What Video card to buy?

I want to buy a new video card of 256 MB. I have two options.

-

GeForce 6800XTreme 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE

256MB DDR3 memory in PCIExpress format, works at 1Ghz

Includes SLI technology of Nvidia

-

256MB XFX GFORCE FX6500 PCI-EXPRESS DDR2 TV-OUT

256MB DDR2

Interface type:  Video - 15 pin High-Density

D-shell (VGA),

Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video),

Video - DVI-I (Digital & Analog)

PCI-Express x16

RAMDAC Speed: 400 MHz

Effective Memory Clock Speed: 333 GHz

-

The first (which is the best) cost the triple of the second card.

So which one is the best in relation price-function?

In few words, what does the first card have that the second doesn't?

And how does the memory technology (DDR2 or DDR3)affects?  What is RAMDAC SPEED?

Plus I want one that supports HDR.

Simply put, neither support HDR and the 6500 is simply not meant for next generation gaming and even this generation is pushing it. If you want HDR support you need a card in the 1600 and higher range for ATI and 7600 and higher for NVIDIA.

But to answer which is best in relation to price and function you would have to give a quote as to how much they are costing, some video card manufacturers are still charging next-generation prices for last-generation hardware and I am sure we could find you some much better value for the same price.

don't buy a nvidia 6xxx series anymore. take a look at the 7xxx series - a 7600GT has a very good price/performance relation. if you are willing to spend more money get a 7900GT. just give us a hint how much money you want to spend.

Also, bear in mind that the graphics memory of the card isn't the only thing determining how good the card is anymore.

Some time ago, you could say to your friend: "I have a 32MB graphics card," and that was a very good indicator as to how good the card was.

Nowadays, 256MB tells you nothing. All decent cards have that amount of memory. But you always see the computer advertisements speaking of 256MB graphics memory, often without even mentioning the brand and type of the card....

Anyway, those two cards there aren't good enough, I'd say. The cards are pre-yesterday even.

You should go for a 7800GT or 7900GT. Personally, I'd not go for anything less than 7900GT.

And those cards are bang for buck too.

am getting geforce  6600gt 256mb  and belive me its good enough for any upcoming chalanges...

am not adivising just telling you what am getting at around 90$  i know some peapol using it

to playe bf2 on medium graphics with no problems..unless offcorce you have an extra 250$ in the bank to invade the great 7000 series... :-)

The 6600GT card is by no means good enough for upcoming challenges, but it's just about good enough for today's games if you're not interested in more than average graphics.

It all boils down to what you demand. If you want good graphics, you pay for it.

The best and most expensive card you can get isn't better than just good enough to run the newest games on maxed out graphics.

The cheaper ones are just good enough to run today's games on average to poor graphics.

It's all up to you to choose.

If you want a card to run the newest games anything lower than a 7600 or a 1600XT pro is a bad investment, right now the most graphically advanced games you can play on a 6600gt with the settings maxed out are the chronicles of riddick and Far Cry, except in Riddick you have to disable soft-shadows or your framerate really takes a dive.

the 6600gt was a very good card with an awesome price/performance ratio about 1,5 years ago but the 7600gt took it place now. it costs as much as the 6600gt did back then and has a very good price/performance ratio. but I'd invest some more money and get a 7900gt. if you don't wanna do this, at least get the 7600.

I found another video card in chile, what do you say?

ATI RADEON X1600PRO 512MB PCI XPRESS. It cost US$305,34

- 512MB RAM DDR3 PCIe 16X

GeForce 6800XTreme 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI PCIE    cost US$234,73

256MB XFX GFORCE FX6500 PCI-EXPRESS DDR2 TV-OUT   cost US$95,41

Also how much better is the best one to second best one?

wtf those prices...  :O

the xfx geforce 6800xtreme e.g. is 134$ at newegg... see the difference? 100 bucks.

order somewhere over the internet, check ebay and international stores...

ATI RADEON X1600PRO 512MB PCI XPRESS. It cost US$305,34

- 512MB RAM DDR3 PCIe 16X

The price in Chile is $150.000 pesos, that mean 150.000*524= US$305,34.

I noticed that is cheaper here than in newegg, which cost $339.99