Dune renaissance?

Dunenewt

Surely Battlestar Galactica would be a better comparison?

I haven't seen it :P In any case, I'm not looking forward to a prequel-based movie. Or, to be honest, to any Dune-based movie at all.

The more time passes, the more I like Lynch's Dune.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

The thinking machines in BSG possess human bodies, which the humans cannot detect are machines. It is the same in Dune, at first they cannot detect whether they are face dancers or not. Only when they are dead, they show their true nature.

In addition many of the thinking machines doesn't even realize that they are non-human. I get the impression that some face dancers also get carried away, forgetting who they really are.

The thinking machines in BSG possess human bodies, which the humans cannot detect are machines. It is the same in Dune, at first they cannot detect whether they are face dancers or not. Only when they are dead, they show their true nature.

In addition many of the thinking machines doesn't even realize that they are non-human. I get the impression that some face dancers also get carried away, forgetting who they really are.

The theme of human-like machines and the possibility of androids possessing humanity is widespread in sci-fi works. I think Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep goes here as well.

And yes, the Face Dancers in Heretics were made so close to perfection they could really become the people they were supposed to impersonate.

I am aware that this idea is widespread. But please read what I said in this post, and you probably see the similarities between the thinking machines in BSG and the new face dancers in Dune:

Well, some androids in Philip Dick's novel also don't realize they're not human. What's wrong with that?

Face Dancers were created specifically to mimic other people with the potential to replace them. I don't know about BSG androids/thinking machines, but the androids in Dick's novel were created as laborers, if memory serves well.

EDIT: I'll make myself clear. Rachel from Dick's novel thought she was human, not an android. The Face Dancer who replaced High Priest Tuek in Heretics actually became High Priest Tuek, inheriting all his memories and acting like the real one would do. I think the similarity between the two cases is quite vague. However, I repeat that I am not familiar with the BSG thinking machine concepts, so maybe you're right and I'm not.

I do not see the relevance with your example, other than this one similarity.

The thinking machines in BSG are infiltrating humans, just like the face dancers. Please watch the show, and you will see what I mean.

So to sum up, we got three similarities, which are quite specific:

1. They infiltrate humans

2. They are sometimes not aware that they acctually are machines/face dancers

3. Their true nature cannot be detected by humans

This is not a general idea found in many sci-fi stories!

Exactly. They could not be reverted back to Face Dancer state, and did not respond to the Masters' whistling command language.

This is not a general idea found in many sci-fi stories!

I have partially misunderstood your post, as I paid more attention to the whole "humanity" part (humans questioning their humanity, androids willing to obtain it), which is a general problem of almost any discussion involving the creation of artificial intelligence, but talking about robots looking like humans that are used to infiltrate human societies is relevant to my first example with the Terminator, which is exactly such kind of robot.

There is a picture in his post, it just takes absolutely ages to load.

I haven't seen the new series.  What was wrong with the robotic cylons then?  Does it mention what happened to them?  Or is it like the Klingons in Star Trek, how they changed from The Original Series to The Next Generation.