Manhunt Banned in New Zealand (NT)

thomas

You want me to rattle off the list of games banned or censored in Germany?

Generals

MOH:AA

BF1942

Return to Castle Wolfenstien

Call of Duty

Wolfenastien 3D

And the crownig jewel:

Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures

No offense to the Germans, but now that's just silly.

You want me to rattle off the list of games banned or censored in Germany?

Generals

MOH:AA

BF1942

Return to Castle Wolfenstien

Call of Duty

Wolfenastien 3D

And the crownig jewel:

Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures

No offense to the Germans, but now that's just silly.

its due to the german's extremist violence censorship.

however the wolfenstein series lets you KILL Nazi's ... so they should endorse that game.

Germans are embarrassed by WWII :P The German language book my school issues says some wonderful things about Germany's contribution to the world, but oddly enough leaves out much of their history from 1900 to 1950 :P They'd just as happily forget it ever happened, lol.

I mean, they should play games with nazis in them so that they know exactly who the bad guy is.

And innevitability is an illusion.

I find that somewhat true....Almost all games stereotype nazis as bad which is good... If I lived in Germany I love to kill nazis in a game..I like doing it now  :)

i think they dont like generals.. because generals lets you play "middle eastern terrorists" as a faction....

Well Generals just sucks fullstop. Its not even a real 'Command And Conquer' game. How dare EA use the trademark. They've ruined a great legacy and this game is the worse way to end it.

What is wrong with America??? They always have to make everything political now. And don't say that this is just a game because its not. It was made just before the Iraq War, and the first mission is USA vs Iraq (expect of course in this game they actually HAD chemical weapons). Even in their sports and other entertainment shows they have to "dedicate it to the troops fighting for our freedom". Pathetic. People in the UK gave up glamourising war after the horrors of WW1.

Anyhow, I wouldn't ban the game, even though it may have a corrupt ideology. It just sucks.

Generals took several years to produce, they couldn't have known, plus the game was finished over 6 months before being realeased for testing, plus generals takes place in the year 2020+ and Iraq is invested by a terrorist group,

it's not really political at all

plus Generals actually is a great game, the sales of the game prove it is at least decent if not great.

MOH:Rising sun actually is a hit in Japan I beleive, go figure

the thread was to spur a discusion on censorship of video games

I can see NZ banning Manhunt, it is disturbing, but germany banning BF1942? that game doesn't even have gore

Not surprised.  It seems almost all of those games have a negative outlook on the Germans, or have alot of violence.  I can understand Manhunt being banned...that game is WHACK.

But if you wanna hear about a SUPER-FREAKY game, play Silent Hill 2.  Watching the Triangle-headed mutant-beast VIOLENTLY RAPE another mutated creature was SICK AND WRONG.  Nightmares for, literally, months.  *shudder*

yeah I can see manhunt being banned (you can thrust your crowbar up someones rectum, pull crowbar out and stab them in the back of the neck as one of the moves) it's disturning but BF1942? that game is educational for God's sake

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, i can understand that they ban games like Mohaa and RTCW. They are fun games, but the germans are somewhat described as pure evil in that game. They even speak german (well in MOHAA they do) and i'd rather not shoot someone who speaks my own language either. Besides that, perhaps the germans don't want their people to get too much in contact with nazi's... be it virtually :P

I read an article about MOH: Rising Sun and its release in Japan once, about how some people thought it was awkward to say the least that they play foreign soldiers killing off their fathers & grandfathers. Can't beat that argument, regardless of whatever they might have done in the past.

Odd thing is, none of the Earth 2150 games or any other of Zuxxez' (a German company) games (all being RTS) got banned in Germany and sold quite well over there.