The land of Junigard - A D&D RPG

Cyborg

I'm posting this to see how many people are interested in my ideas about this RPG.

It will follow the D&D rules to a certain degree, but the characters will have full control of what to do, with more or less no interruption from the Dungeon Master(me). However, I will decide quite much anyway.

All random events, all cities and dungeons will be controlled by me.

Also, the combat system will be much less strict, with more actions allowed. To make the game more fun, you can use all the items in the room to your advantage, so you won't always need to fight your way to the treasure chest if on a mission.

Personal belongings will also be approximate. You won't need to carefully write a list of everything you own, like in D&D, because I assume you have all the normal items you need. Special items, like magical items, things unusual to bring along and the like will have to be written down.

I know not everybody knows the D&D rules, but that is not required.

You don't need any knowledge about it at all when you start playing. The important decitions will be taken by me, like if you hit a troll extra hard or something like that. When you enter a fight, I will tell you your chance to hit the opponents and other useful info, and you, the players, write down what you do. This should not be done in a boring listed way like: I drew my sword. I hit the monster. But rather with rich language and explanations of what you did.

Your character will have these attributes:

Strength (fighter, paladin)

Dexterity (thief, ranger)

Constitution (fighter)

Intelligence (wizard)

Wisdom (cleric, paladin)

Charisma (sorcerer)

The classes in parenthesis are only suggestions to class names. You can make your own class if you like.

The exact same as in D&D.

However, they do not play such an important role here. They're just giving you and others a hint of how good you are at doing certain things.

Features and skills are also very restricted. You can choose a few things to be good at, may that be climbing, swimming, smithing, and so on and so forth.

Features tell you what weapons and armour you can use, as well as how you use your weapon(like if you are best with two swords or one sword, with shield or not, if you are deploying a special technique and similar)

No one has HP(hit points), because that would just make the game go slow and maybe unfair, so I decide when someone has had enough beating.

Here's a summary of the rules(also, a few rules have been added here):

* The DM is in charge of the game, and creates all events and places.

- Combat style:

* No one has hit points. The DM decides when someone is dying.

* The players are very free in the way the fight their opponents.

They can take advantage of even the smallest details in the room.

* Turns are not clearly starting and ending, but when you've done an action,

you must wait for the enemy to respond before you do your next action.

* You can have a job if you do not want to earn money by fighting. It's just as fun to make your way "up the ladder" without raiding and pillaging...

* You do not need to keep track of every little item you own, but you have to write down all special items you are in posession of(like magical items, quest items and such).

* Your character will have attributes, but they only work to give a hint about how good you are at doing certain things. Skills and features also work the same way.

* Turns aren't working in such a strict way as they do in D&D. There is no initiative, so anyone can be the first to strike in a battle.

Also worth noticing, I will make maps and pictures of places, rooms and items during the game.

A small map of the world is shown below:

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Would anyone be interested in playing?

The more players, the better!

When replying for the first time, please do the following:

* Choose a race for your character.

* Choose a name for your character.

* Choose a starting location for your character.(Use the map I've provided)

Then wait for me to create the attribute points for your character.

When I've done that, please do this:

* Place the points(6 numbers) I gave you on the attributes of your choice.

* Choose a class

* Write about your character

- Include:

* The name of the character

* The age and appearance description(based on your charisma. If you have a charisma of 8 or lower, you're not looking good, and if you have 13 or higher, you're looking attractive).

* The character's hobbies and everything else you'd like to tell.

Happy posting![attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Here's Fennriss' attribute point pool(sorted by value):

Please put them on the attributes of your choice:

Info about attributes:

Strength: Your ability to swing your sword with great power, or climbing up a hanging rope, e.t.c

Dexterity: Your ability to dodge hits, balance and move around swiftly, land after a big jump e.t.c

Constitution: How much you can take physically. A high value in this means you can take many blows, fall down from a tall cliff without dying, e.t.c

Intelligence: Your ability to understand the world around you, and to obtain knowledge(may be added to)..

