Dune Pictures by me

TMA_1

I am going to post three pictures, I hope that is okay to the global mods, because I havent been able to get my scanner up and I have wnated to show these for awhile. The ifrst one I am going to show is my vision of Cala City. I like the buildings and the layout of the entire thing. I used colored pencils that were lying around and used regular lined paper.

The second one is of three dune weapons that my interpritation was of them. The one to the very left is a maula pistol, the middle one is the fabled fremen blade, and the last one is a simple kindjal. I have other interpritations of them, these just came up in my head. I will send the last one in a sec.

here it is. :)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

this is the last and probably the least favorite of mine. It is a vista of arrakis, with the typical sand dunes with some ridges in the distance as well as apart of carthag. There is a 'thopter above as well as the two moons. I did like the sky though, always pictured it as so at dusk and early night. I used oil pastels with charcoal paper. basically a grainy picture good for pastels and stuff.

well what do you guys think of the three pictures? i have more, two actually of arrakis vistas that are much better than this one, I jsut cant find them right now. give me input. :)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Not bad.  Not a fan of the weapons myself, but that's just a personal preference.  They seem to be copying the designs from Lynch's Dune, at least the crysknife, and I personally always thought they were pretty far off.  But like I said, that's jsut me.

no, you are right about the crysknife, i couldnt figure out how to advance on the lynch design. the kindjal too could have looked a bit more middle eastern, more curved, but I remembered from the book that it was a straight double edge blade that curved at the end. so I tried to remember that when drawing it.

I always pictued the Fremen as a combination of Bedu and Samurai cultures (not as strange as one might think, to both honour is perhaps the most important thing, mroe important than life itself) and since the crysknives are made of sandworm teeth, I always saw them as curved and of various sizes, so like a Samurai Tanto for the smaller teeth, and a full sized Katana for the larger ones, just with black rounded hilts and no gaurds.

It's no more right or wrong than others versions of them, it's jsut my personal interpretation of how they look.

I like the Arrakis one.  It reminds me of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" how the greenish haze seems to cradle/flow around the two moons.  And the Orni gives a neat sensation of how vast the desert is.  But I told you all of that already.  ;)

Also, not to sound like a suck-up, but I like your choice of frame for Cala City.  It's nice and natural-looking.

I disagree mahdi, with the whole samauri thing, it is a lot more complicated culturally than that, but I wont argue, especially since you are global mod and all... tyrant *caugh* lol ;) 

I always saw the crysknife as looking similar to the Kris swords of the east indies. They are wavy bladed, used for piercing, but are good for slashing. I was able to use one in my testing for second level grade of sinnawali arnis (double sticks in that art, eskrima as it is also called). It is really cool looking, and vary in size. I was able to use one with a sort of buckler type thing, though it wasent required for the testing since I was still really low in the ranks.

anyways the reason why isnt just the similarity of the sound and spelling of the words crys and kris, but also that they have similarities in language and other things as well as the DE showing the wavy bladed look.

I didnt draw it though because I thought the lynch version looked good. I will draw another one.

First of all, you're really better than me ain art! Now, this is really really nice. I still have a comment about this drawing done of Dune. Maybe the contrasts are too pronounced: I say this about the moons and the Dune-sky limit on the right. Perhaps the moons could be more discreet and the distinction between Dune and the sky more blurry on the right and the distance bigger, but this is real nice. I'm not someone used to comment art and study it, so up to you to distinguish what's worth somethign to you :)

Were these drawings of Dune and the city aimed at being romanticized?

Any plans for more such drawings? I'd love to see your representation of Bandalong or Kaitan.

And on a side note, TMA, I'd like you to be the first to congratulate me on my recent ascension to the top ten poster's list :) Pushing emprworm forever from it's ranks ;)

I think these should go under Fan Art on the main fed2k page. (would make great addition to the collections)

Maybe contact Gob once you are done drawing pictures. (as he likes to get everything at once, rather than over an extended period of time.)

I still like Dune the most. :P

okay I do believe inoc told me to make a pic of bandalong, the capital of the bene tlailax. I am posting this pic of it for responses to see if I am going the right direction with it. How would you guys improve on it? and what do you think so far? I also made it in 800 by 600. This is a rough sketch, but it is all planned out so basically I want to know what you guys would do to improve, and what you like about it?

I tried to make it look a bit like they have architectual origins of ancient islamic cultures like the ottoman empire, with their mosque like domes and minirettes (sp?).[attachment archived by Gobalopper]