August 25 and XP SP2 release

Has anyone tried the beta versions of this service pack?  Does if affect playing DUNE 2000 or EBFD?  They talk about this service pack as being a major component (an intermediate OS before longhorn, due in 2006). Is there a ginni pig out there, willing to install the SP and posting any problems, if any before the rest of us follow?

Has anyone tried the beta versions of this service pack?

yes

Does if affect playing DUNE 2000 or EBFD?

No clue...

Is there a ginni pig out there, willing to install the SP

Been there, done that. .

and posting any problems, if any before the rest of us follow?

Mayby if I get the time, although there are a few good reviews about it already out on the internet. . it would be more productive I think to have a look at them.

:)

BTW. not just the B

I don't know about getting the SP2. I got SP1, and it didn't seem to do much good for me that I noticed. Wow added security. what about performance and stability. Some websites I'm readingf say that it interferes with some things. There is no reason why an update to the OS should interfere with anything. It's an update, its supposed to fix things.

But maybe I will get it anyway since I may format my computer in a month. Then if I don't like it, I won't get SP1 or SP2.

Perormance & stability can be affected directly by security. If a badguy gets on your computer and hogs your resources, there goes performance. Stability is affected when you cant run anything when your infected with webpage-hijackers, viruses...etc..

But yes, SP2 is generally security targeted. I'll get it when its on general release, image my HD if I have to remove it, and can post reulsts for E:BFD

There is no reason why an update to the OS should interfere with anything. It's an update, its supposed to fix things.

SP's are supposed to fix things, adn if one of those things is a security issue where applications get to much freedom within the Windows NT OS. . that will be fixed. And as a result the application might not function as before after the SP upgrade.

The only Service pack that messed up my computer was the recent SP for Microsoft Exchange 2003. In fact I tolled every one I know not to use it before they knew why they needed it.

From your linked topic

especially on Microsoft's busy servers

weird .. MS servers usually have a high download and upload for me. .. maked you wonder how he downloads the stuff. ..

The IBM warning is not as suspisous as it might look. Most major comapnies don't update right away when a lot of client systems are involved. They want to know the impact of the upgrade in forehand. And the same with IBM, they have never patched right away. Nor do most other companies.

SP2 for network users is around 250MB, however the SP2 for home users (due for release 25 Aug) is about 90Mb-110Mb.

The magazine "PC World" September edition, will have a free CD containing the SP2 update. This might help people with dial-up connections.

I guess a restore point will be in order.  Then install the SP and "suck it and see". I assume you can recover the restore point if SP2 creates frustrating issues?

All the best

If you cant use a restore point, consider making an image of your HD using Norton Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, or Acronis WhatEverItsCalled...or any other.

That way, you DEFINATELY can recover from a bad SP2 installation. And anything else for that matter...

• 2 weeks later...

SP2 Installed - I waited to download the full version, not the auto update one, as I have many computers to do.

So far, Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro - Screwed up big time. A common enough error for me. A quick (actually very slow) reinstall did it for me, now its working fine.

Emperor: Battle for Dune worked fine first attempt. Will post as I use more proggies, but basically, the reason for having a comp, emperor, is working, so what else can be said ?

It works from Dos.

Choose which type of image to make, An Image which results in an un-uaseable file, or a disk to disk copy, which results in a exact copy.

Then choose the source and destination.

I always make images, which can then be used to restore a computer back to its earlier state, and images can be compressed.

I have 1 HD, say 3 partitions, C, D & E. I will Image partition C to Partition E as a file, full compression.

Hope that helps.

Well, if we getting down to that level of detail then I think you are correct, DOS itself doesnt have GUI, but it certainly does support proggies with it, like Noron Ghost. And thats the GUI we were talking about.

Quote from: erjin999 on 03 September 2004, 18:09:28

It works from Dos.

Not shure which version you have . .although mine has a grafical interface.. .

Thats why I dont understand your statement here, what has the fact that I said it runs from DOS got to do with its GUI ?

Confusion confusion  ???

sorry to ad to your confusion. . mayby the below screenshots make it more clear, together with the question of how Norton Ghosts works.

ng1.JPG

ng2.JPG

Those are the 2 screens you usually use when using Norton Ghost. you select the option you want and a simple wizard guides you through the process. After that you computer will reboot.

Two years ago I used a simple DOS diskette with a simple version of Norton Ghost on it. At that time Norton Ghosts still worked with DOS. But the new versions are simply used in Windows and have not much to do with DOS anymore. So in short from my part. Why does Norton Ghost run from DOS ? .. the recent versions of Ghost don't use DOS anymore. ....

The version I have used (2002) worked from DOS with a GUI.

As far as I know, it was Powerquest DriveImage (unshure of which version it was) that started to offer the chioce of actions in Windoze, and then carried them out in DOS, first. I guess Symantec have decided to use that idea too. Symantec now also own Powerquest, by the way.

There is another imaging tool, Acronis Trueimage, that can work entirely in windoze, something I didnt realise was possible. No need to go to DOS to do anything. Image is made in windoze, with windoze running. Is that what the newest ghost does ?

Either way, it doesnt matter to me. And I am a little unshure of how/why we are discussing this here !  ???