Guild Wars worth geting?

TheRedDuke05

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bump this old topic, not for Guild Wars but for Vanguard.

Im getting interested in mmorpg's, but seriously doubt ill play anything b4 vanguard. I dislike the expensive fee in WoW and that ure char is pointless after lvl 60. I have high hopes for vanguard :) hope i get into beta at some point

I just wanted to bump this old topic, not for Guild Wars but for Vanguard.

Im getting interested in mmorpg's, but seriously doubt ill play anything b4 vanguard. I dislike the expensive fee in WoW and that ure char is pointless after lvl 60. I have high hopes for vanguard :) hope i get into beta at some point

wel i will be there to play vanguard with ya dawg... but if i were oyu iw ould give EVE: Online a try man... i hav ebeen playing it for 2 years now and its awesome.  Not only that but my corporation (same as a guild) has formed an alliance and we just built a 25 billion dollar outpost in lawless space to claim our own territory.  We have tons of battleships and capital ships and the pvp is ruthless as it is not consensual. PLus you can loot those you destroy.

Try it out... but if not i will see you in vanguard  ;)

boy juggling BF2, Vanguard, and EVE is gonna be hectic  ;D

in Rpg's Yes, in Rts NO

I love being a knight in shiny armour with some combat enchanting magic skills (paladin)

Dawgs ultimate role playing experience would be A dark knight, or any other Evil warrior with good heart , but you always have to be Evil when playing Evil, you cant turn to good side :(

He wants realistic graphics with a cooler and harsher virtual world (hence Vanguard)... not teletubbies made for 12 yr olds (WoW).  Might as well put on diapers and stick a pacifier in your mouth while you play WoW.  I played the Beta and the way stuff goes *bleep, bleep, poink, poink, Boing, Boing, dee doo , weee wooo weee wooo,* makes me want to puke.  Hopefully Vanguard will have some real sound effects and graphics.

not teletubbies made for 12 yr olds (WoW).  Might as well put on diapers and stick a pacifier in your mouth while you play WoW.  I played the Beta and the way stuff goes *bleep, bleep, poink, poink, Boing, Boing, dee doo , weee wooo weee wooo,* makes me want to puke.  Hopefully Vanguard will have some real sound effects and graphics.

Lol, World of TeleCraft. I honestly did try this game demo, it really did get deleted so fast it wasen't even funny.

Feel as though I'm obliged to step in here and defend WoW, being a player and all.

WoW is definitely not just "made for 12 year olds", as Gunwounds put it, though it is designed with them in mind as well.  That's like saying "Mario is for 12 year olds" - just because a game is designed for a broader spectrum of age ranges, doesn't mean it hasn't got depth or playability above and beyond that.

Despite the astoundingly astute synopsis Gunwounds also added about WoW's sound, I am forced to disagree.  I have not once heard WoW go bleep, poink, boing, dee doo or weee wooo weee wooo, though I appreciate these terms as being ambiguous at best.  World of Warcraft boasts one of the widest range of sound effects and atmospheric music that I've ever encountered in a game.  It strikes me, though, that almost everything in a space ship goes beep.

As with all games, it's just a case of your own personal preference, really.  WoW presents a totally fantasy-based world, with only very loose ties to reality.  Games such as Guild Wars or EVE retain more of this essence of 'normality', by portraying people or things that we are familiar with.  While WoW sometimes offers a satirical, almost Pratchett-esque reflection of the real world (a group of Goblins in charge of teleporter apparatus being called 'The Away Team', with names like Spork, Jhordy and Scooty; the Feast of Winter's Veil at Christmas Time, etc.), most aspects of the game remain in-line with Blizzard's idea of a totally alien, wonderful fantasy universe.

As Nuvollari pointed out, the game now has over 5.5 million users, over 1 million of those in Europe.  The average age of these users is estimated at 26 years old, which kind of deflates the whole 12-year-old argument.  Those who like it generally love it, and there seems to only be a tiny minority of people who actively hate it (in which I think we can include some of FED2k's posters, judging by responses).  Please don't think this the ramblings of a Blizzard fan-boy; I'm a Final Fantasy fan-boy.  I thought about buying SWG, EQ2 and FFXI before I even contemplated World of Warcraft.  I enjoyed Warcraft games as they were; RTS and nothing else.  Yet this game turned out to be the one for me.

There's no doubt that there are other games out there (specifically EVE) that are designed with a specific audience in mind.  A survey of the average age of EVE players would probably be the same, but there would be far fewer younger players than World of Warcraft.  Remember, some people simply don't want to lose their hard-earned cash / items when they die, especially if they are 'ganked' by high level players while simply questing.  Some people enjoy a total immersion in an entire new world of high fantasy, rather than a galaxy-spanning space ship sim with overtures of 'this might happen one day'.  You're perfectly entitled to your own views regarding WoW, but the 72% of players over the age of 18 and 48% of players over 25 share roughly my opinion. :)

** Please note that Blizzard has made a point of emphasising that all figures (bar the amount of subscriptions at 5.5 million plus) are non-official, and can only be used as rough estimates.  Actual figures will most definitely vary, but I used multiple sources and took the average of what I found to compile this post. **

Just not my cup o tea. As far as the ratings/polls games get on various sites, who buys video games based on that? Thats just silly, I would think word of mouth sells more games than anything. That would be like only going to see a movie because the commercial said it recieved 2 thumbs up, therefore, it has to be good.

