Battle for Dune: War of Assassins

TeamWolf

Yes, Vanguard is right. You can also use some of the large rock formations in Emperor (you know, the big ones that nothing can pass over) as your models for the kind of cover you should create.

And of course don't forget to add natural caves and tunnels. It may be possible, for example, to reach an enemy base through a cave leading up from the foot of the rock plateau that the base is located on.

The maps should be expansive... since it's Dune that we're talking about here. But the active parts of the map could contain a lot of props like tank traps and trenches. These could be used as cover, as had been mentioned earlier. Or they could be destructible props.

Also, maps based on popular locations from the film/books would be interesting as well (we can help you with this if you haven't seen/read them).  I for one would love to see a level around the breached area of the Shield Wall (with Leto's tomb nearby?), the Attendant/Mount Idaho, or even a level taking place in the streets of Carthag, or near an ecological testing station.

Hmmwell please feel free to PM pictures guys, but please give detail and explain what the pictures are and such, and yes are going for big maps with lots of cover. If you could supply us with more info and pictures it would be much easier, thanks :D

(sorry for double post)

Sorry for the late feed on our latest update but here it is.

Aydnybek has made a destroyed version of the Harkonnen turret

harkonnengunturretdestrtv1.jpg

and he has also made a new bullet catridge!

bulletcatridge2ap4.jpg

bulletcatridge3ko8.jpg

I have been working on a smallish low tech map, but more on that next week ;)

Well atm we are trying to deside weather to have destroyed models (so they are there when a base defence has been destroyed, or to have rebuildable buildings (so you have some form of a purchase bottum and everytime you access it, it will take your credits to go towards a new base defence). But we might just have destroyed models in the first release.

P.S. Did you get my e-mail?

I don't know... we don't want games to drag on forever. In Renegade, you nearly always have to destroy the base defences before you can have any hope of winning. If the defences could be rebuilt, I don't see how any team could ever win. Although I suppose you could allow rebuilding only on the few special maps that have a Construction Yard, and destroying the Con Yard would put an end to rebuilding.

On another note, have you thought of implementing the superweapons? If so, how are you going to handle them? The Death Hand is straightforward enough, but the other two are a bit tricky. You could make it so that the Hawk Strike erases all the ammo held by enemy troops and vehicles in a certain area, forcing them to run back to their base to reload. That would simulate the Hawk Strike effect quite nicely. As for the Chaos Lightning, I suppose it could make enemy players temporarily lose control as their troops and vehicles start shooting each other, but I'm not sure if that's feasible with the engine.

No, that would be too weak... How about temporarily transferring control over the buildings in its area of effect (including any turrets and base defences) to the enemy? This would be most useful on the turrets, since you could make a turret fire into its own base. But it would also allow an invading army to reload and have vehicles delivered in the middle of the enemy base.

Well its what happened in the RTS. but RTS doesn't always work in FPS, so its something that is very much up for discussion. But i like both ideas, power going down is just taking out main base defences tbh (but not all) but i think changing the buildings would take alot of scripting. But we'll see.

Well, if you do decide to just make the Chaos Lightning take down power, you could give it a really, really long range, so that players could place the beacon far outside the enemy base and still have it work. That might balance things.

(also, low power doesn't just incapacitate base defences, it also makes all purchases more expensive)

Not sure we want that though, but prosb will add it. And we don;t want superweapons to be too OP because that would kill gameplay, but if you place the beacon just outside the base, it could knock out the front buildings like the defences for awhile.