Connection problems EBFD

cbrick04

Not sure about a patch just yet. I was talking to Olaf last night and he suggested the problem could be from EA's firewall setup. Maybe they did something to them after the recent worm attacks which coincided with our connection problems. I guess we'll wait and see what next week brings.

EA will patch Emperor when pigs fly

all that this bugging is gonna do is have them shutdown WOL faster. they won't tell you that on the phone; but mark my words - within a few more months, you'll get an announcement from EA: "WOL is shutting down in 90 days"

i don't mean to knock the effort of you guys.

i think it's sad that you guys are investing so much time and incurring long-distance charges to temporarily solve a problem even though in doing so, you are encouraging EA - because they think as the corporate whoremongers that they are - to get rid of WOL faster.

it's really a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

just don't be too disappointed when in the long run, all these efforts are in vain thx to the gluttony of EA

WOW Nav so much anger!!! I talked to EA and they sounded legit about wanting to get emperor back and running, so why would they waste there time to fix emp when there just gonna shut it down, as u say in a few months that would make no sense and im sure EA isnt that stupid.

Id b happy to play emp for a few more months rather then NOT, theres a few tournys and lots of friends.

:) 8)

why would they waste there time to fix emp when there just gonna shut it down

that is *EXACTLY* my point. you guys aren't speaking to EA Executives when you call them. you are speaking to the frontline staff. frontline staff don't make big decisions - they are more for customer service roles. however, the big noise being made about Emperor is going to catch some Executive's attention eventually, and when it does, he will say: "Why the HELL are we still spending money on Emperor?! I want WOL shutdown immediately!"

and once that happens, WOL is gone. it would happen on it's own anyways, but this WOL incident has greatly accelerated the process.

Im all so glad we have Nav around to tell us how EA operates. How is it that you know so much about what kind of decisions that the EA executives will make? You are a pretty smart guy Nav, why is it that you will make arguement about something you know nothing about? And if Emp does come back up maybe you can quit calling my 9 year old son a "GAY NOOB".Have a nice day Nav.

life is not like talking to the top Nav its about putting in your best and the ppl that r trying i have so much respect i know EA probally doeset care about me or u but i love the game i think u do to otherwise u wouldnt have anything to say so u and everyone should all B FRIENDS cause i think we all need to b we r all here for 1 reason EMP right Nav.I think if we could all play with u it would b cool i rember palyin with u long time ago when u started playin with thox and everyone why not go back to that i know that EVERYONE would have no problem being friends would u agree to being friends im down if anyone would say the same post it. If EA gets WOL up in a week lets take advantage of the time we have to play it might never b there again this is the best game i have EVER palyed lets have as much fun with it as we can period.

Nav if u have ever loved EMP we all have the same thing in comin no spaming or hating we r all in the same BOAT. ;)

cbrick - i've had this game for Eons longer than you, and i know the history of this game infinitely better than you.

you weren't around for the old Westwood Boards when Westwood would tell people that they were "working on a patch to make Emperor work better with XP". guess what? Westwood *DID* tell many people that, but that patch never came

you probably also do not comprehend that there are still thousands of gameplay bugs in Emperor that greatly thwart fair gameplay when two players of the highest possible caliber play vs. each other. at that time, it is not skill that determines the Winner: it is whoever has happened to have been able to exploit the most pathfinding bugs

Westwood was aware of these issues, and tried - yet failed - to patch some of them. ie: Ref Waypoints which are listed as a patch "feature", but they *NEVER* work. if Westwood had it's way, I am sure that they would have continued to patch Emperor until all these fundamental bugs were fixed. instead, EA made Westwood abandon Emperor - just as EA abandons *EVERYTHING* they ever release - long before Emperor was finished.

EA would not even let Westwood patch Emperor enough to get rid of the gameplay-ruining bugs. to think now that they are going to go out of their way to restore Emperor is simply naive. heck, even Gob said that they are not gonna spend money to fix Emperor. he knows how the Big Guns there think, as do I.

i am merely pointing out the reality of the situation for new guys like you, cbrick - who are not aware of the track record of EA or history of Emperor.

Nav - you may have had this game longer than I, and you may know the history better than I, but I think at times your outlook on life and sense of reality is slightly skewed.

But..... all in all I think Senda is right, lets quit bickering and try to get along.