Wisdom: Your personal insight, also covers knowledge.(may be added to).

Charisma: Your physical appearance and how socially intelligent you are(may be added to).

To answer your question, ExSPlug: Yes, you may create any kind of class you can come up with.

Race: High Elf(such as in the LOTR books, if possible)

Name: Galafang

Class: Monk, fighter/Kensai (Pretty much I am a monk that is really good with swords as well as his hands)

For starting equipment, can I have the following: Boots of Elven Speed, Cloak of Elven Kind, Several Shuriken, and 2 katanas(masterwork bastard swords) That sounds like the stuff an elven monk would have.

Starting location 5

Race: Tiefling

Name: Arakan

Class: Mage

When he was young Arakan stumbled across a portal into these foreign realms. He originated in another world, but memories of that place are far from him. Due to his slightly scary appearance (he's half demon) he has a low charisma, but makes up for it with his quick wit and silver tongue. He is highly gifted in mage craft and due to his race possesses several innate abilities. He is particularly resistant to fire, but susceptible to cold, also he possesses the ability to go unseen for a short amount of time and to levitate a short way up. He possesses nothing but a thick cloak, 100 gold pieces, a lantern and a hefty oak staff.

Location = 1

Phew, I see this thread without a single reply, come back an hour or three later and look what's happened...

Race: Drow (aka Dark Elf)

Name: Elv'tyrr Zauafin

Starting location: 3

(Class: Sorcerer)

[On a side note, when this thread was still in the making Sir Sard and I agreed to work together. I'm hoping he'll turn up soon, but his location would be the same as mine. I'd give you what he thought his character would be now, but he might have changed his mind]

Might as well go about description...

Like all of his race Elv'tyrr he prefers the dark, the light of day hurting his eyes. Time under the sun has adapted them, but not completely. His eyes are black all over, with no whites, though to those that can see in the dark (other drow, halflings etc) they appear a dull red. His skin is black. Not black like human skin can be but black as obsidian or ebony. His hair, on the other hand, is (to use a cliché) as white as snow. Not that it makes any difference in the dark.

He is a powerful sorcerer, and as such has had time not only to gain proficiency in his art but also in weapons training. He wields a black metal trident, and is proficient in no other kind of weapon but a simple dagger (i.e. swords, maces, shields are out; staffs etc are in).

Current inventory: Assorted alchemical reagents, the black trident, small dagger, light armour worn under black robes.

Oops, didn't mean to write that much... Ahh well. Gold, food etc carried by Sard's character, as he'll be stronger.

Name: Fenriss

Race: Dark Elf

Class: Sword Mage

Starting location: 1

Strength: 16

Dexterity: 18

Constitution: 9

Intelligence: 15

Wisdom: 9

Charisma: 13

All Fenriss could remember was his name, and his arts in fighting. According to the fishermen that saved him, he was hanging on a piece of driftwood when he was being saved. What was strange is that the piece of driftwood was charred and have elven runes on it, but neither himself or anyone in the City of Dockport understands it.

In order to prevent troubles and for the ease of making a living, he covered up the distinctive features he have(blue-black skin, blood-red pupils and long, black hair), he wears a set of grey turban and cloak.

Being a sword mage, he could imbue his sword with spells. When an enemy is damaged by the ibuned sword, the spell ibuned would take effect from the inside of his body.

Current inventory: steel broad sword, grey turban and cloak, steel brestplate and leather gloves

MESSAGE TO GALAFANG:

Welcome to this rpg!

Your attribute pool:

Yes, you may be of that race.

MESSAGE TO ARAKAN:

Welcome to Junigard, Arakan!

Your attribute pool:

MESSAGE TO ELV'TYRR ZAUAFIN

A great welcome to you, Elv'tyrr Zauafin

Your attribute pool:

INFO TO EVERYBODY:

I will try to make maps of the cities you're all starting out in soon. The game can't start before that is done(Please be patient, this will be done as soon as possible, but there's a lot of other work to be done too).

