Need Help With Questions Concerning Dune? Ask Here!

TMA_1

yes you're right TMA. Ghola-ing seems to be regrowth and reanimation. In the cloning process, they swap nuclei of cells around and then shoot them with 10000 volts to make new cells, which they use to make an embryo. There is a difference! I think if it was cloning anyway, there wouldn't be a chance in hell of getting memories back. Besides, I'm fairly sure Bijaz says to Hayt that "your flesh did not want to COME BACK." Like he was a tough ghola to make.

Sorry, they don't clone by electricity, they use the high voltage to fuse the nucleus into the cytoplasm, so that way the body is fooled into thinking it's a genuine cell. But yeah, there is still a difference. I was wrong with the detail, not TMA i mean.

Very, very interesting thread. I've learned a lot, and everything seems true to the Duniverse.

I have a question, two actually, first: What is the ranking system (officer and enlisted) for the Empire? I've read Levenbrech, Burseg and Bashar, I figure they're something like Leiutenant, Colonel and General, respectively, but there's got to be more.

Second: The ranking system of the Siridar fuedal governers. Shaddam made Fenrig a Count, and there are (obviously) Dukes, Barons, Earls etc. in the Dune novel and other noble classes in the prequals, such as Lord. Is there a chain-of-command in the various titles? Is a Baron higher than a Duke? Or is it just titles?

You're correct about the three ranks, m'Lord J. There are also Caids, who are Sardaukar "civil servants" - liasons between the Sardaukar and civilians. Bashars are also known as Colonel bashars, by the way. There are really no other ranks listed in Dune, since they aren't really needed. The Jihad prequel, however, seemed to stress their ranking system (primero, segundo, tercero, etc).

Oh, and Noukkers are personal bodyguards of the Emperor. They are usually personal acquaintances.

I'm not quite sure about the feudal titles in Dune. There seems to be no real difference between Barons, Dukes, etc. In fact, I think they are merely honourary titles. A Siridar Baron like Baron harkonnen, for example, is simply a planetary governor.

http://www.dune2k.com/?page=community-articles&show=sardaukar

that link goes to the articles section of one article dealing with sardaukars. Everything from their history and onward. It goes into their ranking and everything. Watch out though, the very beginning deals with stuff from the DE, the the stuff you are looking for, he has it all down accuratly and well written. I highly suggest checking it out.

http://www.dune2k.com/?page=community-articles&show=sardaukar

that link goes to the articles section of one article dealing with sardaukars. Everything from their history and onward. It goes into their ranking and everything. Watch out though, the very beginning deals with stuff from the DE, the the stuff you are looking for, he has it all down accuratly and well written. I highly suggest checking it out.

Perfect, thanks. :)

Speaking of "primero", "segundo" etc. Those ranks sound curiously Italian in nature.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be a sort of Dune page that has pdf files.

http://artstream.ucsc.edu/film42f/pdffiles.html'>http://artstream.ucsc.edu/film42f/pdffiles.html

What I'm wondering is why they also have Mahdi's "Star Wars and Dune: Is One Just a Copy of the Other?" essay on their also. (found at top right link of webpage)

It seems the person is a professor that hosts the page. And it seems that Dune is part of the course!!

???

Did you get royalties Mahdi? ;)

http://artstream.ucsc.edu/film42f/ is the main page for the course.

Very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sandtrout, of course, form "bubbles" around water, bringing it down underground. This water mixes with the Sandtrout's secretions (the "pre-Spice mass). Eventually, this reacts violently, creating a Spice blow, where it explodes to the surface. Eventually, this matter dries in the sun to become the Spice.

First off, many (I think they actually say millions in one of the books) of the sandtrout are killed in the blow. When the sandtrout make worms, it requires hundreds of thousands of them to converge and bind together. They eventually harden to become a sandworm.

I dont think that the spice blow creates sandworms, or else I beleive it would have mentioned something like that in the books.

Maybe they are drawn by the noise, but they dont know exactly what it is until they get close enough to feel the moisture, and by then its too late

when the blobs of millions of sandtrout explode, some of the sandtrout live, attached to one another. They grow into sandworms. The metamorphosis of water being life to water being poison is a mystery to me.

Is there given any explanation in the books (Haven't read all of them yet. Waiting for Amazon to send me CoD and Heretics) as to how no-things prevent prescient searchers from detecting them? You'd think that if a no-ship flew somewhere and unloaded an army, the prescient searchers would be able to deduce it had been there from their prescient warning of army x invading.

Welcome to FED2k Aes. 8)

As for no ships and why prescience can not detect them, I have little idea, although in one of the books(not naming as spoiler) a sensor net is able to detect a noship.

But the precient person would not know that a ship is about to drop an army somewhere as it is a noship. The precient person woudl most likely know it was a noship that dropped off the army, but would not know until after it has happened(or happeneing).

TMA or Vanguard may have answers as they are good with all the technical stuff.

would that sensor net technology happen to come from the prequels?

Nope it was in the original novels.

kinda spoiler for my previous post. (heretics Dune spoiler)

[hide]It was in Heretics Dune at end, when the no ship was on dune and was detected.[/hide]