Confirmed!! New big budget DUNE movie in the works.

jasonspaz

Well, if I remember right Kingdom of Heaven was pretty long....so maybe he won't be afraid to make this into a 3-hour movie.  I'd be more than okay with that.  If people can sit through a 3-hour adaptation of LOTR and love it, I think it can happen with Dune.

I keep seeing a 2009 tentpole film, but they don't have any writers yet... bad sign.  Hopefully they'll push the release date back and not rush the productions.

Anyone else notice that John Harrison, writer and director of the mini, writer of CoD mini, and executive producer on both miniseires, as well as rubestien, who also exec produced both miniseries' are both exec producing this film?  I wonder if they'll have any input into it, or if it's jsut a title/money due to rights issues.

BTW, Tin Man knocked the Dune Miniseries' down a notch on the most watched sci-fi channel list.

Hmm... sci-fi channel shows... harrison and rubenstien... new dune movie... two past attempts by those producers to make a dune tv series in the last 7 years... what corporation owns paramount now?  It didn't used to be GE, but that may have changed... makes one think, doesn't it?

A tent pole film is a studio's major release of the year.  Each studio usually has 2-4 of them.  They're the super expensive, super big blockbusters that the entire companies fate relies upon.  Think Indiana Jones this may.

Sci-fi is owned by NBC (which is owned by General Electric), not viacom.  Still it's fairly common for shows produced by one company to be bought by another network.

Herbert's Dune, originally published in 1965, spawned five sequels written by the author; since his death in 1986, Herbert's son Brian has co-written a number of prequels and sequels with Kevin J. Anderson. Naturally, if things go the way they're supposed to, Paramount wouldn't mind adapting the lot of them; as Variety puts it, the studio "envisions the project as a tentpole film," and certainly has an eye toward turning it into a franchise.

From Rotten Tomatoes.

Latest news from the Official Messageboards, a post from Bryon Merritt (emphasis is from original post):

I can't give out a lot of information because they are still building the movie from the ground up. What I can tell you is that "we" haven't hired anyone to do the script. That'll be up to the production studio.

The budget ...er ...I wish I could tell you! But I can't give numbers. Watch IMDB for information that'll probably be coming soon.

Kevin and Brian are co-producers' date=' yes, just as it says in the Variety article.

[i']Co-Producer Defined: A Co-producer is typically a Line Producer who has also performed a substantial portion of the creative producing function. Alternatively, they may be the lead Producer from another production company that is co-producing the film, or a partner or corporate officer from the production entity producing the film. In rare cases, a Co-producer may also be the person who optioned, developed or packaged the project. In all instances, Co-producers are subordinate to the Producer.

I'm a bit excited but reserved as well. With it's inaccuracies, I enjoyed Lynch's version. With it's inaccuracies, I did not like Sci-fi's Miniseries. I can be a good boy, and using my brain say "well, I hope they get a good writer", but then there's the Dune side of me that says "fuck a script writer; use the god damned book, or don't make the movie!" I suppose we can expect to see a reissue of the original book with some unmachable actor on the front of it once the movie comes out :(.

With it's inaccuracies, I enjoyed Lynch's version. With it's inaccuracies, I did not like Sci-fi's Miniseries.

The miniseries was way more accurate than the movie... Because they had 5.5 (? ) hours instead of 2.

weirding modules. lol.

The miniseries was way more accurate than the movie... Because they had 5.5 (? ) hours instead of 2.

weirding modules. lol.

Yes, on some fronts (technology and battle) it could be considered more accurate. but it did have inaccuracies. And yet even with reduced inaccuracies, I still liked it less.

I prefer the mini over the lynch film (and the Messiah part of CoD above all, that was really well done) but one thing I found interesting was that the dialogue in the lynch version is mroe accurate than in the mini.  The mini seemed to make random, bizarre changes to the dialogue while Lynch's film kept it intact.

Mahdi, we only saw the Alan Smithee version of the film; you can't really make a judgement on that.  Besides, you probably couldn't see much of it through the tears you were crying over me whupping you at darts.

Hard to believe as it may be Adrian, but I have, on rare occasions, watched movies without you.

I know, you're shocked, saddened, and feeling a little rejected, but it's the truth.  Better you hear it from me now than later from someone else.

Hard to believe as it may be Adrian, but I have, on rare occasions, watched movies without you.

I know, you're shocked, saddened, and feeling a little rejected, but it's the truth.  Better you hear it from me now than later from someone else.

That's.  Not.  True.  WhywouldyousaysuchathingyoursomeanandIHATEYOUImsorryItakeitback.

Besides, you told me when we watched the Smithee version you hadn't seen the movie in forever.