About parties:

Anyone can start a party/group of players. Just tell me that you're a group and that you will adventure together. Solo play will also be perfectly possible, and I will adjust the difficulty after how many members they are and what level they are.

Another thing. Levels will also not be strict here.

Levels only tell you about how good you are, and how good you can think your character is. Please don't try to be the best by always hitting the monster and such if you're fighting against someone of a higher level that you.

One last thing I have to inform you about in this post is the spell system in this game.

There isn't many named spells, but as a magician you're able to do magic of any kind based on your level. This means that you can use telekinesis, create fire, summon creatures of any type. You can summon more at a time and more often the higher level you are. A level one can light a candle, or set a person's hair on fire, as well as lift a sheet of paper a metre or two, his own imagination and level is the only thing limiting what he can do.

However, intelligence does matter for mages, charisma is important for sorcerers and wisdom for clerics and paladins. With a higher value than normal in your "spell attribute", you can incant better spells at lower levels. However, please do not think you're better than you actually are.

About someone getting fewer attribute points(when all six attributes are added to eachother) than others:

This is how I calculate your attribute scores:

For each attribute, two random numbers between 7 and 18. The highest of the two are stored as one of the attribute values in the pool.

Then, this process is repeated six times.

When this is done, if your total number of points is lower than 66, you're getting your values recalculated.

Those with the lower attribute scores will more often be lucky than the ones with high attribute scores. That's the way I've chosen to justify the scores.

STR: 17

DEX: 16

CON: 14

INT: 13

WIS: 13

CHA: 9

Galafang was once a monk in the monestary of Gulduth, one of the last refuges of the High Elves. Several years ago, a troop of bandits and ronin invaded and sacked the monestary, killing almost everyone they came across. Galafang did his best to defend his elders, but the quick swordswork of the Ronin quickly laid him low. He woke up 3 days later, laying on a dirty cot and tied up from head to toe. The Ronin had captured, him, and were going to do their best to kill him slowly and painfully, getting any and all information he had in the process. After they had tortured him for several days, a windstorm sprang up, and it knocked the lamps in the house down, burning it to the ground. In the confusion, Galafangs ropes were burned off, and he managed to steal two of the Ronins swords, killing the remaining guards and escaping. His face and body is horribly scarred and mangled from teh torture, and the fire(yup, real low CHA score) and he now spends his time hunting down people who murder and hurt for not good reason other than fun and profit.

Strength: 17

Dexterity: 15

Constitution: 17

Intelligence: 14

Wisdom: 12

Charisma: 10

I thought trolls are lot stupider...

Rifväder is young troll barbarian (fighting skill + wildreness survival). His family and other trolls escaped from the human race to the woods, where he found pile of old books and learnt to read. That's why he is unnormaly clever as a troll. Now when he is old enough, but still young he can leave the woods and show in the civilization. This will be after many years his meeting with human ones.

Your stats aren't shit, but someone indeed does have higher attribute scores than you.

However, I don't think you'll suffer.

I will add a little bit more before we start the RPG.

The game itself will take place in another topic, so this first one is for info and questions of all kinds.

Yes.

You write your actions yourself, and you don't have to feel restricted by anything other than your level, and maybe your class and main feats.

Main feats are just what you would say you excel in, like "I am best with katana and shield".

I will write the actions for all the enemies and "npc"s.

ok as promised Dustie here I am

Race: High Elf

Name: Turgon Fingolfinson

Starting location: 3

Class: Paladin

Items: A crystal longsword, blueish gothic shield and a suite of white armour, a crystal rose coat of arms, and white clothes.

Turgon is 207 years old (Young for high elf), about 1.90 tall and pale, even for a high elf, and for reasons they keep for themselves, travels with Elv'tyrr Zauafin, he is a member of the high elven Crystal Rose paladin order, dedicated to deal justice by the sword the Crystal Roses travel the world hunting down and slaying those they deem to be unjust.