Battle for Dune: War of Assassins

TeamWolf

First, let me tell you that I think this is awesome!

Secondly, some suggestions. I haven't read all of the updates on your site (did see some videos of ingame verhicles, good work!) so just ignore me when I tread on somethign that has already been adressed.

I think that leaving out the Guild entirely would be the wisest thing. They only had two units in the RTS, a mutated larva/human and a verhicle manned by one.. The Tleilaxu units depicted in the RTS game wouldn't fit in, either. Not from the game, but probably fun in a FPS: Face Dancers (genetically engineered humans capable of changing appearance and shape, thus perfect mimics and covert agents)

The Fremen and Sardaukar could be fitted in almost seamlessly.

About IX, I always thought that the projectors were a bit silly - hollow duplicates that vanish when shot at even once, but wich can dish out real damage? I think that a unit wich can cast optic illusions while moving and firing would be a more sensible unit for an FPS, though I don't know if that's feasonable with Renegade.

Thank you for the positive feed back ;)

Well we hadn't spoken about the guild but you do hold a strong point. The face dancers can be done, the fremen and sadukar are defo in the game. As for the holo tanks the IX have can be done, more and more is being done with the renegade engine these days, so i like that idea lot. Thanks for the comments, they will be discussed and from what i see, try to be used the best we can!

If you do end up making campaigns, the Guild can be part of the missions, of course. In fact the campaigns should end with an Emperor Worm mission.

Here's another random idea: You know how killing a person with a tiberium-based weapon in Renegade has a chance of turning them into a visceroid, right? Well, you can use that to implement Tleilaxu Contaminators in BfD! Just give them a melee weapon that kills any other infantry unit in one shot and has a 100% chance of producing a computer-controlled Contaminator. :)

Ah I was just wondering.  Perhaps you could use some of the campaign music, instead of the skirmish music.  A few minor questions, will spice be a resource which runs out, or will it regrow, or just not disappear?  Will there be aerial units in the game?

Yup, it shall dissappear, in the first release. Because we do not expet this to be an instant success, we assume we wont have many players at a given time, so spice will not regrow. However, depending on popularity, the second release will contain regrowing spice with the ability to build multiple bases. Ariel units are not a guarentee for the first release.

I should have mentioned this on firday..

Update 20 is out..

http://www.battlefordune.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=207&view=getnewpost

Welcome! It's good to have you here.

Well, there are going to be 3 campaigns for the three Houses, so I assume they will each use a different character.

For House Atreides, I think the obvious choice for a campaign character is Duncan Idaho.

For House Harkonnen it's a bit trickier, since we have less characters to choose from. I think Feyd-Rautha is the only viable option.

For House Ordos we have no characters from the novels at all, and all the Ordos characters shown in the games are leaders and commanders, not fighters. Therefore we have no choice but to invent a character from scratch. In keeping with the Ordos theme, I suggest giving him a codename and never revealing his true name. For instance, you could call him "Operative 17."

Edit: I would also suggest that the three campaigns should have different themes and mission types depending on the style of each house. The Harkonnens should get a lot of chances to use vehicles and heavy armour and perform large-scale military operations on open ground. The Atreides should spend time in the desert among the fremen and lead bands of infantry - including fremen - in guerilla attacks. The Ordos should focus a lot on infiltration, sabotage and gathering information, and the Ordos campaign should involve a lot of sneaking around in enemy buildings and bases.

Well, there are going to be 3 campaigns for the three Houses, so I assume they will each use a different character.

For House Atreides, I think the obvious choice for a campaign character is Duncan Idaho.

For House Harkonnen it's a bit trickier, since we have less characters to choose from. I think Feyd-Rautha is the only viable option.

For House Ordos we have no characters from the novels at all, and all the Ordos characters shown in the games are leaders and commanders, not fighters. Therefore we have no choice but to invent a character from scratch. In keeping with the Ordos theme, I suggest giving him a codename and never revealing his true name. For instance, you could call him "Operative 17."

Could always use the Dune 2000 method, and make up names, because after a bit of thinking I don't think Duncan and the Ordos should be in the same game, what do you think?  Obviously don't make the names too obvious, like Gurney Idaho, but you get the idea.

Could always use the Dune 2000 method, and make up names, because after a bit of thinking I don't think Duncan and the Ordos should be in the same game, what do you think?  Obviously don't make the names too obvious, like Gurney Idaho, but you get the idea.

Hmmm, yes, perhaps that would be best. Anyone care to suggest Dunish-sounding names for the Atreides and Harkonnen characters?

What about an Atreides commando called Connor Iowa? ;)

There can be only one! ;D

I'd say it definitely does. It definitely has the right look and feel; the only problem I can think of is that it seems to have too much open ground. There should be more rock outcrops and caves, as well as abrupt dunes that you can't really climb.

Rock outcroppings... think of those rocky bits in Emperor where vehicles can't go, and infantry gets armour advantages.

Cover is key.  Your maps should have tons of it.  It will add visual detail to your maps as well, making the landscape look much more volatile and wastelandey.