shields on dune

UsulSK

I know that shields attract a worm, but there seemed to be another reason why they dont use shields on Dune.  Because I got the impression in the first book, that the Atreidis always wondered why shields werent used on Dune even when they knew that they attract a Shai Hulud.  Were there any other reasons?

Shields, although very cheap, had to repaired very frequently on Arrakis.  This was due to the dust, sand, static, etc.

"The Harkonnens certainly used plenty of shields here," Hawat said.  "They had repair depots in every garrison village, and their accounts show a heavy expenditure for shields and parts."

~ p. 88 paperback "Dune"

Guest Chaos Hand

In addition to attracting a worm, it makes worms crazy, I think all shielded units should have a small chance for every second on the sand to have a worm pop up. On non arrakis maps, all units should have sheilds for 25% more of their cost

Im still not satisfied.

After the fall of House Atreides, there were many Harkonnen/Sardauker who used shields on Dune and they didnt attract a worm.  You know, when the Fremen killed some and say said something like "look, they are wearing those shields.".  Or when Duncan used the trick to shield something important (I guess it were the atomics) and the sardauker used lasguns and then there was a huge explosion.  But no worm.

• 3 weeks later...

" know that shields attract a worm, but there seemed to be another reason why they dont use shields on Dune.  Because I got the impression in the first book, that the Atreidis always wondered why shields werent used on Dune even when they knew that they attract a Shai Hulud.  Were there any other reasons? "

Yes I remeber now shields can be short circuited by a high level electrical charge such as a corrolis storm which happen frequently on Dune.

• 3 weeks later...