Why was House Atreides sent to Arrakis?

dportela

I have several theories and have heard a few others, but I have not yet read a clear explanation of why the Atreides were sent to Arrakis, that is, under what justification. What did the Emperor hope to accomplish by sending them there? Why did they have to give up Caladan, if the Harkonnens could rule there and still keep Geidi Prime? I'd love to hear what y'all know/think.  ???

The Atradies were sent to Dune because they had started to train soilders who's skill rivaled that of the Sardukar (ie Duncan Idaho) and the emporer planned to use the Harkonnen military to conceal the attack from the Landsraad by making the Sardukar wear Harkonnen livery.

Leto was gaining a lot of support in the Landsraad, and so the emperor needed to eliminate him - he considered the Atreides to be a threat. Duncan was a Ginaz swordsmaster - not a good example of the Atreides military. Leto knew there'd be trouble when he got to Arrakis, so he needed to take his military. House Atreides still technically governed Caladan - it's just the Duke's attention had to be turned to the new fief on Arrakis.

The Atradies were sent to Dune because they had started to train soilders who's skill rivaled that of the Sardukar (ie Duncan Idaho) and the emporer planned to use the Harkonnen military to conceal the attack from the Landsraad by making the Sardukar wear Harkonnen livery.

Thats the theory presented by Thufir, and a fairly likley one.  Nema, Duncan was one of the people who trained this elite squadron, not a member of it.  Duncan and Gurney were the men who amde it.

The reason given to the Baron was that Leto was to popular, although I beleive that Thufir was probably right when he said it was because of the elite Atreides soldiers.

This my be a little off topic but even in the movie, Lynch played it as Duke Leto gaining popularity in the Lansraad and the invention of the weirding modules (which are not in the book) as the reason he plotted with House Harkonnon to destroy House Atreides. Thufir knew it was a trap but failed to see that there was a Judas among House Atreides.

Two theories:

1)  There are ways f getting rid of people other than killing them.  As leader of a destroyed great house, he could have probably got asylum from the Guild.

2)  The Emperor respected hm, and while he killed Leto out of necessity, he still didn't like doing it.

Ther rules of kanly were not really obeyed in full during the actual attack on Arrakis. Specifically in the treatment of the Atreides nobles.

I don't think they ever say that Kanly has to be obeyed.  I still think that Kanly was more a "chivilry" type deal.

About the theory with the elite troops:  I think Thufir was talking about the Fremen, who could become a danger for the Emperor, because the Atreides wanted to train them.  But if the Emperor didnt want them to be trained he shouldnt have sent the Atreides on Arrakis!  The trap was planned before the Atreides got Arrakis, so the Emperor had other reasons for destroying them then the elite force.

• 2 weeks later...

The Landsraad see themselves as above petty savages such as the Fremen, and the emperor would expect the Atreides to use their posting on Arrakis to further their own gain, both economically and politically. No-one would ever dream that they would become involved with the Fremen, savages far below the noble houses.

• 3 weeks later...