Dune renaissance?

Dunenewt

We won't know until a dune movie and game are confirmed and begin production :P

Otherwise I doubt anything will change.

I havn't heard of much more about new dune books either. But I'm sure they will find something to release. Since they seem to release a new book every year.

Oh, I havn't kept up with what books they are releasing.

On a good note, when my power was out for 5 days, I found time to read Battle for Corrin.

Previously I only made it to page 22 back when it was released 3 years ago or whenever.

This time I enjoyed it a lot more than I would have before, since I had forgotten exact details on what was going on. But I knew that the authors would repeat what happened in the other 2 books so I knew what was going on. A couple good parts in the book, and a couple bad parts that had me skipping paragraphs because they were describing pointless stuff.

It left me with questions about what happened with omnious and Erasmus. I presume these questions are answered in detail in Dune 7+8 (simply because the authors love to describe everything possible, even if it is pointless and boring).

I know some basic stuff about what happens in Dune 7+8, but I presume it explains how they got to be where they are at the start of Dune 7 from the end of Battle for Corrin.

With the Paul of Dune trilogy, does this mean they are writing about when Paul is on dune? After original Dune or before? The title is confusing. wiki answered my questions about it.

My girlfriend has bought me Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune for V-Day, so expect my opinion on those books by the weekend.

If a new movie is released by Paramount, I think it would be a big budget well made film that would attract a lot of attention to the whole Dune franchise.  A game would do the same, and hopefully all this would encourage people to read the books.

As most people dislike the new books, or at least after what I have heard in the official dune forum, I wouldn't count on it.

They are entertaining enough to read, but are big dissapointments compared to FH's work. It wasn't that bad with the prequels or legends-series, but since Dune 7 and 8 are continuations on the story(not universe) FH began, you would have bigger expectations for it. Personally I feel that many of the FH's characters in the two new books, are not the same FH described.

I wouldn't say most people dislike the new books, that can't be backed up.  They might not be as good as Frank's original work, but people are reading them, which is the main point, so if people are reading them, they are going to be more likely to discuss them, and as criticism is banned just about on the official message board, then I suppose people are going to be more likely to discuss them on this board, and in that way they'll find out about Dune films, games etc.

I can't say I get the impression that critisism is banned at the official forum  ???

If people don't like the books, I doubt they would be interesseted in discussing them. But the new books are selling to another segement than the previous ones. I think FH's last three, were somewhat for specially interesed.

Well...you'd hope so.  It is the best Dune forum around.  We should try and keep on top of any new information concerning the new Dune movie, and get it posted, that way people are more likely to come.

Just think, if a Dune movie gets mainstream appeal, then we'll all be the experts on the subject.

if they read dune and liked it, and wanted to discuss it, they would allready be here.

At least one from there came and left. Not sure about the biggest difference with official boards, maybe simply that FED2k doesn't have dozens of threads with "for-everyone" chit-chat (not within Dune topics). You might need to be into the serious topic already to be here for Dune things (or get to know the people).

I can't say I get the impression that critisism is banned at the official forum

I saw the forum at the very beginning and it was all "pro-prequelsss! vs. pro-classicsss!" atmosphere. So they've separated the two crowds.

At least one from there came and left. Not sure about the biggest difference with official boards, maybe simply that FED2k doesn't have dozens of threads with "for-everyone" chit-chat (not within Dune topics). You might need to be into the serious topic already to be here for Dune things (or get to know the people).

I saw the forum at the very beginning and it was all "pro-prequelsss! vs. pro-classicsss!" atmosphere. So they've separated the two crowds.

I noticed most people there were pro-classics, most people there also don't like sandworms and hunters of dune. But I guess you get that impression, since those people are the ones posting most.

Why ever not?

That would make it a popular thing, and that would turn it into another Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I wonder how people would treat Dune from then on (better than just being ignorant or indifferent of its existence?), and how people would make spin-offs based on this. Attention from being good and that from being popular lead to very bad results, even though 'good' and 'popular' are not mutually exclusive.

Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.

You guy's really need to stop worryign so much about this Dune movie.

there isn't one.

We have a no name director who says he wants to make one after he finishes making a Tom Cruise movie.  A movie which Tom Cruise knows nothign about because, by his own admission, the director hasn't managed to arrange a meeting to pitch it to him.

Dune by Peter Berg is a fantasy project planned for after another fantasy project.

That means nothing.  Pretty much every semi-popular book ever written has sold the films rights to one company or another.  And they've been in negotiations for this new game for at least five years.  I bet that Universal's rights are finally expiring and the Herbert Partnership is trying to re-sell them.  Plus, they've been quite adament in the past that they want to get the prequels made into a movie before Dune (which is fair enough, they're more adaptable to begin with), so even if we get a Dune movie it may not be the right Dune movie.

Until a major studio actually says that they are entering pre-production on a Dune film this is a non-story. 

Hmm...I'm not giving up hope just yet, just because its appeared on quite a few websites, so there must be some kind of truth behind it...I hope.

To be honest, I can see the prequels making good movies, but it would be a shame if they came out before Dune.