Need Help With Questions Concerning Dune? Ask Here!

TMA_1

That wasn't a sensor net per se, if I recall correctly. It was actually a massive minefield around Junction. If any ships entered orbit, the Honored Matres would see the ship hitting the passive mines (in effect, they would see a fireball ;)).

Thats not the net I was talking about, it was actually a

Heretics Spoiler: [hide]satellite orbiting Rakis that found them when Teg was getting off.[/hide]

The two Face Dancers were with Duncan from before the no-ship IIRC. He suspected it was something the Tleiaxu did to him in the axlotl tanks, as was stated elsewhere in Chapterhouse.

Chapterhouse: Dune spoiler:

[hide] Also, at the end when he wiped shipsystems one of the face dancers complained to the other that he let him get away. So with the wiped shipsystems, they appearently had no way of tracking the no-ship. My guess is that they (assuming they did know where the no-ship was going) had a beacon of sorts installed either into shipsystems, or were using Ghola-Idaho as a beacon of sorts (again falling back to his suspicion of being tampered with by the Tleiaxu) [/hide]

But while I'm at the questions-asking, there's something else that has been bothering me. Why don't we ever see references to people in traditional heavy armor in the Dune books? All the movies and books I've read so far seems to have people in cloth armor with Holzmann shields. You'd think that traditional full plate would be in vogue again, after Holzmann shields stopped all fast-moving objects. If you had even just a thin layer of metal covering your body, it ought to be virtually impenetrable due to the fact that the invading weapon would not posess enough kinetic energy to pierce it.

[edit]

Added spoiler tags

You dont have to pierce the armor, you just have to find a small chink in it.

If you are wearing a full suite of armor, you will almost cetainly die. With armor, you do not have enough control or finese to shield fight, so you cannot hurt your opponent, and you cannot move fast enough to defend, so while it may take a few minutes longer for the fight to end, you will almost definatly lose.

Now if they used chainmail or something akin to the Samurai armor, that would make more sense, because you would still be able to move and react, but plate mail would doom you.

Well, chainmail, samurai armor, cheramic composite... Anything that isn't too constricting and would require a considerable amount of force to penetrate. It's the principle of the thing. I find it strange noone in the Duniverse seemed to buy themselves invunerability by wearigna composite armor. An outer layer that could only be penetrated by slow-moving objects and an inner layer that could only be penetrated by fast-moving objects.

well, think of it in a different point of view, people often trust their lives on a weapon or a shield, lets say you fighting with your shield on, i bet you dont expect to lose, i also bet you have utter confidence in your shield, you also want to win, and to win you have to be as light as possible to maneuver around, im sure if shields did exist there would be some who took the extra precaution to put some body armour on but in the novels you dont read any fights between 2 untrained opponents who need the extra armour, and if one of them did have armour that person would most likely be the one to die, with the slight weight and bulkiness, if your pinned, the blade is still guna kill you even with armour on...unless there was some type of synthetic spider silk armour.. but i dont know im tired i'll try to make sense of this later

armor isnt used. You can see that by how the sardaukar fight with the fremen in the desert. If they wore armor there would have been mention of direct hits to avoid striking armor. Instead they just wear normal uniforms. Same with the fremen. Plus, it is much easier to move without armor. I am suprised people havent read the Dune Warfare section of articles that can be found at the main page of fed2k. they would answer most of the stuff relating to dune warfare.

some armor does inhibit movement, like plate mail and full battle dress. but things like chain mail or certain types of oriental armor does not inhibit movement almost at all. So why is it not used? Even if something like chain mail slows you down a little bit, it would be more than worth it considering how much it could help you.

There is a strong misconception that armor is ultra heavy and impossible to move in. That is untrue though. Lords have been known to jump onto their horses, to do summersalts and hand springs in them. They dont inhibit as much as people thinkt hey do. Still though, in a situation of life and death, all of that little stuff makes a big difference. There comes a point in battle where percise movement and speed is more important than protection. Also with knives and the like, you are taught to take advantage of open spots in armor, like the underarms and neck. just because there were no shields doesnt mean they would switch to armor. I wouldnt trust the prequels, like in house harkonnen when the solders are chasing duncan. They wear massive armor, and that is just silly to me.

spice isnt really a waste product. It is a complex chemical that is expelled from sandtrout. It is more of a byproduct of water meeting a sandtrout, instead of it just being waste, or "poo" hehe.

Like when leto II gives siona the spice essense from between one of the ring segments.

ALso, I have a theory that the sandtrout expel this stuff in order for it to be changed from actual water, for it's own protection in the future, and also turning it into a substance that would be taken in along with sand to give long life to it's future metamorph.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, that is a good question. It might be detailed somewhere but I just forgot, it seems to be a big variable, but it usually mentions vains of the stuff. I would ask something. Is it clumped into the sand? or is it clumped together in it's own mass? it seems to be clumped in the sand, but unsure.