. Emprworm vs. Edric O in PRP - the numerous capitalism vs. communism debates.

9. Gunwounds vs. Dante, the debates about the existence of God.

10. Dunenewt's Posting Revolution and the return of member ranks.

...and I was actually thinking of running a short D&D game called "Gob's Dungeon," where all the creatures and events would be based in some way on FED2k history.

I have a good idea for a minigame:

KGA (aka me) vs. Gob - KGA has to avoid gob trying to send KGA to the dungeon (due to the constant use of the word gay or g@y) or Gob is hungry and he tries to eat him, until Kirby and gotenks come and then KGA fuses with them at the end and "all of them" fight gob.

another minigame:

KGA (aka me) vs. Sneakgab and Edrico, KGA tries to sneak up to them to either absorb them or Mind control them with his Psionic Overlord powers. KGA must remain unnoticed by them and if he is caught, you engage in a battle (or lose?).

I don't think the game should be THAT simple, when I made this game (called Azorias), I added lots of stuff, Eg. A certain character could make an illusion, a character that could shoot out a ball of energy that could be controlled, summons, and if I wanted to, I could make holds/stuns. I also made items. Still, there should be a limit to how "far" the game should go.