Need Help With Questions Concerning Dune? Ask Here!

TMA_1

that is the stain left by a narcotic called Sappho juice. It is grown from a root on the planet ecaz and supposedly increases the mindpower of mentats. Those are the guys you saw. They basically are replacements for intelligent computers.

Stillsuits and how they work

It truly is amazing how advanced the fremen are. It is said that when the zenzunni traveled from planet to planet, they picked up the trades along the way. They were able to single-handedly invent very sophisticated tools. Such as the "distrans" communicator, which was a small devise that would send the signal of the message into the actual nerve tissue of a carrier animal, which could be picked up by others. The best-known devise used though by the fremen is their garment, the stillsuit. The dull gray suit is very utilitarian in looks, but precise in every detail. Special polymers are used as the fabric. These were designed in separate layers. The inner layers were porous, but layer-by-layer the fabric would be

The economics of the empire run around some sort of free market not talked about. Each House uses their planet(s) resources in order to make a profit in return. I can give examples of special items that are good for export from certain planets.

Arafan: Opafire, other precious gems.

Caladan: Grazing animals, various grains, paridon melons, pundi rice, coral gems, fine wines, watercraft.

Geidi Prime: Slaves, Artificial gems, oil, weapons, space craft, miniral deposites, Gladiators.

Lankiville: Whale furs, salt mines, miniral deposits, religious items.

Ecaz: Semuta, sappho, fogwood, agricultural goods, precious woods, verite.

Gamont: Scholars, rare liturature, universities.

Ix: Heighliners, frigates, weapons, advanced tools and items, computers.

Chusuk:Balisets

Many many more.

That is just a few from each planet and just a few planets at that. The point I am getting at is, the economy of the empire is based on each house finding it's own resources and buying rare and usual imports in return. It is a capitalistic society that bases itself on key items. Each House usually has its own specialty in what they make.

CHOAM (Combine Honette Ober Advancer Mercantiles) controls most importing and exporting, while the Guild, of course, does the actual shipping of these commodities.

Also, looking at the name, and the feudal system of government, I'm thinking the Universe at the time used a sort of Mercantile system. I'll try to explain this in a nutshell:

The Mercantile system is based on the notion that there is only so much money to go around (by money, I mean hard currency. Currently and in the past, this has been gold. I assume it's Spice in the Duniverse). Therefore, if you lose money, someone else gains money. Because of this, a country would try to keep the money within the country, becoming as self-sufficient as possible. This made colonies very important. In the 1700's, New England would collect resources (wood, for example), and send them to England to be processed into goods (say, muskets), which would then be sold back to the colonies.

I think the Duniverse had a similar mercantile system. Besides luxury and specialty items like Elacca wood, Hagal quartz, and of course the Spice, I think most Houses kept to themselves as far as trade goes.

Yeah. That would explain for the beurocracy and large amounts of vigilanteism. CHOAM and other guilds couldnt constantly protect all of it's capital. Overall I think it kicks my "capitalism" idea out of the water.lol It also could explain for the brash and daring ways of the time. Pirates and smugglers and the like. aaargh mate ;) hehe

"Leto II once said something about each sandtrout held part of him inside what did he acutally mean by saying this was he saying that he was dead but not dead? If that makes any sense. Also another thing Leto II was the KH that his father Paul had refused to become correct."

What leto the tyrant meant by the sandtrout having a part of his consciousness is kinda odd. It makes sense though. Leto the second's brain grew all throughout his body. You can read that actually in god emperor of Dune. Also his soul was with all the sandtrout. He knew that he would be killed in the future and though all of the worms of arrakis died, he still contained on his body thousands of these creatures. When he was finally killed, the sandtrout left his body and began the process of taking water from the planet and using it in their maturing stages. The sandtrouts themselves still carried physically and spiritually apart of leto. I believe spiritually but that is my own opinion.

About the next question, I thought so as well for awhile and though there is good argument for it, I tend to say they both were. KH basically means the man that can be many places at once. Though Paul didnt take on the sandtrout suit, he could have been able to take it. He was the KH that did not want to live for eternity as a collective of mindless drones living out on arrakis. Leto accepted this fate though. All to save humanity from stagnating.

I hope that answers your questions. :)

I think Paul realized what he was doing was wrong ie. the Jihad because after the stoneburner made him blind he came back as the Preacher and preached against the very religion he created.

So maybe he saw an alternate path in the future than what his son chose to pursue that would have led to the survival of humanity.

TMA-1 and Shaddam_Corrino both of your replys are informing those are the same thoughts that I have been thinking.

Paul might have saw a different path in the future than his son chose to purse but what if Paul had chose to use his sons vision only using his guidiance do either of you think that would have been better.

I am viewing this from the fact of Paul once using his young sons eyes after he becomes blind. It is sybomblic of Paul's own faith in his own fate. They were both KH so that means (IMO) that they would interscet in the Nexus as higher orders or part of the higher orders either parallel or liner. Have youever thought about it in this manner or do you think it is not a factor in the development of the story?

yes they both are on a higher plain and therefore in my opinion, they both can see many places at once. Leto II just took the steps paul was too afraid to take. Because he could not decern what that would do to mankind. Leto II saw though the golden path, understood it was the only way to save humanity.It is so interesting that unlike many sci fi books, frank makes a savior so realistic. He is dispised because people dont understand him. "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking, since this is the ask dune questions here, what if at the first post of this thread you put links to important threads in this board(relating to duniverse). An example would be the arafel thread, and maybe to the different polls. (maybe even the all important chani or irulan thread ;) )

so that people may not ask the same questions and be more easily informed about dune.

Andrew: I don't think it would be wise to link to other threads. It would be like stickying all of those threads. However, it might be a good idea to copy explanations from these other threads into this thread, then make a sort of "table of contents" in TMA's first post in this thread. It could have links to the exact post in this thread.