What hardware are you going to buy in 2007?

• 3 weeks later...

I find it a bit irritating that the content on the screen doesn't fit the buttons/labeling. so either you hold it vertical and can read everything on the screen but have he buttons and labels turned or you have them correct but the screen  is turned.

but apart from that it looks nice  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bought Cyber Acoustics 6-Piece Subwoofer & Satellite Speaker System (CA-5001RB)

On sale and only $50. So very cheap.

Only worry is that subwoofer is not magnetically shielded. Manual says 2 feet away from monitor, computer, disks, tv etc is a safe distance. I have it on floor under desk near feet and is pretty far away from everything (my desk walls should block some of the magnetic interference). Anything to worry about with subwoofer with no magnetic shielding? Any precautions? Is the louder the bass/subwoofer, the more magnetic interference? I presume the magnetic thing is a more long term problem?

It says satellite speakers are shielded which is good :P

I've got a 2.1 Altec Lansing system with a nice duel subwoofer system. However I connected 2 very large Aiwa stereo speakers each 3 way, sub, mid,high with 12" woofers each. I replaced the cheesy little tweeters that came with the system with those large speakers and omg, with the sound card I have this thing will rock beyond belief. I actually had the police come to my house once while playing BF2 because a neighbor heard gunshots at my house.

ok i got my screen last thursday  ;D

its a Samsung 940b Black

http://www.shout.com.hk/samsung/940B_2.jpg

this is the only good picture i can find atm, but its the silver version  :-[

anyways, move up from my ageing 17"samsung 765mb screen is astonishing..

looking at my 17" now...oouwwchhh!! the picture looks blurred and oldish...

this new screen is sharp and really really BRIGHT!!!!!!  in fact everyone in my house has said something about it..' turn it down etc, you dont wanna wear it out so fast etc..'

but with 3 years warranty..and at its default settings i dont think i can go wrong, ill just exploit the warranty just before it expires,  done and done :)

the best thing about this pos is now i dont have to touch the screen position/size controls anymore sawwweeeett ;)

oy scar,  what sorta sound card u got/gettn?

I really wish there was something like this:

a mainboard with onboard graphics and dvi which you can control like this: if you put in a videocard (for gaming) you can choose in some kind of small tool whether you want to use the onboard graphics or the videocard. if you choose the onboard solution, the cideocard would autmatically deactivate itself so that it doesn't need any energy. of course you have to connect both outputs with your monitor... but this would really be a great solution. I'm currently really unhappy because I don't want to put an energy-hungry videocard like the 8800gtx in my computer when I use it 90% of the time for something else than gaming 3d games...

maybe I really have to buy some mini-itx board for some small work and stuff like email, irc, browser, poker... but then again I also need another hdd, memory, cpu... and of course a kvm-switch (and the ones with dvi are really expensive, especially if it has to support high resolutions (about 200

just got my Logitech G5 Laser mouse,

its a lot more responsive and customisable than my old MX510

seems logitech 'upgraded' the g5' specifications,and colour scheme..

the mouse i was expecting was a 500hz 2000 dpi red black and silver mouse..

the mouse i got is a 1000hz 2000dpi blue and black mouse (blue patterns)

its got some case with  a heap of 1.7g and 4.5g lithium battery style weights that you put into a cartridge and slot the cart into the underside of the mouse for balance etc, quite a nice touch, and useful if you use your mouse for other purposes other than just gaming..

If you dont like logitech however, the only other mouse id use is the M$ Explorer V3..

This is not exactly PC hardware, but my new hardware nevertheless. I have the red n white n black one and the white with black stripes, this will complete the collection...

229332.jpg

104254460_lg.jpg

"Charvel

The inventor of modern guitar is back with Charvel! The Charvel EVH Art Series Guitar is based on Eddie Van Halen's original Frankenstein guitar. Designed by the master himself for mind-blowing neck-tapping solos. Custom-striped basswood body outfitted with a special-wound EVH humbucker and Floyd Rose Original locking vibrato. Single tone knob and Van Halen-favored compound-radius bolt-on maple fretboard/neck give this Art Series Guitar unparalleled playability.

Jackson's compound-radius fingerboard on the Charvel EVH guitar curves more dramatically at the nut for easy chording, and flattens out as it approaches the neck joint for low-action bends without fretting out. With a more relaxed hand, you'll play better!"

gonna grab a pair of WD Raptors soon,

my intention is to make a raid using both drives as one, and run my os and intensive games on it..

as i only have 1g of memory and cant upgrade it yet without replacing the 2x512twinx with 2x1g,

i know the raptors perform very well, but im wondering if its worth the price:performance to offset the lack of ram for a while... coz the drives are not cheap ,

what do yas think?  is it worth using a striped 2x40g raptor, or should i spend it on other crap? or use them as seperate drives?

gryph, am i looking at the screen? or the misc? :P

scar, omg... thats where the 5150 came from?? i can only guess where u got that scar from now...

eid: the raptors are worth the price. they are expensive, but they are very good too. I have one running in my system myself. a friend of mine has two of them running in a raid system and that's even faster. but: they won't compensate a lack of memory if a programm/system needs a lot. so upgrading your memory is the next step. if I were you I would buy 1 raptor and instead of a second one I would upgrade to 2gb (and sell the 2x512 on ebay)...

so upgrading your memory is the next step. if I were you I would buy 1 raptor and instead of a second one I would upgrade to 2gb (and sell the 2x512 on ebay)...

One new hard disk and extra memory will help you more then a RAID set of drives. Although that depends on what system you have and the game. And if the game runs from your harddrive or not. And then I presume your motherboard already supports RAID 0. If not don't buy the controller and buy memory...

most of my specs are in a previous post in this thread..

the games i guess that i would throw on those hd's would be bf2 fear company of heroes etc, mostly intensive memory filling,hdd crunching games..eg not emp :P

i've already tried goin 4x 512 corsair twinx, and i dont think my pc was very partial to that :/

it ran, but not without issues..

well even tho the board has some excuse for a raid controller, im not 1 to use or endorse onboard 'solutions'

so to that end ill grab some Promise controller, that way i know it gets done properly..

no sense spending 300+ and using them on some kinda 'free' 'controller'..

the rams gonna cost me tho.. 2x1024 is at $399 and geil wants $320 hmmm...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...