Leaving a computer on permanently

This isn't so much of a problem but more of a general question seeking advice on what would be the best way to extend the lifetime of my system/hardware, and keep it in good working order for as long as possible.

I've heard that it takes more energy to power on a computer from when it is completely off (not just in standby mode), and that it may be beneficial to leave a computer powered permanently (even when not in use), rather than turning it on and off frequently.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone here leave their computer on permanently, and what would you suggest between leaving a computer always on, and frequently turning it on and off?

it really depends on WHAT COMPUTER you want to keep running.

if you plan to keep your pc running, you start with the right shopping. you buy the right components (cpu / ram / (server)-hdds / the right power supply and you get the right cooling just from the beginning of your pc's lifecycle)

so now it shouldn't be a problem to keep the pc running all the time without having to fear that it's lifetime will be shorter.

but if you e.g. have an extremely powerful overclocked gaming machine, you don't want (and should) keep it running all the time. because it's often loud and disturbing, it needs a lot of power (energy bill will be THE surprise of the year  ;) ) and if the hardware is overclocked it usually don't lives that long (doesn't have to be like this, but the possibility of overclocked hardware having a shorter lifecycle is much higher)

if you have a notebook running (like I do) you surely just CAN'T keep it running all the time, because you have to travel and need to shut it down sometimes, sometimes it runs on its battery, sometimes with the power supply, sometimes you plug-in external hardwware and so on... so it's always on the move and just can't keep running all the time. Sometimes I keep mine running for 1-3 days but after that I defintely give it a break (even if it's just a few hours).

if you have bought a prebuilt machine and not built it yourself... I don't know if you should keep it running all the time. you possibly should at least make sure what hardware was built into that machine (what hdds, which power supply and check the temperatures and so on). my last machine I bought before beginning to built them myself wouldn't have been a good candidate for long time running. it became too hot (p4) in that small case, the hdd wasn't the best one so I had to fear it would crash someday if it was running 24/7.

actually - to answer part of the question - you mostly don't get to know what could have been better for your pc because you don't experience the whole lifecycle of your hardware. personally I don't care if my cpu, ram or gfx card last 12 years or just 7 because of extreme overclocking. because after 1-3 years I changed that part and got a new, sell the old at ebay and never get to know how many years it went finde after serving me  ;D

the most important thing imo are the hdds... the contain your data and are more important than any cpu or mainboard or whatever. so you really shouldn't spare your money when it comes to hdds... as long as they survive 24/7 usw... everything is fine  :)

I'm talking about a standard desktop computer, mainly used for gaming, editing, and browsing the Internet. When I refer to 'leaving the computer running', I'm referring to the periods when you leave the computer unattended and completely idle, but still powered. I usually just physically turn off the monitor and speakers, but don't touch anything on the computer tower.

None of my hardware has been overclocked. The motherboard, RAM, graphics card, and CPU are all still fairly new from a recent upgrade, the hard drive and disk drives were left untouched. I'd just like to note that I do periodic backups every 6-12 months (sometimes sooner, depending on the content and the circumstances).

The only time I notice somewhat of a heat increase on the side of the tower is when I run graphically demanding applications. If I'm just working within the windows desktop or browsing, then I don't really notice much heat at all.

If it helps, here are the system specs:

GA-K8VM800M motherboard

AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit CPU (operating at 1.81Ghz - not overclocked)

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB (not overclocked)

Seagate 80GB 7200rpm HDD

define the bios setting which is responsible for shutting down the pc if the cpu temperature exceeds value x

do some temperature monitoring to you hdd with speedfan tool

regularly make backups (80GB ain't that much...)

...and you should keep you pc running all day and night and don't have to worry about anything

2 things .. .

one . . . which OS do you use. . If it's Windows XP keep in mind that the OS is not designed to run permanently and will need reboots. . have memory leaks and such.

Second, theoretically turning your PC on and off causes damage to the hardware (more then leaving it on). so keeping it on is safer.

About extending the lifetime. . . to what. . . you are planning to use your computer after 2010 ? I have IBM PS2 computers that still work. . and no one wants to use them. So if you want to do it for that. . overclock your PC as it will still life upto the time you buy a new one..

I use Windows XP. I do reboot from time to time, but I don't completely power off the PC. As for the lifetime, I'll be happy if I can get 3-5 years at the most out of it without having to replace anything (excluding the hard drive or power supply). I expect my hardware configuration will have changed by 2010. ;) My main concern was what would wear the hardware out faster, leaving it powered on permanently or only turning it on when it's in use.

My main concern was what would wear the hardware out faster, leaving it powered on permanently or only turning it on when it's in use.

Nothing you do to it will wear it out before 2010 or within 5 years. . . nothing besides beathing it with a giant hamer. ..

I don't see how it is possible to leave a winxp computer on for extended periods of time unless it is a really fast computer. After 2 straight days of heavy use, my computer slows down (but its a p4 1.7, 512ram bad vid card).

Looks like you got a fast computer.

I would say to at least reboot it once a week after you defrag/disk cleanup/spywarecheck/ viruscheck.

dont u guys sleep??? sorry to say on my limeted  informations but dont u sleep man? turn it on when u weak up. turn it off when u sleep. save power and pc usage for 9 hours. it will give longer life

Yes I sleep, but that's beside the point. I don't use the computer all the time even when I'm awake, but I do use it very frequently. If I turn it on everytime I decide to use it, then turn it off as soon as I'm not going to use it for a few hours, I'd be turning it on and off at least several times a day.

Also, I think some people here don't quite realize what I mean by 'leaving the computer on permanently'. I'm talking about leaving the computer powered and on, with live electricity from the power point, regardless of whether or not it is being used, not leaving the windows session running without a reboot for an extended period of time.

As for defragging, spyware, viruses, and rebooting, I think I can confidently say that I have those areas covered to my satisfaction.  :)

well if you do sleep like a normal human (not like erjin the vampier) that is  8 or 9 hours

dont tell me that you weake up from ure sleep to use the pc frequently. at that point befor

u go to bed turn it off. thats more than 8 hours rest for the hardware. and when u weake up just

turn it on  and leave it untill the day is over, i do that :-

Okay, going to make this really easy. I have a Dell P3 that I always leave on. I upgraded from a 32mb graphics card to a 128, 128 ram to 512, I added three firewire ports, went from a shitty soundcard to a Soundblaster Live 5.1, and took the modem card out. I have too slots open in the back (where I took the modem card out and one I opened) and I've left my PC on for a good two years now - nothings gone wrong, despite having the same cooling system I got before the upgrades. A lot of my friends with my powerful systems do it as well - computers nowadays can handle it. Ten years ago it was a fallacy, now it's practical and logical, excluding the overclocked systems (which would be risking it too much).

well if you do sleep like a normal human (not like erjin the vampier) that is  8 or 9 hours

dont tell me that you weake up from ure sleep to use the pc frequently. at that point befor

u go to bed turn it off. thats more than 8 hours rest for the hardware. and when u weake up just

turn it on  and leave it untill the day is over, i do that :-

Spicy, maybe becuase your computer isnt connected to the internet always, its not so beneficial for you, but I can get my downloads going when I am asleep and peer-to-peer can be left on as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discover this interesting thread... I'm in this situation where I have a ThinkPad (1 year, no overclock) and wonder what will be the effect on it of letting it on:

- 24/7

- 24/7, standby when not used

- Only when used

- Close it 20 minutes after any 6-8 session of use (like a car, which engine likes to cool down in long rides)

Thanks for any answer. I do keep my computers a long time, so it kindda counts.