Apparently 5.5 million people have no taste and are immature.

There are more beer drinkers than there are wine drinkers....

There are more burger eaters than there are steak eaters

Does this mean that beer and burgers is better than wine and steak?  Heck no... but maybe someone with no class or taste would say so... and i am sure the people with class and taste are in the minority... but the simple fact remains that having an enormous player base does not make a great game.

And you brought up mario brothers.... yes when i was in college i knew lots of 20 yr old guys who played Super Mario world on Nintendo 64 and they loved it.... i thought it was silly... so when i say "12 yr old"  i mean both physically or mentally.

And to be honest... i think alot of WoW players only play WoW becuz it is the only swords and magic game out there right now worth playing... so its like people are forced to play it..... when Vanguard comes out... and if it is what people are hoping for.... then you will see WoW numbers fall like a brick from the sky.  Becuz vanguard will be ultra-realistic.

The only thing that might keep people from switching from WoW to Vanguard is that WoW is so cartoony it doesnt require alot of GPU power... so people with crappy computers will be able to play WoW while only people with awesome systems will be able to play Vanguard.

Vanguard will be like the new BF2 for swords and magic.  People will have to seriously upgrade their comps to play it with high detail. 

So i can see why the majority of people play WoW instead of EVE.... becuz the majority of people have crappy computers, have no taste in gaming, are not hardcore gamers, and are not able to deal with complex  mathematical based type games with real risk vs reward (like EVE).

And like scar said... kids are suckers... they will buy anything... most kids have like 50 diff games laying around, they have no taste in gaming.... in addition... people say that the average WoW gamer is 26 yrs old.. but i think it is safe to say that the younger kids were not part of the survey as kids usually dont take the time to fill out polls like 26 yr olds would.  So the polls there are skewed.... a 12 yr old isnt gonna take the time to fill out a "how old are you" survey.

There are more beer drinkers than there are wine drinkers....

There are more burger eaters than there are steak eaters..

=>Ill tel you why ther are more.Becuz its cheaper to drink beer and eat burgers...

WoW its 15$USD a moth more than EQ2...so plz just admit it.

WoW Community: We like WoW becuase of <Reason 1>, <Reason 2> and <Reason 3>.  -- These reasons will differ, as people like WoW for different aspects.

Gunwounds: You're all wrong.  All of you.  World of Warcraft sucks, because my opinion is the right one.

You're entitled to your opinion, yes; but to try and say that yours is undoubtedly the correct one is fallacy.  It is the combined opinion of 5.5 million people that World of Warcraft has enough allure to buy a subscription to, and it's not just because they all have 'crappy computers', or are forced to play this because it's the only decent game of its type around.  My computer's specs are as follows:

<shameless_boasting>

Dual AMD 2.2GHz X2 Processors (4.4GHz combined processing power)

2GB DDR Dual-Channel RAM

Dual nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E / SLI (256MB PCI Express graphics combined power)

100GB SATA HDD (Only thing that's small about this beast :P)

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 4 (5.1 Surround Sound audio card)

</shameless_boasting>

That's all the specs that actually matter when playing a game.  Now, anyone who cares to say that my computer is 'crappy' will make me cry.  Say it in a year's time and it might be true, but right now, my PC omgwtfpwns.  I play World of Warcraft.  My flat-mate - who has a PC that is nearly identical to that (aside from a bigger HDD but only on-board sound) - plays World of Warcraft.  Most people in my Guild have PCs that would quite happily play any game out today with decent graphics settings.  Now, I can't speak for everyone playing WoW, but I feel that a decent PC is needed to play WoW to its fullest.  512MB RAM is enough to play it, but not without graphics set to low and still getting lag.  A 64MB GPU might just pull it off, but again with some performance issues.  Saying that people will only play WoW over Vanguard because they have 'crappy computers' is plain wrong - there's a lot more to WoW than you seem to want to acknowledge.

I see now that you harbour prejudice against people who enjoy things that you deem to be 'kiddy'.  Mario is not 'kiddy', it's just designed so that people of all ages can play it, or at least that's the opinion of the millions of people of all ages who have played it.  You may think WoW is a crap game, but please come up with a better reason that sweeping generalisations that have no base - yes, pick on its cartoony graphics and overall atmosphere of friendliness or humour.  At least those are tangible aspects that can be criticised.  But honestly, I thought you would be above saying things like "all things that are kiddy are crap", Gunwounds.

Just to clarify, my taste in Gaming is just as good as anyone else's, and I play WoW.  Again, I can only speak for myself, but that's all I need to do.  To say that everyone who plays WoW has bad taste in Gaming is another generalisation, and the rough equivalent of saying "you're all wrong and I'm right".  As far as I'm any judge, World of Warcraft is an excellent game, and every single review site that I've come across seems to agree.  Tell me, Gunwounds, are all of them wrong as well?

And did you ever think that, instead of 'not being able to handle' games like EVE, people just don't want to play them?  Really, if I want to play a space sim online, I'll fire up Freelancer; it's free to play online and you get some of the experience as well, without all the complications and cost.  Consider also my previous point that perhaps people don't want