Im down Nav u in why not have fun if its only 3 months of EMP im gonna take advantage of the situation lets play any and every tourny that we can right u gotta agree 2 a point not a perfect game but even though 1 of the best ever plzzzzzzzzzzzz I hope to play many games with u and I hope the same for everyone else cause im sure they would want to as well u have many ppl that would like to play and hang with u if u would let them why not give them a chance. ;)

I talked to WOL today and got the same answer also. I asked why we have to wait so long and was told that EA is currently having problems with Generals and Zero Hour and must get these issues corrected first. This is understandable because Generals is much newer and has many times more players.

1 more thing - WOL called me, I didnt call them, and the tech. actually hosted a game and tried to connect me with no sucess, 3 times. His machine freezes also lol. SO.... I do believe they are working on it. Please don't give up on them, be patient. I also brought up the point about the clans and ladders. He said possibly can fix, but lets adress the current problem first. So, if they do fix the connection problem then we will bombard them about fixing the ladders and clan manager. This is what the tech suggested, he told me that they are not allowed to fix the problems if no one is complaining about them. So we need to complain.

I think that it probably doesn't cost EA much to fix Emp, the servers are already there for the other games and cost to maintain them will be spent anyway. The only additional cost is a few hours of a techs time, who is paid anyway. So it may be in EA's best intrest just to please their customers so that we will purchase more of their games in the future.

Well it would be better if Emperor would just send the reports to our ladder instead of the non-existant WOL one. It is unlikely that if it was turned back on we would have as much control over it as we do now.

As for the clan manager, it can still be kept at WW, and shouldn't be hard to fix considering the clan managers still work for other games.

Well it would be better if Emperor would just send the reports to our ladder instead of the non-existant WOL one. It is unlikely that if it was turned back on we would have as much control over it as we do now.

that is not fair to real WOL players seeing as you have taken it upon yourself to make up your own "Rules" and which are fundamentally different than the WOL Rules and declare them Law because "You say so" - yet WOL/Westwood did not give you permission to do so.

if the Ladders are to be hosted here instead of the WOL Ladder being restored, then you Gob need to stop making up Rules off the top of your head (or the top of Vilgent's head, whatever the case may be) and arbitrarily declaring Westwood's own Rules to be invalid.

Westwood is the developer. Westwood designed the game and the Rules. Westwood beta-tested those Rules. Westood balanced the Rules for Tournament play. not you, Gob. not Vilgent. not the newbie masses who post fed2k. none of you are qualified or have the moral right to "re-balance" Emperor on behalf of Westwood by changing Westwood's Rules.

your invalidation of Official WOL Rules drastically thwarts the balance of Emperor that Westwood has put into place.

unless the Fed2k "ladder" is made to follow all WOL Rules, then it can not be considered as equivalent to the WOL Ladder.

It isn't equivalent to the WOL ladder hence it is not called the WOL Ladder but the FED2k Ladder. Obviously WW/EA would have to approve of the ladder if they were going to change the game to send reports to it. It would then be up to them to decide on whether or not the ladder we are running is suitable.

I would have no problem changing the rules. If they feel they are inadequate they will be changed. Until then the rules are going to stay the way they were voted in by the majority of people still playing the game because that is the reason the ladder was created.

the majority of people still playing Emperor have zero conception of the true depth of Emperor gameplay. how many others on this site besides myself even played on the WOL Ladder and still post here on a regular basis? 2? maybe 3 at most? the majority do not comprehend how every Westwood Rule is fundamental to the delicate balance of Emperor gameplay, and to remove or change Westwood's Rules destroys that balance. therefore, their opinions should not take precedence over the opinion of the developer of Emperor.

since you agree that the WOL Ladder is not equivalent to the Fed2k "Ladder" and are not willing to follow Westwood's Rules on the Fed2k Ladder - that necessitates that everything possible be done to restore the Official WOL Ladder.

props to Cbrick for opening the door about that, presuming what he is saying is correct.

Nav are you deaf? I said if Westwood is willing to redirect game reports and make our ladder the official one I am willing to change the rules to fit whatever they say. Right now there are no official set of rules out there so I can't do that.

And the ladder is the way it is because the idea behind it was to provide something beneficial to those that still played the game. Who cares what conception level the people playing Emperor today have, if they want certain rules then I'm more then willing to provide them.

Why should it have unwanted rules when this is something being done to benifit the *current* players especially when the vast majority of them agree on it. It doesn't create any huge imbalance in the game and almost every game reported to the ladder so far has been above both the 3 and 1 minute guidelines anyhow.